Last day in Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
November 4th 2012
Published: November 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Last day in BA

It was a bumpy start to the day thanks to the night before and we settled into an easy pattern for our last day of leisurely eating and wandering. As it was a Saturday the city was packed, corner cafes were full and Palermo Soho was buzzing.

A last round of shopping and lunch in a corner cafe that was excellent for people watching got us through to the opening time of the Museo Evita. Evita is known as the "Spiritual leader of Argentina" and most of our reference points about her come from the movie so we were determined to see the museum on our last day.

Expecting a very touristy and cheesy place we were truly surprised at the level of detail and thought that had gone into this. The museum is housed in the number two temporary home for women and children that Evita established as part of the social justice and welfare reforms and is a place of grand architecture and large rooms which housed and fed many in dire circumstances.

Large black and white photos, video footage and newspaper articles show you how revered Evita was by the working class of the nation and how feared she was by the upper class. There are many personal effects on display- dresses, hats and shoes along with family documents and even her perfume bottles that give you a sense of who she was. Were the social reforms she worked for a success or did they fall with her death........ I am going to have to do some reading to answer the questions I now have.

As one does in BA on your last night and not to be put off by the last parrilla dinner, with a recommendation from the hotel we give the
" meat" another go. From the moment we stepped through the door, T-Bone did not disappoint, see you really can tell as soon as you enter a place! Warm home made crusty bread , malbec tenderloin and creamy mash, dulce de leche crepes and a beautiful malebec wine made for a long and luxurious dinner. Ahhhhh so happy and what a way to end our stay in this incredible city.

We have walked, eaten, shopped, laughed and soaked up the culture and atmosphere of Buenos Aires, the days have been long but the hours have flown by. The Portenos have been always gracious and patient and I have to say very honest when we have misunderstood the numbers they quoted and we handed over too much money, they have pointed out great spots to eat and warned us to take care. I am a little sad to leave but the 8am Buquebus ferry to Monetvideo, Uraguay awaits....

Pxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb