Us so far - having a ball!!


Advertisement
Published: January 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A Happy BoyA Happy BoyA Happy Boy

Here is a photo of a world cruiser
21st and 22nd spent at sea chilling out – very pleasant way to pass a winter that’s for sure. BUT a blot on the landscape!!!! Elderly men passed their peak by many a decade – strutting their stuff around the poolside in speedos and thongs!!!! Not a good look at all!!!! Especially when they climb out of the water and said speedos/thongs have become transparent ….. Yeeeeeeurk! Also there are those whose stomachs are so big you can’t even see their speedos!

23rd January arrived in Salvador where we had decided to do our own thing as it’s not very big. Caught a “free” shuttle bus (organized by the largest jewelry chain in Brazil. This took us up to the old town passing through the new (?) town en route. The driver took is up many very narrow streets full of tumbledown houses with people sat in doorways and dogs lying around – he did come across a dustbin wagon, stationary, sweeping up mounds of rubbish which normally you would have been stuck behind but the driver told us it was too dangerous to draw to a stop so just mounted the pavement and squeezed through a very narrow gap.
Us being posh againUs being posh againUs being posh again

Homer Simpson is hidden in the mural behind us


On arriving in the Old Town, which for sure, had at one time been beautiful we were surrounded by people trying to sell us things we didn’t want. We felt obliged to visit the jewelers as they had provided the transport. Of course this was the usual phirana moment being pounced upon from our moment of entry by a rather beautiful assistant. As soon as I showed interest in a topaz ensemble of necklace, bracelet & earrings they were on my neck. It took some time to extricate the price in US dollars – 28,000 to be precise. Scott went white and laughed rather nervously. I think he wanted to impress the assistant but even he realized this was not possible. Eventually it came down to 17,000 and I managed to get it off my neck and we made a swift exit. It was really beautiful though….

We continued to walk down the mainstreet but each time we decided to turn into another road either the police or other people would run over and say it was too dangerous to go anywhere off the beaten track. So after walking around for a couple of hours being harranged by all manner of sales people we decided to make our way back. We took an elevator to the lower town which was close to the port and walked through a market but once again were told not to go down certain roads. We were told that people would have guns or knives and would use them to take away anything they might think valuable. We had already removed all jewelry at the ships suggestion before leaving and didn’t have much cash on us either so we wouldn’t have been good pickings but luckily no one we came across was threatening. Such a shame and can really see why because the people are so very very poor. We did come across people playing street music and dancing in different styles which was good to watch but am afraid the overall experience of this old city was not a particularly enjoyable one. Don’t think we will ever go back. No I’m sure we won’t.

Also the tales that came back to the ship were quite numerous with people who had had to visit the police because they had been mugged or attacked but I think these might have got a little
Band playingBand playingBand playing

Back of the ship at noon - to help pass away the day
embellished in the re-telling. Anyway that was Salvador as we saw it. To think this will be one of the venues for the next World Cup I dread to think how they will get it to the right level. Anyway I hate football so good luck to them!

We were late sailing away as the re-fueling ship had arrived late but the ship made up the lost time over the next couple of days

The next day was spent on the ship doing more of the same – we are trying to get to the gym for an hour or more each day just to try to work off some of the plentiful food which is all so tempting. We also received an invitation to an “around the World Voyagers” dinner to be held in Auckland at Sky City along with the other people who are doing the whole world (around 500) and the top knobs of Cunard. Have heard that Sky City is fab so that’s something to look forward too. Also it means more free wine!!!

There was also a Burns Supper but other than doing one Gay Gordons it wasn’t that much of an
He actually went down the corrider in thisHe actually went down the corrider in thisHe actually went down the corrider in this

On his way to do some ironing
event. The queue was too long to be bothered to stand in to get into the room where they addressed the haggis. Did have haggis, tatties and neeps at dinner tho and wore Julie’s sash to mark the occasion.

25th Jan arrived in Rio. It was FAB. We were up at 6.00am to witness sailing into the port – it was awe inspiring to see the Statue of Christ the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf mountain, although Scott was busily snapping away from our shed when he realized it was a pylon and that the Statue was on the other side of the ship. So hurriedly got dressed and went out on deck. It was unforgettable. We had booked a trip to Corcovado (where the statue is) through the ship which was leaving at 8.30am – this was held up a little as it took some time to park the ship because it was difficult to negotiate into the port – the Captain did say we had only 2 feet of water beneath us and ships have been known to bottom as they negotiate in.

Anyway we didn’t and after a short delay we were off. The guide on board was really excellent and very pretty. She also sang “The Girl from Ipanema” as we went along. Rio was the complete opposite of Salvador. The people were friendly although once again we were warned to be careful about where we went on our own and to watch our bags. We didn’t see anything untoward and thought the place really fun, friendly and vibrant but could have done with a knowledge of Portuguese language to help us along. The coach took us to the Fenicular (don’t know the spelling) railway which took us through part of a rainforest and up the Statue. What an iconic location with breathtaking views of Rio and the coast line – so beautiful!
On the way back we asked to be dropped off at Ipanema Beach – the guide told Scott to hide his big camera in his bag as a precaution.

This part of the town was very modern with some lovely shops, and once again, friends, Scott bought T.Shirts, I bought nothing!!!! (Am sure I will make up for this behaviour at a later date). We had problems getting cash out of the banks as everything is so security conscious we had
SalvadorSalvadorSalvador

This is as good as it got
no idea what we were doing and even when we pressed the “talk to us in English” button we failed miserably. We did however have some Brazilian currency and some American dollars but not very much. However Scott got his card to work in the shop where he made his purchases. We then went along to to the beach where we met some fellow travelers and sat and had the most wonderful freshly cooked prawns – sooooo tasty! The sand was so hot it could not be walked on in bare feet although the locals managed without any problems. Scott stood and admired the girls playing volleyball – apparently it was a very interesting game and it certainly wasn’t their very tiny bikinis which kept up his interest. Always been a sports fanatic it seems and suddenly female team sports has just become top of his list! There was no way I would have got down to my swimming stuff surrounded by such wonderful bodies! We eventually took a bus back to the ship passing through Copacabana which was actually similar to Ipanema but with more hotels.

Although the ship wasn’t sailing until 11pm it wasn’t worth staying in the heart of Rio as we were told the nightlife doesn’t really start until about that time. So once back we went off out just into the port area to the internet bar where we used the cheap and fast internet connection to catch up on all your news. Of course, we had to imbibe in a few Caipirinhas (hmmm not sure if that’s spelt right either) whilst doing this. They are sooooo good!!

Back on board for the sail away party on deck. Great music, great dancing and great food and drink. What a wonderful day – keep having to pinch ourselves to believe we are really doing this!!!

26th Jan – Ship very quiet today I think everyone is in recovery mode. I did go to the gym but then Scott came to tell me a film was on which I had wanted to see – so stopped the exercise and went and sat in the cinema. The film was written by the Likely Lads writers who are on board and also give talks from time to time. They are really good – as was the film. It was based on the Beatles music and the 60’s and 70’s – think it might have gone over the heads of some of the wrinklies who were in the cinema. They also wrote (which I didn’t know) The Commitments which will also be shown soon which we will go and see again.

In the evening we were invited to the Captains Cocktails for the Around the Worlders so once again freebies which cannot be passed over. This time the cocktails were plentiful and although we didn’t queue to see the captain (far too long a wait) he came over to us for a chat – he is quite a character!!! Seems quite ordinary and likes a laugh. After several champagnes and gin martinis we wobbled into dinner. Later met up with mates in the pub, joined in the quiz, didn’t win!

27th – Slow start – I am actually still in bed typing this up. Scott has gone off to the lecture but it seemed a bit of a heavy topic so I am going to get up in a minute and go to the gym. Have just been joined by the Steward because Scott had put up the Do Not Disturb notice but hung in
Salvador looking goodSalvador looking goodSalvador looking good

Colourful from a distance
back to front so it read Please Make up Room. Not sure who was most embarrassed …. Him or me. Scott also bumped into a couple of folk he knows this morning – one whose crown had fallen out and one who had a bad chest – so they were off to the Doc. It’s 60 dollars just to see him regardless of what he does – even if he says take paracetemol and 30 dollars for his nurse to be in attendance. So we are not planning on needing anything done!!

Tomorrow it is Montevideo in Uruguay. Forecast is 30 degrees and sunny. We’ve decided again to do our own thing, so hopefully we will still be around to bring you news of that trip.

In Montevideo now and the day here is just coming to an end. Its a fab place and have had a great day. The people are really friendly, the food is good and we have done loads but will write more and do photos once we are at sea!! In a crowded internet cafe at the mo with lots and lots of very noisy people and elderly folk who dont know what they are doing. So am just about to download photos onto this blog.

Hope everyone is well and happy and the next time we will be in touch will be a while now as after tonight we are at sea for 6 days crossing to Cape Town where 1,600 people get off the ship including all the pals we have made but expect we will just have to make new ones. Also have stocked up with gin and wine so a good time will be had. Speak soon. xxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

Brigit BardotBrigit Bardot
Brigit Bardot

aka Kim - with Sir Ivan the speaker
palspals
pals

These two tried ignoring us cos they thought we were trying to make a buck taking photos


29th January 2011

Brings back memories
We remember Corcorvada and Ipanema well - your blog is great, keep up the good work,both us and our friends are enjoying it muchly. Keep safe and well lots n lots of luv
29th January 2011

What a superb way of keeping in touch -forget about cards- We, along wirh our friends are so enjoying it - can't wait for the next chapter. (maybe you should take up writing seriously) your photos are fun and you both look so well -specially in the pale Evening dress (that is Su of course). Roll on the next editionxxxxx
1st February 2011

Blog update
Su, Scott love reading the blog this made me giggle "too dangerous to draw to a stop so just mounted the pavement and squeezed through a very narrow gap"!!! I can picture the scene. Look forward to next blog. Elaine xx
1st February 2011

Scottie
Really enjoying all this from very cold Toulouse. Everyone wants to know how it's going. Jeff Marsh would like to be added to the circulation on Jeff and Jane Marsh (JIMarsh10@gmail.com). Oh yes, Sugar loaf and Scottie - which one is which? Keep on keeping on. :-D
1st February 2011

Wow !! it really is a good read,and keeps us thoroughly entertained.Pictures are very good and you look very elegant, both of you !! Looking forward to the next adventure in Cape Town. lol A & T xx
3rd February 2011

Hi Sue and Scott ! Thank you very much for the lovely card, what a surprice ! I will display it on the mantlepiece when the fireplace gets installed next week... Love reading your blog and seeing you in all those wonderful places, how many long evening dresses do you have Sue ? You're looking stunning in all of them ! Scott, you look very smart too ! Keep enjoying yourselves, happy cruising to you both, love, Anna xx

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb