On our way to Mauritius


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban » Morningside
February 9th 2011
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well!!! It’s now 6th February and I haven’t written anything for days – just too busy! Will now try and do a quick update – Scott has been doing lists so we wouldn’t forget.

Montevideo was great – very much more European than Brazil had been. In the morning we got the courtesy bus to a shopping mall where we re-stocked on gin and tonic and red wine – had a wander round and saw many of the passengers doing the same thing. After we had taken shopping back we then caught the bus to Independence Square and strolled the streets of the Old Town and visited the market. Also went to a huge market like building which was filled with all different restaurants cooking their meat and fish on huge barbeques – it was fab!! Had a few drinks and strolled back towards the ship stopping off at Internet Café to use cheap internet and send off the last missive.

Between Montevideo and Cape Town there has been a long spell at sea – so very relaxing. Found out that Fellatio’s name is Fioretta – now all I had to do was remember it!! Sat down for dinner
MontevideoMontevideoMontevideo

A happy man
one evening and they toddled in quite pissed after having been to a Cocktail Party with the Cap’n and had obviously made the best of the opportunity of free drink. Very amusing as Glynn told the same story over and over again at dinner followed by a few racy jokes – a very different side of their characters than we had been used to.

On the 1 Feb we passed the most remote inhabited island (they don’t even have an airport) in the world – Tristan de Cunha – this brought much excitement as the QM2 detoured to be close by and exchange gifts with the people. They sent small boats out to sail close to the ship and then through bucket after bucket secured by a rope from one to the other. Not sure what they were given as presents (probably Cunard pens and beanie hats!) but the Captain told us that the lobster and seafood that they gave to the ship had tasted very nice!! The population of the island is 250 and the island is volcanic – apparently there was an eruption in the 60’s and all the inhabitants were evacuated to the UK for 9 months. There were many people on the shore all waving as we sailed by and the ships hooters kept going off in recognition – very emotional!!

More sun worshipping, socialising and general enjoyment over the days. Also went to an interesting talk on the bridge that showed us – very reassuringly – how the ship stays afloat and how water is moved around the ship for ballast.

The ballast for the ship needs to be good judging by the size of some of the people who sit around the pool – it can be difficult to see if they are wearing their bathing suits or not as they tend to get hidden in the rolls of fat. The one very good thing is that we feel quite trim in comparison!!! I must say people watching is extraordinarily entertaining and all done behind sunglasses. Scott is becoming less and less tolerant as the days go by which is also very amusing as he huffs and puffs his way around amongst the rude, the ignorant, the fat, the slow, the zimmer frames, the mobility scooters, the pushy and quite often a mixture of all of the above-mentioned attributes. Fortunately we have met up with quite a few really fun people now who fortunately share the same views and sense of humour!!!

Towards the last few days before arriving in Cape Town we had a “champagne in our shed” night with our mates before dinner. We had been given the bottle when we had got on the ship and felt it needed drinking. Also the people we have become friendly with are all getting off in Cape Town so we are soon to be ‘Billy No Mates’ once again. This was repeated in Peter and Sue’s (one of the two couples we have become friends with) cabin a couple of nights later.

Friday 4th Feb arrived in Cape Town at lunch time. It was a fabulous arrival with lots of small ships coming out to greet us and sail in with us and lots of hooters going off. The view was stunning with Table Mountain as a backdrop.

Disembarked the ship and jumped in a taxi with Fioretta and Glynn and Peter and Sue and went straight to Table Mountain. Got the cable car up to the top – it was awe inspiring – I think probably the most fab place I have ever been. We stayed up there maybe a couple of hours doing the walks with Scott taking hundreds of photos. When we got back down we jumped in another cab to take us back to the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront area which is a very modern part along the seafront and is full of interesting shops, bars and restaurants and with a working port running through it – a bit like Barcelona only on a much larger scale. Here we all split up to do our own thing – arranging to meet Peter and Sue later when we would also meet up with Wendy and Phil. Wendy and Phil were meeting up with Aussie mates who were about to get on the ship to sail home to Perth.

After meeting up and having a few drinks Peter, Sue, Scott and myself took a cab into the heart of Cape Town – Wendy and Phil sadly had to go back to the ship to pack. We strolled down Long Street which is full of bars and eateries and is probably the backpackers paradise. We ended up in ‘Mama Africa’s’ which is a music bar/restaurant. It was a magical evening. The band were excellent – used no amplification – it was all drums, wooden xylophones, a trumpet and a man with the most amazing voice, people dancing, bar staff dancing as they served – just wonderful. Whilst we were there we also had a bar snack and tried crocodile for the first time – once again just like chicken although a bit rubbery in texture and more juicy. Went down a treat with all the Margaritas!! Very sad when we had to leave but had to get back to the ship to have last drinks with Wendy and Phil and play our last quiz as a team. Made it a bit better when we won the quiz – it took until the last night but at least we did it!!!! Very sad at losing our new friends – wish they were coming all the way round with us.

5th Feb had a relaxed start and then got the shuttle bus back to the Victoria and Alfred Port area where we caught a hop on hop off tour bus. This was really good – it took us through the heart of Cape Town showing some famous and infamous areas – lots of history of Mandela and the struggle for against aparthied. Also history of South Africa and how Cape Town developed – very very interesting. Lots and lots of photos. The bus then went along the coast roads showing us a beautiful coast line along the Atlantic – apparently the sea is only 14 degrees and it is the height of their summer – it warms up in the winter when the air is cooler. Decided to take their word for it! We passed by Bantry Bay and got off at Camps Bay which we were told is the area of the rich and famous – it is very beautiful. Here we stopped for light refreshment and a stroll.

Time went far too quickly in Cape Town. I think it is one of the best places I have ever visited and we are certainly going to come back here and spend much more time looking around. The people are some of the friendliest people we have ever come across. The climate is wonderful, the food and drink is good and just generally a great ambience. LOVED IT!!!!! Have already put feelers out for maybe spending a month or so here next winter.

Had to be back on the boat by 5.30. It was hard to leave – not only because Cape Town was a wonderful place but because we had had to say goodbye to some good friends and soul mates.

The ship is now full of Aussies sailing home to Perth, Adelaide and Sydney. Must say that the average age on board the ship has come down significantly and it is much noisier and livelier.

We have been put on a new table for dinner – an Australian couple who seem very nice indeed – an Australian older single female who on first impression seems slightly mad and a couple from Derby who seem completely battie (sorry Ducky!!) They aren’t old just a little strange – well she is only weird in the fact she is married to him as he seems very odd. No doubt as things develop all will become clear. Must also mention that this is a hosted table – apparently it’s the Chief Engineer’s table. This translates into that on each formal evening he entertains the table with his presence and more importantly buys the drinks!!!! A
Mama Africa'sMama Africa'sMama Africa's

Wonderful
coup I feel.

Today is a day at sea where as you can see I am catching up with the blog. Tomorrow we arrive in Durban where I will hopefully find an internet café to post this from.

Ooh and one last piece of vital news. We have become Gold Card members which is another badge for Scott!!! This also means that we now get 4 hours of internet at the ships expense and an extra cocktail party. Oh and forgot to mention that Ricardo our Steward got off in Cape Town for his annual leave and has been replaced by Butch. And, not sure if I mentioned it before, but there are always two meetings a day on the itinerary one Friends of Bill who we have worked out is Alcoholics Anonymous (so going to that one on last day of the cruise) and the other one is called Friends of Dorothy which I had thought might be for partners of alcoholics but Scott has been informed this morning, as he stood in the queue for Planatarium tickets, that it is apparently for gay men and those men who like dressing up in sequins etc..

Right
Patrick - the man who showed us DurbanPatrick - the man who showed us DurbanPatrick - the man who showed us Durban

and the mad chap from Derby on the far left
– off to enjoy the day but also need to download all those photos. Love to all. Xxx

Right we now have visited Durban but never found an internet café which was a bit of a nuisance.

Durban was interesting. We had been warned by many different people to “take care” “not to go out of the tourist area” “remove all jewelry ” and “don’t take out anything of value i.e. cameras”. Due to this there was some nervousness as we’d decided to go it alone and not use a Cunard tour. We took the shuttle bus to a waterfront tourist centre and set off for a walk along the front which was beautiful on one side with the Indian Ocean washing up on the white sands but on the other was straddled by awful looking buildings and very poor looking people. We’d been walking for about 20 mins when we came across the mad man from Derby and his nice wife who were not sure where they were as they hadn’t brought a map and the only thing he wanted to find was a curry house – sadly this wasn’t shown on our tourist map.

A
Sand sculptures in DurbanSand sculptures in DurbanSand sculptures in Durban

This one's for you Grant
large chap in shorts and t.shirt approached and asked us if we were lost and did we need any help. We told him all was fine but did he know of a good curry house (man from Derby) and was it safe to walk into town (Scott). He then proceeded to tell us it would be ok if we stuck to the main route, take off any watches or jewellery, keep cameras hidden and wear our bags to the front, oh, and if anyone tried to snatch anything let them have what they wanted to avoid being “stuck” (knifed). Well that did a lot for our confidence!! He then told us he was a policeman but was off sick as he had hurt his back whilst chasing robbers in January and did we want him to show us around Durban in his car. I said that sounded like a great idea but Scott was a little more cautious because, as he explained later, we had no idea he was telling the truth. Anyway the overall majority decision was to take off with him. The next few hours were really really interesting. He drove us all over and am sure showed us places that the tourists never see. We saw everything from abject poverty in the shanty towns to the houses of the mega wealthy and everything in between and he also told us some colourful stories too. When it was finished we went back to the touristy centre where he joined us for a drink and then told us some more interesting stuff about the life in South Africa he had led, and later, took the man from Derby (Paul) and his wife (Claire) off for a take away curry which they ate in his car. Unfortunately we didn’t take many photos as we were instructed to keep our bags between our knees on the car floor because windows had to be kept open as he didn’t have air conditioning and it was over 30 degrees outside.

We returned to the ship shortly before it was due to sail but then it got held up as the people that were coming overland from Cape Town (on a scenic road route) were late getting back. We were a bit knackered so took dinner in our cabin rather than go through palarva of getting dressed for dining room. We did go to the show which was, for a change, really good. A British comedian who could sing – but have forgotton his name now (editor note: Mike Doyle) and every act is listed as being either “award winning” or “internationally recognized” but am sure that is stretching it a bit.

Anyway, he was really funny, with a good voice. He managed to get the whole audience, at least those who hadn’t drifted off, up on their feet for a rendition of “Daydream believer” which I can tell you is an amazing feat. I think the credit has to go the large proportion of aussies on board for this leg, who clearly like to enjoy themselves.

When we got to the theatre it was the usual stramash with all the people who need walking sticks, zimmer frames, or mobility scooters – or those that are so obese they move very very very slowly – suddenly have a miracle occur as they bolt for all the very best seats regardless off who they might trample on en-route. I was a bit tired and emotional from the day and unfortunately as I approached two reasonably well positioned seats a chap told me he was saving them for his friends – my tiredness and emotional nature came to the front as my head did a full 360 and I tore into him. It wasn’t until I went to sit down, a few rows in front and to the side that I realized he had ticked two of the minority boxes (or one in the case of people on this ship). He had a walking stick and he was black. I had noticed neither. I now have vowed to keep on a sane face and head and will smile and hum in the face of adversity in the future. Well I think I will anyway.

We are now back at sea – arriving in Mauritius the day after tomorrow. This morning we went to a talk by Lynne Truss, who some may know as the author of “Eats, Shoots & Leaves” which has apparently sold 3 million copies worldwide. A very amusing talk on the topic of punctuation!

The weather continues to be excellent, the food is good, the drink even better, so we are still of the opinion it’s a cracking way to spend the winter – but we are not half way yet!

Just to download a few more photos and then will post this using the expensive ship’s internet (although now have the aforementioned gold card members free 4 hours)!!!

Have just spent ages trying to upload photos but it wont let me - will try again later. Love to all



Advertisement



9th February 2011

Great reading
Have awaited eagerly for this Blog, and it didn't disappoint, pity about the lack of photos, but never mind, something to look forward to, you certainly seem to be having a "mega"wonderful time and I am sure this will continue, loads of love from us both xxxxxxxxxxxx
9th February 2011

Hey!
Hello! Looks like you're still having a brill time then! Great read, sounds like you've seen some amazing places. Just been browsing through Google street maps, pretending I am walking down the streets with you whilst sitting at work! :) At least I can daydream about it! Love the Ape picture! Thats amazing!! See, I could be doing something much more valuable with my time like helping that guy make sand sculptures! :) Oh, and send us a bit of sun over will ya? Keep on keepin it on! Much Love! X
9th February 2011

Golf
OK - So which deck is the golf course on? Love the blog, keep it coming. Also I thought you would go round South America and keep going around the world, did the navigator get lost?
9th February 2011

email?
Hi, So pleased you liked Cape Town, one of my fave places. We too aim to 'over winter' in South Africa sometime. See you there? Did you get my email about John Gilchrist joining the ship at Cape Town? Enjoying reading the blog. Hope all well at home with doggies and cats etc. David FINALLY semi-retired! Note the semi bit. lol Jenny x
13th February 2011

Ahoy!!!
Hi Still enjoying hearing all your news and gossip - Glad you enjoyed South Africa so much - you hear various reports but yours is very positive. I didnt know that you could be so angry Su - Scott look out!! We are just back from weekend at beach - Graeme and Sheri are over they arrived on Tuesday 9th and here till 22nd. Anne-Marie was over at the weekend - we all met for a curry on Friday lunch (well all 4 of us!!) She's looking well and thinking of coming back over in April with Donna - Ducky is also over on 18th April for about 2 weeks - I think they are all coming over for your arrival home!! Our weather has been great all week - hot and sunny and I actually sat out a couple of days and read my book - only in t-shirt! No doubt that will all come to a very cold and wet end soon but will make the most of it while we can.I'll go now - on Ali's laptop from work as ours is definately dead. Keep up all the writing and missing you lots. Have fun and enjoy!! Love Liz x x x
15th February 2011

We are sailing !!
So enjoyed your blog again & pleased you liked C/Town now you know why we go such a lot. Great place to be in the winter. Your photos are lovely, both looking well & truley chilled, O no that was the wine !! By the way I keep forgetting to ask you, have you met Marc's (dare I say girlfriend) she's called Lisa Garcia & works on the perfumes on board, if you do give her our love & tell her we hope to see her in May ! Love Ann xx
17th February 2011

Us Derby Folk get everywhere!!!
Hey Up mateys sorry I have not posted any recent comments on your brilliant travel blogs!!! Soooooooo you met folks from Derby.......well it is the "centre of the universe" hee hee I really scrutinised that picture but to my surprise didn't recognise the Derby couple I was going to ask you to interrogate them cos I am sure there will be a connection somewhere!!Well what an adventure..... never mind about all the fab places you are visiting I love to hear news of all your shipmates !! Look forward to your next news and how brill we will be in Toulouse on your return!!!!!!!!!! Love Susie n Ed xx
17th February 2011

Lisa
Hi Ann, Searched the poor girl out - found her in the Cunard shop where Scott found an interesting pot towel giving the speed the ship could do - out came the calculator again!!! She seems a very nice lass and I think she is looking forward to living on land again soon in the not too distant future. Love to all and love the recent pics of those twins - they are growing so quickly!! xxxx
13th March 2011
With the Cap'n

Bloody 'ell
Just browsing the photos. I like this one. Scott cleaned up nice !!! Where the hell d'you get those boobs from. I don't remember those last time I saw you!! Keeping up with the trip. Looks like you are having a blast. All our love. Mick Carole Nathan Elliott
15th March 2011

Bloody ell to you too!!!
How the hell did you find this photo???? hehehehe - it's amazing what eating a lot of puddings and wearing the right underwear does. Love to you all. Be good to see you one of these days. xxxx

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb