He he U-R-Gay!!!


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » District of Montevideo » Montevideo
September 14th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I will always remember the Simpson episode when Homer is looking at a globe and spots Uruguay and says "He he U-R-Gay!!". I think it was the episode when they were going to Australia.

Going from the guide book and fellow travellers there is not much to Uruguay and nothing that stands out as a must see compared to its neighbours but with us being so close and traveling around South America it would be a shame to miss it!

The only things I knew about this place before I read the guide book was its capital city is called Montevideo, I always remembered this from school because it had the word video in it! The second thing was they hosted and won the first World Cup and finally Diego Forlan was born here, former United player that we had a good song about after he scored two against the scousers! After reading the guide book there was not many more things worth remembering!

We decided to leave our main bags at the hostel and just travelled with a day pack as we only planned to stay for 5 days at the most so wouldn’t need too much and it’s always great to travel light. The quickest way to get to Uruguay is by ferry from Buenos Aires and our first stop was to be Colonia for 35 pound, pretty expensive for a 4 hour trip.

Colonia was a very nice old town with lots of old Colonial buildings and cobbled stone streets but after a walk around the town followed by a very friendly dog we thought well that’s that for Colonia as there was not much else to see and the place was very quiet. We decided to head to Montevideo and some where a bit more livelily. We arrived at about 9pm and first impression where not the best, the place to me looked like something out of an old eastern block country all grey and dull and all the people looked the same and even dressed like they were from there! The hotel we checked into was just the same very dull and grey but on the positive side it did have a great balcony.

The next day we went sight seeing around the city which is fairly small for a capital and populated by only 1.3 million residents. There was a few colonial buildings some similar to Buenos Aires but nothing too outstanding.

So after only 2 nights here we deicided to return back to BA. Pretty disappointing really and it’s the shortest time we have ever spent in a foreign country!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

MontevideoMontevideo
Montevideo

Michelle waving like the Queen from the our room!
Poor kids!Poor kids!
Poor kids!

School uniform for kids in Montevideo!


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb