First class all the way!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Iguazú National Park
September 19th 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Champagne!!Champagne!!Champagne!!

Our bus ride to Iguazu, first class all the way!!
After such a great time in BA we decided that we bet a get move on and next up was Misiones on the Brazilian and Paraguay border for the spectacular Iguazu falls. People have raved about it and said it was one of the highlights of their trip. We had to pay 25 pound for the 18 hour bus journey which we thought was a bit steep compared to what we have been paying. It turned out to be worth it, we were given a hot meal with wine and then later on some champagne, first class all the way! We were well chuffed and it was a great way to finish our last few days in Argentina.

We finally arrived in Puerto Iguazu and as soon as we stepped of the bus we were hit by the tropical heat, which was a nice surprise compared to the rain we had in BA. The novelty of the heat wore of quickly enough as we had to walk around in heat of 35°c with our backpacks trying to find the hostel we were staying at.

After checking in we walked to the 3 frontiers, a tourist spot where you can
3 points!3 points!3 points!

Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil border
see Brazil and Paraguay across the river Parana. It was a nice enough spot but the heat and humidity was too much, my T-shirt was soaked. I think its going to take us a few days to get used to this! Typically with Michelle being the women she is, after months of moaning about the cold was now moaning it was too hot, can you ever win with them?!

The day after we went to the falls, the day started nice enough and then as soon as we got on the bus to the falls the heavens opened and it was a typical tropical down poor, lots of rain but it only lasted 15 minutes so wasn’t too worried as we were sheltered by the bus. We got to the falls and it still looked a bit cloudy but thought that at least the rain was over with and eventually it will clear up! We were wrong and it pissed it down until the afternoon and we got soaked as the pictures show!

We had to pay 13 pound to get in which included transport by train around the park. The park itself is very large and there are loads of different trails taking in a number of different points of the falls. We were both surprised on how huge this place is, the falls consists of 275 individual falls and are nearly 3km wide so there is so much to see. The largest point of the falls is the Garganta Del Diablo (Devils Throat) and the most spectacular part, 700m long and 150m wide. Like all the viewing platforms they get you really close to the falls but this one was ridiculous as we right over them and with all the spray it was like being in a shower, how the camera still works I will never know! The other trails and platforms gave you some amazing views and different angles and even with the rain at least the falls were clear and we managed to get some decent photos.

The falls were like everybody has said, amazing, a great thing to witness seeing such natural power cascading over the edge and the thunderous noise it made. The Argentine side you get the views looking over the falls and the Brazilian side you get to view the falls from below, which apparently is even more amazing so cant wait for that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb