inca trail


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 Inca Trail

Eight very anxious Anzacs three kiwi couples and two aussies got up at 5 am for early breakfast and on the bus to go from Cusco to Ollytaytambo on the first day of our trek. At the hotel we were greeted with 3 tour guides including our own John and some of the 15 porters who were to support us on our 4 day trek.
With backpacks minimised to very bare essentials which included 1 trek outfit to last 4 days, night thermals, a warm jacket and wind proof jacket and bare essential bathroom supplies including essential toilet paper we set out.
After about 45 mins we arrived at Ollytaytambo where we sourced any last minute supplies such as water, coca lollies to help with altitude and batteries for head lights. Toilet x 2 as we were nervous and our last cafe latte for the trek saw us girls with eyes filled as we contemplated the challenge ahead of us.
Back on the bus with the rest of our porters and a short 14 km drive up a narrow road beside the Ubamba river and we arrived at the first checkpoint to start the trek. More toilet pitstops for the girls due to nerves and we were ready to pass through the checkpoint and head off.
The trek starts off over a bridge across the river and then heads up for a fairly easy day to head to camp 1 of about 9 km with not too many challenging steep inclines. Lunch was a surprise with the porters having set up a tent ahead of us to have a sit down three course lunch before ....very spoilt.
Camp 1 was on a hill with a good view over the other campsites however our first night gave us the experience of one squat toilet that left much to be desired and was shared by all. Makes it easy to refuse to go. Can,t say squatting is my favourite position for this activity. Eight thirty saw us all in our beds anticipating the day we had all been training for.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb