up with the gods


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
June 19th 2011
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,
We have spent yesterday getting around Arequipa also known as the white city because of all the white volcanic rock they used to construct the old buildings. Visited many places around the city including the obligatory cathedrals and there certainly are a lot of them in peru which is a very Catholic place. The city is surrounded by volcanos .. good to know hey!
Headed off early by bus to Colca canyon area the home of the magnificent flying jumbo jets - the condors. They are second only to the Albatross in size. The road travels across the Andes where we stopped at the highest point 4900m above sea level. A quick photo shoot and pee stop there at the highest squat toilet (not a pleasant experience I can tell you) we all pretty much started to feel the effects of the high altitude from headaches to breathlessness to nausea( that was Me). The rest of the bus trip including cocoa tea stop was through mountain passes and winding roads to Chivay where we stopped for lunch and around there for night at Eco lodge. night time also found us in hot mineral springs which was fine till you had to get out into the cold night air.
Early to bed ( linda on O2) early rise and cold shower for 6.30 start across very bumpy 40 km road to the colca canyon. Well massaged bottoms from the bumpy road over the 40kms then found us walking towards soaring condors as they road the currents in spectacular style. Back down bumpy road for lunch and home to Arequipa.
Again early 4am wake up and on plane to Cusco tomorrow. More acclimatising there before trek. all party getting nervous now as it gets closer.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb