Riped Off At Bolivia-Peru Border


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Puno
April 1st 2011
Published: April 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Diane and I left La Paz, with Robin Hans and Baz ripping out the clutch from a brand new BMW F800 GS on the showroom floor of the local BMW Dealership, after Robin and Cory fabricated a successfulness plan to transfer the clutch from that one into Robin's moto.
The 3 Stooges, String, Paul and Wim, set off from the hotel, with the intention of the 3 Musketeers catching up with us along the way.
After crossing Lake Titicaca on the rumpty ferry we got to the Bolivian Border and there were NO MOTO'S there!! Where had they got to??. They could not have gone through, as I had Strings papers in the truck with me.
It turned out that they had gone into Cocacabana for lunch.
After about 20 minutes they rocked up to the Border.

We finally got out of Bolivia after they emtied both our spare 20 litre fuel containers, plus Robins, 10 litre bladder, as we may have concelled drugs in them !! They would not even let me put the fuel into the truck Dah!

They also charged all the boys, not String, Rosco or Wim, US$50 because the dope at Hito Jones had put something on the wrong line??? Bastards.

Passing into Peru, they would not let us bring the truck in because we don´t own it!! But we have the authority from my friend Rodrigus....."That is only for Chile", he said, "no way can you bring this tryçuck in!!!!!"

"But look at last year we did !!" Ii protested, so they look in the computer and sure enough there is Philip Munro, and the same truck. "So where is Munro now??"
And so it went on for 3 bloody hours!!, finally an exception was agreed US$ 50 and the paper came out of the printer. Bastards..
Next a Police check, Internationl Drivers licence, As we have never had to produce this before, I made a bit of a fuss, but finally produced an old one that I carry just in case.

"Oh, look this insurance paper does not have Peru on it, it is no good you can´t bring this truck with no insurance!!!", after much haggling and negotiations, that were getting us nowhere, finally I produce my NZ Police 'get out of jail patch' and suddenly we are all mates, shaking hands etc... Barstards, but finally we were on our way.
This bullshit really does not make you want to come back again. I really love Peru, but boy oh boy I hate getting in!!
We arrived finally in Puno, just as the sun was setting, but had to wait until 9.15 before the 3 Musketeers and Robin arrived, and I was sure glad to see them.
After some dinner we all retired for a well earned rest.

Everyone was up bright and early the next morning for their trip out to the Floating Islands of Lake Titicaca and the uneventful ride to Cusco, apart from the Hail storm that we ran into, well the 3 Musketeers were having luncch, while the others all rode through it, good one String, and they still follow you ???

Until Cusco, Cheers, Rosco



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



3rd April 2011

bribery
well this is all over i think in south africa it is worse at the moment the bribery and kick backs is rife here well until the next time regards peter

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb