Cusco to Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
April 3rd 2011
Published: April 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cusco and Machu Picchu
After we had washed the bad taste from our mouths over the Border transactions, we all settled down to enjoy Cusco and the surrounding Sacred Valley area.

As soon as we arrived, Jan was whisked off to hike the Inca Trail for 4 days, to join us again the night before our departure. By all accounts she had a fantastic time and saw things that you can only access on foot. She celebrated her birthday while on the hike, wow, what a birthday treat that was for her, ending with an emotional teary eyed view from the Sun Gate over Machu Picchu.

In the mean time the rest of us parked our motos up for a few days and boarded a mini bus that took us into every nook and cranny of the Sacred Valley, with our guide, Jaun, explaining all the details to us, he is so passionate and knowledgeable over the history of his country..

We visited the huge rock formations at Saqsayhuaman and the famous Pizac Market and the growing terraces at Moray, along with a visit to the Salt mine, we ate well drank well and rested well.

We
MorayMorayMoray

Growing terraces
also visited our little village of Willoc, away up in a secluded valley out from Ollantaytambo. It was great to see the kids again and to be invited into the ‘Home’ of a local family. We gave them fresh bread, pencils and paper and tooth brushes and past, of course we didn’t have enough brushes to go around, but I am sure they will be well shared…let the photos tell the story.
The road up to the village had suffered somewhat during the recent rains, so our driver had a few challenges. on our return we came upon a truck, loading carrots blocking our way. that was was no deterrent for our guys, off they go and grab a 100kg plus sack of carrots, much to the amusement of the locals, who had it off to pat, while our guys struggled to get it up onto the back of the truck, by the next sack they had it sorted, up she went, no problems, with lots of clapping and laughter, while our guys regained their breath, they then moved the truck enough for us to pass.

Our train journey to Aguas Calientes, following the raging flooded Urubamba River, had everyones attention the whole way, as some of the railway embankments had been washed away, so the train slowed to a crawl as we moved slowly past the workers that were shoring them up.

It was raining when we arrived at Argus Calientes, but by the time we made it up the mountain, the rain had stopped and the cloud drifted in and out, creating such a spiritual and ever changing scene. I have been fortunate to visit this site four times now, and every time it has been a new experience for me, such an amazing place….
After Jaun gave us a very informative tour of the main area, Baz, Hans and Robin set off for the Sun Gate, while the rest of us took the bus back down the mountain to a sumptuous lunch, beside the raging river.

The train ride back to our hotel was just as attention grabbing as the ride in, we arrived back at our hotel soon after dark .
After a great dinner (and during) a few adventurers, gave the bar a bit of a hiding, as the bar ran out of what they were drinking, they moved onto whatever stock was next….Breakfast was a quiet solemn time, followed by our return bus ride to Cusco.
We stopped off in Chinchero, to see how they dyed the wool fabrics with natural vegetable and insect dyes, quite a few purchases were made after our entertaining host had finished her presentation.
A relaxing after noon in Cusco ended our visit to this amazing place.
Cheers,
Rosco



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Willoc RoadWilloc Road
Willoc Road

There were some tense moments
Willoc HomeWilloc Home
Willoc Home

Jessica preparing the family dinner
Hans with VictoriaHans with Victoria
Hans with Victoria

Takes a month to produce this weaving
WimWim
Wim

Distributing pencils and paper
Mentor AlanMentor Alan
Mentor Alan

With the kids
Truck blocking our wayTruck blocking our way
Truck blocking our way

Loading carrots
Our boys get in behind!Our boys get in behind!
Our boys get in behind!

Carrying a 100kg bags of carrots


4th April 2011

Frogs as big as...
Rosco - Is that the same Jaun who told us the tale in 2008 of his discovery of "frogs as big as WV Bettles"?
4th April 2011

Sorry Keith
Sorry Keith, this is one that see's a lot of Puma and Llamas in the rocks, but a great guide all the same.
3rd June 2011
Tropical flowers

Name
a friend of mine has the same plant growing in his garden and i wounderd what its name is ??
10th June 2011

Tropical Flower
Hi Ian, my wife tells me it is a Datura. Hope that helps, Regards, Rosco

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb