Lake Titicaca, highest Lake in the world!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Taquile Island
January 28th 2006
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lake Titicaca Host FamilyLake Titicaca Host FamilyLake Titicaca Host Family

This is a picture of our host Girodino, in the kitchen of his home. The hats are made by the family, so they know we're staying with them! I bought mine as a momento, and its cool!!!
Picked up from the hotel at 7am, we were cycled to the harbour by the local bike taxis ( great fun! ). There we stopped at the market, to buy presents for the families we would be staying with that night. Presents consisted of basics, Rice, Pasta, Candles, even Suncream and Toothpaste.

We then set off by boat, across Lake Titicaca, 3,800 meters above sea level. Its so high, the clouds and the sky constantly feel just above your head, as if you really are at the top of the world. Our destination is the Island of Taquile, a 3 hour journey on our boat. Half way on the journey, our captain decided to leave deck to do some boat housekeeping, leaving the steering completely unattended for its 16 passengers! So, in to the captains chair I jumped, and navigated us across the Lake for a good half an hour, great fun! I sailed a boat on the highest Lake in the world!!!

We reached the Island of Taquile, where again we were shown yet more ruins, and we stopped for lunch, Swordfish, which was nice. They eat no meat on the Island, only fish. The Island has a population of 2,000 people. They live basically, have their own laws and culture, and nobody is allowed to move to the Island.

After a couple of hours, we set off to our next destination, where we would stay with our local host families for the night, on the Island of Amantani. Another secluded Island, away from the living world. We were given host families, 3 of us to stay with each family.

We were greeted by our hosts off the boats, and then taken to our new homes for the evening. This was an unreal experience, the most basic, closest to living off the land I have ever experienced. The houses are so basic, made of mud etc, with no running water, and little electricity.

A football match was organised against the locals once we had dropped our bags off, again 6 a side. The altitude on Amantani was closer to 4,000 meters, so being unfit, and playing football in the heat against the locals was hard work! We won once again though, 5-4, and I delighted the fairly big home crowd with 2 great goals, one a sweetly drilled left foot volley, and another MOTM award. I'm on form in South America!!!!!

We then went back to our homes for dinner. Again an unreal experience, the Mother of our family cooked us dinner on her stove, made of mud and clay, in her mud made kitchen. Soup, then Rice with Potatoes, again no meat on the island. The food was nice, and we then presented our gifts, and opened a bottle of rum we had bought, to the delight of our host father!

Then we were all to go to an organised traditional dance in the community hall. We all had to wear traditional clothes, loaned to us by our families. The girls had to wear full on blouses and skirts etc, whilst us lads got away with just having to wear stylish Ponchos!!! Our families also give us hats to wear that they make themselves in their own specific styles, so that they can recognise us, especially if we get lost on the Island somehow!!

The hall was heaving with locals and us tourists, with a traditional band belting out music, and lots of traditional dancing going on its was good fun. They also served some beer, so that made it more bearable!

After a good night, and a long long day, we retired back to our homes to our primitive, yet comfortable bedrooms. The host dad was had was completely hammered by now, not sure if we were supposed to get him drunk, but he had a great night!

A quick look up at the sky too, you cannot believe the sight of all the stars on a clear night in these parts, its awesome.

An unreal day, an experience that is a once in a lifetime.

Advertisement



8th February 2006

Good to here about all the great things your doing, sounds like your having the time of your life. Take care mate. PS Can you get me one of those hats??

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb