Floating Reed Islands


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Uros Island
January 29th 2006
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Floating Reed IslandsThe Floating Reed IslandsThe Floating Reed Islands

The floating reed Islands of Uros, Lake Titicaca.
Up early ( as always on this trip! ), and goodbyes to our families, we set off by boat again, another painfully slow 3 hour journey to our next destination, the floating Islands of Uros.

A bewildering sight, these man made Islands, made completely of reeds growing out of the Lake, and home to families. Everything is built by reed, the homes, even reed boats. They even eat the reeds, which has no taste whatsoever!!! After a briefing once we got there on how they live, we were given a short ride on an amazing reed boat, which me and made mate helped row across the Lake. I have now officially also rowed across the worlds highest Lake!

The Islands are actually anchored by wooden stakes, and they can be moved by boat if the locals require to do so. They have to do this every 5 years or so, as the Islands are constantly sinking.

A short boat ride back to Puno, and back to some type of civilisation, to cap off a totally unique and eye opening weekend.

We went for a group dinner in town that night, and again I was in bed for 10pm, completely knackered!

This was our last night in Peru. The first country of my tour, and a fine way to start, a truly diverse incredible place. Got to see a lot in the matter of weeks that was here in Peru, and learnt a lot about their civilisation, and the incredible Inca Empire.

Onwards....



Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb