Hey! ... Taquile!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Taquile Island
July 6th 2005
Published: July 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Good  byeGood  byeGood bye

Good bye adoptive mom... dad

We woke up at a reasonable 7:00 AM to fantastic pancake breakfast. We gather our belongings and were whisked away to the docks. Was said our yuspagara sunkis (thanks) and ripushaykus(goodbyes), hopped on the boat and went full steam ahead (5 knots) towards Taquile Island.

Taquile Island sounds way more fun than it really is. The location of the Island places it about an hour closer to Puno than Amantani, and has thus exposed it to the influx of tourists ... and their money for much longer than Amantani. This has created a rather cold, and "leave our money and get out" type of attitude amongst the people.

Additionally, we found out that the people of Taquile are a Xenophobic...ok too strong..... Introverted peoples. They refuse to mingle or marry outside of the Island. This has created some problems with genetics like shortened right legs and speech impediments.

We walked across the Island just to look around. At the summit we unexpectedly bump into Sam Hoys (our old tour guide) its seems he did hold his original itinerary and was able to by pass the events in Arequipa by hiring a bus out of Chivay and driving
TaquileTaquileTaquile

One of many generic archways along the path
his group directly to Puno. It seems we missed him in Chivay by only 1 hour.... in retrospect it would have been nice to hitch a ride with him.

After saying our goodbyes to Sam, we head back to the boat to begin our 3 hour tour....... our 3 hour tour. ... yeah sorry guys, nothing happened, (though Aless does look like Mary Anne) it was an uneventful trip back to Puno.

I spent the remainder of the evening steaming my self to a prune like texture.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb