Beachbumming in Mancora


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Piura » Máncora
December 10th 2009
Published: January 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Found a house on the beach, its part of a larger wooden beach house which has been separated into units, it has a really pretty garden with BBQ area and a long narrow lap pool niiicccceeeee. There are so many birds in the Garden, beautiful little yellow canaries and noisy Jays, John spotted a desert fox early the other morning.

Taking advantage of the beach and walking a lot, not smoking has affected my metabolism and I have to make an effort, still at times really want a ciggie. Found a little diner type place owned by a wonderful Floridian couple called Jeff and Kathleen or locally known as Papa Mo and Kika, their son is back in the U.S.and Mom and Pop are taking care of business and doing it well, The restaurant is called green eggs and ham and if you want a taste of home in the form of eggs as you want them bacon waffles and fluffy pancakes, this is the place for you, they also have a little shop with their own brand of clothes and a bar called Papa Mos, all great places to chill out and have a beer or icecream sundae.

The weather continues to be really windy and really hot making the dust unbearable, the fact that everyone is getting ready for the high season which starts in a few weeks and construction crews are everywhere, dust is in your eyes your clothes your food and your bed, Its a small price to pay to bee here at the beach coming up to Christmas though.

Tut-tuts are the preferred mode of travel or mototaxies as they are called locally, they are everywhere and its difficult to understand how they all make a living, the house was approx 2 kms away and that is a 3 soles fare, many of the drivers seem to have problems with their eyes and drive like nutters, don't put your hands out the sides of the taxis as they often pass so close to other vehicles you risk losing a hand.

Went to the hotsprings called Poza Barros, its basically a square hole dug in to the ground in the middle of the desert, its very weird getting into a bubbling hot bath in 85 degrees of heat but we covered ourselves in the smooth sulfurous mud at the bottom and after washing off our skin and hair felt very smooth and silky, very nice, we had decided to just take a mototaxi out to the spring instead of an organized trip and this worked well and we got some great desert photos on the way out, watch out for the goats and donkeys aplenty on your way out there.

We think we will leave Mancora around the 27th Dec as the season starts then and prices of everything go through the roof. We will see.

The surfers are expecting huge waves over the weekend apparently its a surge that has not been seen for years.
Checked out the local market here, colourful and interesting place, you need something this littles maze of makeshift alleys have it.

I have found the people here are similar to the coastal peoples of Ecuador, very easy going, laid back, a little aloof and generally move a lot slower than their inland counterparts, the Manana philosophy is alive and well on the north Peruvian coast. I'm loving the beach the long walks the waves and the sun is great but John is getting restless and I know we will wanna move on soon.

I'm still off the cigs, have not killed anyone yet and have so far managed to keep my temper in check, it gets easier all the time.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb