Time in Mancora


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Piura » Máncora
November 24th 2009
Published: January 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I have quit smoking after over 20 years of being a hopeless ciggie addict, Its bloody hard, I want a cigarette, right now I would sell my granny for 1 puff but I am determined, I am no longer a smoker.

Finding out a little more about Mancora and Peru in General, We moved to another hostal called Casablanca in the main village though it is quiet, the internet is really fast which is great and the people are very nice, its cheaper but we are very comfortable.

Taking long walks on the beach, its an interesting little town, when you head North along the beach, there is about 4kms of nothing but highend hotels and very grand private houses which we have been informed are mostly owned by well heeled limians, without a doubt very pleasant surroundings and lots of lovely restaurants.

The food is excellent bearing in mind Mancora is a little town, Cerviche is amazing without a doubt the best I have ever tasted, Its fresh fish, shellfish, calamari marinated in lime juice with corriander rocoto pepper and lots of red onions, served with a yam like potato, maize, (boiled and roasted) and salad. Lots of good Peruvian food and also other options as the town caters for tourists well.

The air temp is approx 28 degrees and windy bringing out the kite surfers in force, the waves break right up close to the shore bringing the surfers and kite surfers very close to us spectators.

John got badly bitten by what we think was probably sand flies (they come out at dawn and dusk) He had welts all over his legs and was in a lot of discomfort, We bought plug-in repellants, alcohol swabs, lemon juice, hot water and antihistamines, the sweeling and itch left after about 24 hours, which course cured him? who knows, he was just grateful they were gone.

We are looking for a house for a month as we have decided to stay for a while, It would be nice to unpack.

A few other observations about Mancora, Man alive it is dusty, it gets everywhere, the surrounding area is desert with a fine clay like dust, it rarely rains here, my eyes are badly affected. The cliffs around the village are interesting layered affairs that look like they may have been created by mudslides at one time, creating numerous Canyons that run down to the ocean, The birds are plentiful and beautiful, Finches, mocking birds, hawks and many others.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb