An Island in the Jungle...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Loreto » Iquitos
October 5th 2005
Published: October 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Iron HouseThe Iron HouseThe Iron House

Designed and built by Effiel (of tower fame), and brought piece by piece to Iquitos
Iquitos is hot, sweaty and rammed with autokars (Peru´s version on the Tuk Tuk) rushing everywhere. The main square is beautiful, with a church that when lit up at night resembles a story book castle.

We had a lovely walk around the town and had a great lunch in Ari´s Burger Bar, which is apparently THE place to hang out. Having been fed and watered we went about finding a tour to the jungle. Luckily the hostal was able to help us and we managed to book ourselves on to a 6 day excursion to the Amazon Explorers lodge (www.perujungle.com) which is about two and half hours away from Iquitos by boat, on a tributory off the Amazon called the Tahuayo River. (Look it up in your school atlases...).

Finally - took a tour round Belem market...which was an eye opener. Very atmospheric (i.e. loud, smelly and full of characters)....apparently during high water season, most of the houses are half submerged - indeed, most are designed to float. Saw the stall where Michael Palin bought his ciggies (we´ve done our homework !!).

Off to the jungle tomorrow....




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Ari´s burger barAri´s burger bar
Ari´s burger bar

The top joint in town
Belem MarketBelem Market
Belem Market

Not quite Sainsbury!!


26th October 2005

Jungle Man
Did you get any weed?

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 96; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb