A "Titanic" Amazon story


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Loreto » Iquitos » Amazon Rainforest
October 6th 2005
Published: October 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

.....So we got on the speed boat from Iquitos for our trip to the lodge. It turns out that the Amazon is super low at the moment, which meant a two and a half hour trip took the best part of six...

And the reason...

Well..there are so many trees that fall into the river. And these trees are hard wood...which means they stay there...sticking up....waiting to snare boats...which is what one did...

We were speeding along, and then all of a sudden a massive bang and we were all thrown a bit. The we looked down...and water was pouring in. And we were in the middle of the Amazon !!!

Oh dear !

Anyway - the captain sped to the shore, at which point the thing was virtually submerged.

We clambered off, into the mud...and then the heavens opened. oh joy.

Luckily there was a village just along, and they all came racing to help (the bloke with the big plastic sheet to cover our luggage was our hero)...but the boat was to be no more....

Again, another stroke of luck...the supply boat from the lodge was passing..and we continued onwards.

Just another day in the Amazon.

Lou and Steve


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 17; qc: 90; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb