Lima done properly


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
October 4th 2005
Published: October 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone. The first proper blog. Sorry it´s been along time coming..there was the small issue of 6 days in the Amazon to get through (more later - it´s a tough life)

Anyway - after the worlds longest flight we arrived at Lima airport, and to say I (Steve) was suprised was an understatment. Having been ´warned´ that Lima was a bit rough at the edges, we turned up at a 21st century airport, first through customs, bags waiting, cash out the cash machine and a cab waiting! Fantastic.

And then the first surreal moment...the cab driver was playing UK 80´s (Ah-ha) and the bar round the corner was pumping Reggae and Dancehall. Not a nose flute in site.

We stayed in the Miraflores district, and as luck would have it, our hotel was a block away from Lima´s BEST restaurant - more later. Would definately recommend Miraflores as a place to stay - it seems that´s where all the bars and nightlife is, and it seemed very safe. Our hostel was superb.

The next day took us to central Lima, where the sites are. Again - a fantastic day, no hassle and felt very safe. The
Lou outside the old CathedralLou outside the old CathedralLou outside the old Cathedral

...and I can´t remember the name
catherdral was one of the nicest I´ve seen, as were the catacombs below. For any Axon people reading - we bumped into Zane Wilson. Small world eh !!

Anyway - back to the hotel and then off for dinner at "Astrid and Gaston". We´d read about this place in the guide books, and have subsequently seen it in other books as the ´best restaurant in Peru´. It was fantastic - it seems Peruvian chefs have got the bit between their teeth, as there are loads of great places around. The highlight was Lou´s ´minature´ steak and eggs to start...hopefully a picture will be up if I can get this to work in a minute. And all for $30...

The final icing on the cake for a fantastic Lima experience was the cab back to the airport. We used the same guy - and he instisted on taking less money than on the way out. Cool.

Anyway - that was us off to the jungle and Iquitos - for some quite amazing experiences....keep reading and keep posting those messages

Steve and Lou


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lou in HostelLou in Hostel
Lou in Hostel

This is Lou relaxing in the hostel
Lou won !!Lou won !!
Lou won !!

...this was just the starter - and they were fantastic. My chervice(!) was great also
Steve happySteve happy
Steve happy

..I´m coming here again...


11th October 2005

Eggs Benedict?
The restaurant looks good - is that 4 x eggs benedict on Lou's plate for a starter?

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 20; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb