End of the Tour!!!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
August 23rd 2006
Published: September 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

all of usall of usall of us

this was our last meal all together in Lima Matt, Jo, Caz, Vic, Gabby, Rhian, Tim, Kim, Nic, Katie and Gill
this is really sad in some ways as our tour has come to and end and we are sad to not be travelling on with everyone, but it will be nice to not be in such a huge group!!!

as we had had to wait so long to do the island trip it was later than we had expected when we reached lima. we just had time to have showers before meeting up to go out for our last meal all together. Nic was flying out that night so people were already starting to leave!!! we went to a bbq restaurant and matt advised us on a meal we should get. it was a mixed grill for 5 people, between 11 of us. we were a bit dubious whether there would be enough food for all of us, but we even had meat left over, dont know how anyone could eat that much!!!! Nic had to leave before we had even finished our meal so we all said goodbye and she got in a taxi. no one else was leaving that night, so a few of us bought a bottle of wine on the way back to the hotel and we drank that sitting in Kim and Vics room. we all met at breakfast the next morning to go into town together. we were running out of clothes again so we found the nearest laundry and left our clothes, hoping to get them back as it did look a bit dodgy!!! the city is ok, but not amazing as there is quite a lot of pollution smog. we went to the local craft markets which were again all selling the same stuff, which is the same stuff we had seen everywhere for ages!!!! Caz did buy a little guitar thing though which was quite cool!!! we had decided to all try and stay in the hotel that night as Gabby and Tim had already booked an additional night each. the hotel said we had to pay an extra $20 to make each room into a double room. we had already put our bags in gabbys room. the hotel had said it was ok for two to be sleeping in there, Gabby was leaving so she didn´t count, but we actually had me, Heath. kim and Vic in there!!!! in Tims room there was tim, Caz and Katie!!! although Kim and Tim were leaving in the middle of the night. we met up with Jo and Julio (she had had to go and report her camera stolen so hadn´t been shopping with us) and we went out to a nice cafe. they had the most amazing selection of cakes and sandwichs so we all had drinks and cake!!! have now decided that we should stop eating sweet things!!! we then had to say goodbye to jo, we decided to not all go back to the hotel as we didn´t want them to get suspicious so went to have a drink in a bar, waiting for Gabby so we could have a meal with everyone who was left. gabby had to pack as she was leaving that night, after our meal.

there is a street in lima called pizza street which is just pizza restaurants down both sides. due to the competion their under though they all try and get you to chose their restaurant and so jump on you trying to convince you to go into theirs, really quite nasty when you cant move for people who are pawing at you wanting you to go with them!!! we chose one and they gave us a free drink which was nice!!! we met up with Gabby and went to a Chifa restaurant which is a peruvian chinese. they looked really excited when 8 of us turned up! we had a set menu and food just kept appearing!!! we started off with soup which got a bit spilt on the table, then making it interesting moving the other plates round as it was really slimey!!! the chinese was really nice although it didn´t seem to agree with some people and it went straight through them!!! the bad thing was that two of them were Vic and Kim who we were sharing a room with. to get back in the hotel, half of us walked through while the others stopped to get the keys. we said goodbye to gabby in the room as we couldn´t go and all stand in the lobby!!!! we then settled down to sleep (both me and heath were on the floor!) didn´t get much sleep before tim arrived to get Kim up to go to the airport. said goodbye to both of them but wasn´t too bad as we were meeting up with Kim again in Chile for a few days, staying in the same hostel. Vic left a few hours later at about 6, paying half the money and telling the guy on reception there was still someone asleep upstairs. this meant it was ok for one of us to leave! we couldn´t get back to sleep so we packed ready to leave. we had already booked into the hostel round the corner with Katie who was the only one staying another night. i had to leave the hotel with just a day bag as we decided it was a bit too obvious that more than one other person had stayed in the room if i left with a big rucksack but wasnt checking out!!
Heath then left about 10 minutes after me, but she had to carry both big rucksacks, they were fine with her checking out, and we had arranged to meet down the road on the corner, one of the porters watched her walk down the road though which was a bit wierd!!!!

we went to the hostel which was really nice, we were booked into a dorm with four beds in but there was only the three of us staying there. the
Chinese mealChinese mealChinese meal

this was the night most people left at various times
hostel had a nice place outside where we could sit, and a swimming pool which was empty or we prob would have swam!!! we picked up our laundry, but it was still a bit wet so we had to spread it round the room to dry! we had to wait in the hostel for Katie to come as we had the key, but the sun was shining so was nice to sit out and read. Caz wasn´t leaving till later on so we met up with her aswell, and we all went to the cafe/deli we had been to the previous day for lunch. the sandwiches were really good and surprisingly really cheap, it looked like it should have been far more expensive!!! we then had to go and find the office for taca who are the company we were flying to chile with, to confirm our flight. we walked down there with Caz and Katie and confirmed Katies flight as well. we went to the supermarket and bought food we could have for tea so we wouldn´t have to go out. we walked Caz round to the hotel which was where she was getting her taxi from before settling
chinese mealchinese mealchinese meal

this is just from another angle as the waiter couldn´t fit us all in.
down in the tv room of the hostel. we had started watching a film before we took Caz, and it was still on when we got back so when that finished we went to bed!!!
we had to check out the room at 12 the next day but weren´t leaving till 5 so had to pack up and leave bags in storage. we had met a dutch girl the night before so we took her into town to the little markets, as she hadn´t seen any of the stuff yet, had lunch at a local cafe and ice cream at a ice cream bar! we then went and sat in the hostel feeling a bit sick from eating too much ice cream!!!! we had decided to just get a taxi outside the hostel as it was still light.
the ride to the airport was boring, although we did see the coast, meaning we had then seen the coast on both sides of the continent!
we both had a mcdonalds at the airport before heading through to the gate where we met up with rhian who was also on our flight to chile, staying in the same hostel. she had spent
Vic and TimVic and TimVic and Tim

Vic trying to get into her coat and Tim just being him!
the previous night with her housemate from uni´s family who live in lima. the flight was boring, we were tired but the flight was only short so we couldnt sleep as there wasn´t much time left after they had served drinks! we had arranged a transfer to the hostel so there was a guy waiting with Heaths name on a board, well almost her name! they cant say heather over here as they dont have a th sound, so the board actually said Heder!!!!
when we go to the hostel Kim was still up, she was chatting to a guy while waiting up for us! both us and rhian had booked into private rooms as we had decided we were arriving at 3am it was a bit harsh to pile into a dorm!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Park in MirafloresPark in Miraflores
Park in Miraflores

this is the area in Lima where we stayed
Church Church
Church

this was on the edge of the park in Miraflores centre
Pizza StreetPizza Street
Pizza Street

this is the scary street where people grab you and try and get you to go into their restaurant
Our hostelOur hostel
Our hostel

this is the seating area in the hostel where we stayed for the one night before we flew to Chile,
Our hostelOur hostel
Our hostel

this is the pool and garden bit, pool was unfortunately empty!
The coastThe coast
The coast

this is a picture we took of the coast from the taxi on the way to the airport!


Tot: 0.446s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 18; qc: 82; dbt: 0.3302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb