Lima, Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
November 24th 2009
Published: November 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mancora-Lima

Approx. 18 hours from Mancora to Lima via bus.

We arrived in Lima, Peru on the 20th after an 18 hour bus ride. I found the bus to be quite uncomfortable as it was a sleeper bus with deep reclining seats so there wasn´t much room to spare. Also, the woman in front of me kept reclining her seat fully without looking behind her so twice I had my head pinned down to me knees and other times I had her head practically in my lap - not an enjoyable way to travel, especially if you are claustrophobic. We were also 2 rows away from the toilets so the smells were quite horrific. Oh well, still better than some of the bus rides we endured in SE Asia!

¨Cholera - a shitty experience¨. That would be the title of Braeden´s blog if he had one. That´s right, Braeden contracted cholera - or so we believe - according to extensive on-line research. He has all the symptoms and it can be contracted from improperly handled food such as hamburger or any of the other questionable food he has eaten while traveling. We were going to try to find an English-speaking doctor here in Lima but clinics were closed over the
Lima, PeruLima, PeruLima, Peru

The Palacio de Gobierno.
weekend and he figured they would just tell him what he already knew - keep taking your antibiotics (doxycyclin), drink lots of fluids and wait for it to flush out of your system. At least he has been feeling better and has been able to see and experience Lima.

Our initial impression of Lima was ¨what a shit hole¨ as you have to drive through extremely dirty areas of the city in order to get to the nicer areas such as the District of Miraflores which is where we have been staying at ´Lion Backpackers´hostel. It is a little more expensive (s./90 = approx. $30 USD/night) but we have hot water, a private bathroom and cable TV with several English channels. (We expected to pay more being back in the city and wanting to stay relatively close to the attractions and amenities). We have managed to save some money by shopping at the local grocery store and using the kitchen at our hostel to make our own breakfast and dinner. There is seriously nothing like KD to bring down your budget and give you a good taste of home 😊

During our time here we have managed to
Lima, PeruLima, PeruLima, Peru

Monasterio de San Francisco.
do quite a bit of sight-seeing (there is a lot to see!). We took a short bus tour around Miraflores as well as an extended bus tour around Lima (3 hours). We toured the ´Museo de la Inquisicion´including the basement where prisoners were once tortured as well as the ´Monasterio de San Francisco´which is famous for its catacombs and incredible library (unfortunately they would not let us take any pictures). We saw the ´Plaza de Armas´, the ´Archbishop´s Palace´ and the ´Palacio de Gobierno´where we unfortunately just missed the changing of the guard. We walked all along the water-front, went through the shopping center that was built into the side of a cliff, saw the Canadian Embassy, walked through downtown and Chinatown, and spent some time in Parque Kennedy which is filled with small shops, open-air cafes and fast-food joints. We also saw 'Huaca Pucllana', the active archaeological site in Miraflores dating from AD 400.

The drivers here are crazy! In the past we have been to bigger cities with greater numbers of people and far more vehicles on the roads however they have always seemed to function in what I would call ¨organized chaos¨. This does not exist
Lima, PeruLima, PeruLima, Peru

The outfit of the condemned at the Museo de la Inquisicion.
here in Lima, it is strictly chaos. Drivers move about wherever they want on the road, pounding on their horns and screeching to a halt when someone else cuts in front of them. On roads where there aren´t any street lights to conduct and regulate the flow of traffic, people just decide when it is their turn to cross as there is no determined right-of-way and, if you are a pedestrian, you better haul ass across as no one is stopping for you. We almost got hit today outside the ¨Plaza San Martin¨by a driver who didn´t care to acknowledge the fact that we had a walk light. It isn´t surprising that we have seen the aftermath of a few accidents in our short time here.

We are off again tomorrow, this time to Ica, Peru to go sand boarding and dune buggying (it was recommended to us by Charlotte from Holland). Sounds like fun! We aren´t sure how long we will spend there as it is supposedly quite a small town with not much going on - probably 2 or 3 days at the most. From there we will be heading to Nazca where we plan to take
Lima, PeruLima, PeruLima, Peru

The slums of Lima.
a plane over the famous ¨Nazca Lines of Peru¨. We will be moving quite quickly now in order to see everything we want to see between here and Cuzco where we will be hiking the Inca Trail in the middle of December. Wow, time goes by fast!







Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Lima, PeruLima, Peru
Lima, Peru

Inside the catacombs of the Monasterio de San Francisco.
Lima, PeruLima, Peru
Lima, Peru

Huaca Pucllana, the active archaeological site in Miraflores.
Lima, PeruLima, Peru
Lima, Peru

The Canadian Embassy. I got in trouble for taking this photo. Who knew you couldn't take pictures?
Lima, PeruLima, Peru
Lima, Peru

Happy and almost healthy on a bus ride around Miraflores.


26th November 2009

hiya kids
Jeeeez Braeden --- sh*tty ya had to get sick but sooooo glad you're doing better. Lots 'n lots 'n lots of bottled water for flushingsake LOL. xxx Mom
28th November 2009

feeling better
Thanks for the concern and well-wishes. Finally starting to feel better.
1st December 2009

hiya kids
Well Montreal ended up winning Grey Cup = Sask got 10 yd penalty with 10 seconds left on clock for too many men on the field! A field goal and final score was Montreal 28 = Sask 27. The walk from the stadium to cuzzin Mike's place was deadly silent - the Rider fans were in complete shock! Kinda funny to be honest because sitting in McMahon it was deafening with all the green shirts - quite an experience. I can say now I've been to a Grey Cup game at least. It was a good Grey Cup weekend though, lots to do and see between downtown and McMahon. Sanddune surfing looked incredibly fun --- the Inca lines also quite amazing...lots of diversity in what you're seeing and doing - awesome! Weather has turned cold - north wind and snow yesterday (Nov 30) fortunate it was AFTER Grey Cup Sunday! Stay safe - careful with the increasing altitude as you venture to Cusco eh! Lots 'n lots of water I hear is the trick. Mickey says some coca leaves help too and I wanna hear about chewing those in a future blog...Miss you both - Love Mom (Terri)

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb