Bienvenidos!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
November 16th 2004
Published: November 16th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Gardens in MirafloresGardens in MirafloresGardens in Miraflores

The flowerbeds in Miraflores are so colourful, and it´s even better when the sun's out.
It's felt like ages since I last wrote but I guess that's just because so much has been happening. Right now we are in Nasca waiting for our overnight bus tonight to Arequipa, so I have a bit of a chance to write. I´m sorry if this is the first journal that you´ve got or you don´t get this one. I´m just adding addresses as I am able.

We spent 2 whole days in Lima, mainly in a seaside suburb called Miraflores. It's pretty flash by local standards, but most tourists stay there because it's much safer than the rest of the city. There were some really nice parks, with beautiful flower beds and lush green grass, but I don't think you're allowed on it. By the end of the 2 days we had a pretty good handle on the local taxi system, 7 or 8 soles seems to get you pretty much anywhere, and most drivers a legit, as long as they're in an offical looking taxi.

We went and visited 2 museums while we were there, the National Museum (Museo de la Nación) and Spanish Inquisition Museum (Museo del Tribunal de la Santa Inquisición). Unfortunately the National
The legit taxisThe legit taxisThe legit taxis

This is the only type we got in, didn´t trust anything else!
Museum was closed on Mondays (helps if you read the guide book properly) and the Inquisition Museum was all in Spanish. They usually have tours in english, but there was a "problem" that particular day, whatever that means, so we just had a look around. You could walk through the catacombs under the building where they held prisoners, interrogated prisoners, totured pisomners and generally made the local population's life miserable.

On monday night we had dinner with 2 others guys from the hostel that we met. They had both been in South America for a few months and had some good stories. One of them had arrived in Lima airport the day after us and had an almost identical experience with what sounded like the same taxi driver. The only diference was he was travelling by himself and ended up paying US$52. This is an extortionate amount of money considering the taxis we got around everywhere else cost the equivalent of about US$2.50.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sunrise over the PacificSunrise over the Pacific
Sunrise over the Pacific

There´s nothing quite like a sunrise from 37,000 ft.
We love waiting in Airports!We love waiting in Airports!
We love waiting in Airports!

LA International Airport is not a place that you want to be stuck for too long.
Del Pilar HotelDel Pilar Hotel
Del Pilar Hotel

This is the hotel where we stayed for the first two nights.


24th December 2004

My grandma
My grandparents live close to this area. My grandparents are actually visiting us :) YAY - Nina

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb