This place is, err, different.


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
November 13th 2004
Published: November 13th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Hi all, this is the first propper entry that I´ve made, so it may not go that smoothly, but bear with me, it´ll get better.

The flight over from Aus was pretty good. Long, but good. I think it was about 35hrs all up, and we were glad to see the hotel in Miraflores, Lima for more than just one reason.

Once we had cleared immigration and customs,(customs by the way consisted of handing a form to guy who obviously had no intention of searching anyone´s bags and looked like he just wanted to get everyone through so he could go home, a little diferent from Australia!) we headed out the departure gate and all of a sudden felt like rock stars. There was a mass of people yelling and holding signs, offering us taxis to Miraflores in broken English and generally looking very dodgy. We eventually got a taxi driver that convinced us that he was an offical one, we headed out to his taxi that looked everything but offical. I we started to suspect something when he saw a airport transport offical and took the taxi sign off the dashboard and hid it under his seat.

We headed out towards Miraflores when he decided that the already agreed rate of US$20 was per person, not per trip. An extended argument in Spanish and English ensued interupted with a few stops at fuel stations that looked particularly dodge. We finally convinced him that it was US$20 plus $5 for fuel or we get out and call another taxi. Considering we had no idea where we were or where the hotel was, we were very happy when we arrived at the Hotel. I´m glad I had Lundy in the car as well or else I would not be getting in another taxi here ever.

We got to sleep about 1:30am, I think we had some of the best sleep we have had in a while.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb