Discovering foods and the Museo Nacional de Antropología Arqueología e Historia


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima
January 3rd 2010
Published: January 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We were so tired from the day before we decided not to volunteer with the Optometry students in the morning. When we got up and were headed out to get water at the store we found one of the students had gotten sick. We took her to the store with us to get some fluids and then headed back to the hostal. Adam and his sister were walking to the room when they heard someone say "hello" in their dad's voice, but Adam thought it was a guy working there who had passed them, but then the voice said again, "Adam." It turns out that their dad had also gotten sick. We got him some fluids and left him to rest.

Steve had picked out an archeology museum to go visit, Museo Nacional de Antropología Arqueología e Historia. It looked small from the outside, but it was actually big. It had open air courtyards that were really nice. There were a ton of artifacts from the pre-Inca times, which were cool to see. It was amazing how many of them were in really good condition. There were a ton of ceramics. We really liked the Happy People statues that were there. Tons of cute, happy, short-armed statues. It was incredible how many rooms this place had and just the magnitude of information and things that had been preserved.

We had lunch around the corner from the museum at a restaurant that had won an award for their pisco sours, so we decided to eat there. The pisco sours were good (kind of like a margarita) but the food was only okay. It was packed with local people, and speaking little Spanish it was hard to decipher what was on the menu. Adam and i got Patata Rellenas, which are potatoes stuffed with minced meat, onions, olives and deep fried. Steve got a cheese sandwhich, which turned out to be a roll with some big pieces of cheese, not grilled or heated up or anything. Carrianne ordered Cau Cau, which the small picture on the menu looked like potatoes, but turned out to be a peruvian speciality -- potato and tripe stew. Needless to say, she didn't eat very much of it. The sauce on it wasn't very good. But it was an exciting experience at least!

In the evening, when everyone was back from the clinic, just six of us went to dinner apart from the group. Adam's dad had gotten a lot of sleep, drank some yogurt and said he was starting to feel better. Dinner was really good. We found a cute little restaurant on a quiet street. Adam and I shared a dish - Aji de gallina, which is a dish made of shredded chicken, potatoes in a spicy creamy nut sauce. It was excellent. We also got a strawberry daiquiri and a Sauco berry (elderberry) cheesecake. The berries were really good. It was a really fun, delicious dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1156s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb