TOUR OF LIMA, PERU


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
October 28th 2015
Published: October 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

I flew nonstop from Newark to Lima to start a 10 day tour with, Natural Habitat, of Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley plus a few days on the Amazon. Natural Habitat provided a tour guide, who was knowledgeable, caring and patient with his 13 'troopers'!



I had a day before the tour began, so I explored Lima with two friends. Lima is Peru's capital. a large, urban city, sprawled on the edge of a coastal desert. Lima began life as a small settlement. It has many urban problems today but the old Colonial buildings are quite lovely and were greatly influenced by the Spanish. The city was founded by Francisco Pizarro on January 6, 1535. In 1920 the city began to grow and today there are 30 million people who live there. Much of the city is overcrowded. Many come to Lima from the highlands, looking for work, a better life and opportunities for their children. Jobs are scarce, most work as street vendors, selling anything from chocolates to souveniers, earning barely enough for food. The people are friendly and welcoming, however, they are becoming obese due to KFC and McD's.



I visited the Lima Cathedral Museum of Religious Art, which is located on the main square or 'Plaza Mayor'. On May 14, 1541 Pope Paul III established the Episcopal See of Lima and construction on the cathedral was ordered, while the archbishop built his palace on the adjacent piece of land. For more than four centuries, the Archbishop's Palace was where the evangelization and pastoral policy for Peru and all of South America was conceived and implemented, making it history's most significant focal point for the spreading of religious faith. Catholic is the main religion in Peru however, many of the natives mix Catholicism with their native religion, which is tied to the earth, mountains, sun, moon and stars.



Here's are a few fact about Peru's economy: Farming is a big part of the economy, all vegetables are organic. Corn is the main crop that is grown, which was discovered in Mexico and carried to South America hundreds of years ago. Peru is the second largest silver exporter; 5th largest gold exporter in the world. China has just purchased the largest copper mine in Peru. Cocaine is a big part of the economy; police cannot control the catels, as too much money from the US hinders their wanting to fight the drugs. Polititians are receiving kickbacks and so the system is totally corrupt. Teenagers don't smoke or do drugs. Natives smoke big cigars during ceremonies. Presently Peru has a stable economy, though consumer debt is growing. Peru is the second largest country in South America.

Tomorrow we fly to Cusco, which was the capital of the Inca Empire, to explore numerous Inca ruins around The Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



5th November 2015

Makes me want to book a tour !
Love your background info with the photos.

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb