The Mighty AMAZON plus local cultures and wildlife


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Amazonas » Chachapoyas
October 26th 2015
Published: October 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Cusco, Peru, to Iquitos, crossing the spine of the Andes. Iquitos, once a booming rubber town with many European immigrants, is isolated in a vast tract of jungle and can only be reached by air or water. It is the largest city in the Peruvian rain forest, has a popuation of 500,000. It is a cosmopolitan city with strong Amazonia roots. We saw some of it by bus and noticed a few old Colonial buildings left over from long ago. We are driven to the town of Nauta, about 60 miles away. We passed scenes of daily life in the jungle until we finally reached a small riverside town on the banks of the Maranon River and board the Delfin II. The Amazon River, in South America, is the largest river in the world. It begins in the frozen Andes of Peru and travels across South America, Ecuador, Columbia and empties into the Atlantic in Brazil. It measures approximately 2,800 miles long and accounts for approximately one fifth of the world's total river flow. The Amazon measures one to six miles across at low stage but expands during the wet season to 30 miles across or more. It
Tree displays the high water line during the wet seasonTree displays the high water line during the wet seasonTree displays the high water line during the wet season

Notice the darker section of the tree, this is where the water comes up to during the wet season
is 150 miles wide when it enters the Atlantic and 300' deep. The river is murky due to all the sediment that it collects. There is a strong current, which carries debris such as tree limbs, branches, etc. In the rainy season, as the water rises, much debris falls into the river.

' The sun, giver of light and life; at the equator the sun rises over the greatest Rain Forest on earth' The Pacaya National Reserve, is one of the largest protected areas in Peru, a rain forest covering 5 million acres, nearly 8,000 miles, which is located at the headwaters of the Amazon. This is one of the largest rain forests in the world. Here we see a vast variety of birds, there are over 500 species, butterflies, a juvenile Anocanda and Boa Constrictor! There are over 50 species of fish including catfish,16 species of primates, 20 species of Sting Rays, 30 species of Piranha and 13 species of monkeys. We also swam in a tributary, kayaked and fished for Piranha. The chef, on the boat, cooked the largest one caught and we had an opportunity to taste it, I did not, though I did catch one! We saw the magnificent Pink River Dolphins, they are most graceful as they frolic and swim along the river. One evening we stayed out in our skiffs till after dusk and saw a variety of birds, a three toed sloth, several caimans, monkeys and frogs. They all create a lovely symphony!

On the banks of the Amazon approximately 42,000 people live in 94 communities. Another 50,000 inhabit 109 villages inland. Most of them make a living from fishing, farming or hunting. Natives fear the stingers of Sting Rays more than the Piranha! Panache, the largest freshwater fish in the Amazon, can reach 15' and weighs approximately 90 lbs. It is said to be prehistoric and has been around before the dinosaurs. They are easy to catch as they come to the surface to breathe. Fish breathe underwater, taking oxygen from water through their gills.

The river is the main transportation. The people still carve their canoes from balsa wood. The river is used for transporting farm products and fish to the nearest town to sell. We saw school children being taken to school and, small, commercial ships transporting supplies. School is mandatory. We went to the indigenous community of Puerto Miguel to meet the local villagers, who have lived in Amazonia for generations. We learn about their culture and customs. We visit a typical elementary schoolhouse and high school. Each student is given breakfast and lunch by the government. We were asked to bring school supplies and we donated them to this school, the students were most appreciative. Last but not least, we stopped by the local women's arts and crafts and bought a few cafts to bring home!

This concludes the final review of my trip to Peru. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to experience the Peruvian culture and step back in time to get a glimpse of the Inca's and their culture of long ago. Be sure to scroll down to view all photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Farmer living on the beach during dry seasonFarmer living on the beach during dry season
Farmer living on the beach during dry season

This farmer has moved to the beach for the dry season, as it is easier to catch fish when the water level is low. He lives on the beach for a few months, fishes and grows corn. He then transports his fish and corn to the market in his boat.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb