Day 12 – Docking at Callao, Peru (Day One of Two)


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
December 17th 2012
Published: January 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Slowly steamed into Callao, Peru this morning at six bells on the mid-watch in heavy fog, and this place is a TOTAL zoo! Carol beat us up real bad in the gym this morning while we waited, and waited for a berth. We arrived at 1000 and did not tie up until about 1330 (our pier evidently was being hogged by another smaller ship that wouldn’t move). Our Captain is a straight-up guy, but you could tell by his announcements that he was getting more and more pissed by how slowly things were happening here. We have good old “Laundry Day” today (if it is Monday, then it is Laundry Day for this family!!), and our tour of Lima and the area is set up for tomorrow (we are here until 1400 tomorrow when we sail for La Serena/Coquimbo, Peru), so it had little impact on us, but for those who have tours today amongst the ship’s passengers a big hassle. Finished the gym, the spa, Jimmy and laundry, and then just laid around for most of the rest of the day taking photos from the top deck of the ship and watching all of the crazy harbor traffic. All of those race cars and trucks we took photos of are heading for the Atacama Desert to begin the “Dakar Road Race” on January 4, 2013. The harbor here is very small, and the Captain earned his bucks parking this sucker between two auto carriers and a large container ship. It is simply amazing how they can park this thing on a dime. Steve saw a fuel tender (small tanker here) coming into the harbor, and then realized it was pulling along-side to fuel the Scurvy. Took the almost two hours to get everything organized (see photos), but we began taking on bunker fuel at 1730, and continued to load fuel until 1100 the next morning. NO SMOKING rules strictly enforced, which forced puffers to get off the ship. We were treated to (the late returning passengers were quite pissed about this) an amazing Peruvian/Inca cultural exchange show in the theater tonight. The colors, the music, the dancing were simply amazing. Video for our granddaughters, who are all into dancing, gymnastics, cheer, will be available when we return home. Best show we have seen on the ship to date! We have steamed 777 miles from Manta.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb