Lima- last day


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
June 18th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We´ll starting from where we left off . . .

The washing of hair went well. However, the food guessing game, not so well. Quietly confident that we had it al in control, we discovered that this was not the case!
Pollo, one would imagine means chicken, in any language, and often through this trip it has been . . . not last night. We are still unsure whether it was guinea pig (as this is the local delicacy) or chicken innards/kidneys . . . our stomachs held it down whatever it was, so all is good.

Lima: Day 3
After another night (insert soundscape here) we managed to have a short lie in (considering our mornings have been a lazy 10am start, since holiday mode) then got up, sorted money, bought some staples and chilled out with yet another strange choice of tv movie . . ."Awakenings".
Midday came, backpacks were put on for the first time . . . grrr . . . and off we set to our new hotel, yes hotel. This is where we met our tour group for the next eight days. All very nice- mainly Australians our age. Lots of footy talk already.
Our lovely Peruvian guide took us to down town Lima where we saw San Martin´s Square and walked down a gorgeous pedestrian mall with many lovely buildings. Apparently this city is called the city of balconies as the aristocracy live on the second floor of the buildings.
We then made our way to Cathedral San Francisco which consisted of a cathedral, monestry and catacombes - we saw the remains of 25 000 dead Peruvians. The monestry and gardens were lovely and the Cathedral was ornate, complete with it´s own flock of pigeons.
Back to Miraflores we went for another amazing meal. We may have a few more photos of food. . . The street was packed with locals watching their soccer qualifiers for the World Cup. Quite a passionate bunch, even though Peru is bottom of the table. We thought we´d end the night with a nioce cup of coffee, only to find that there was no water in the whole area suddenly. Got to keep us on our toes!

Back to the hostel now to try and get some sleep as we are leaving at 3:50am to fly out to Cuzco. Very exciting. Hopefully we will survive the high altitudes. Apparently coca tea helps- we´ll keep you updated.

Still miss you,
Kath and Amy


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



18th June 2008

The cocoa leaves really help, I chewed then the whole 4 days of the Inca Trail.....would not have survived without my high!!!! Sounds great so far ladies!
18th June 2008

Very relieved to hear about the successful hair washing!Keep those food pics coming girls!
18th June 2008

cocoa leaves
Yes I agree you need to become one with the cocoa leaves and chew them lots. Also do not forget to drink water and lots of it. It does wonders to keep the altitude sickness away. Have fun!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb