Beyond Expectations - Cuzco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
June 18th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

... So, the day began early! Early!! Flying into Cuzco was amazingly beautiful. Again we flew through the snow topped Andes, in our small little plane. All of a sudden after turning around a mountain, we were blessed with the sight of Cuzco, and what a sight it is, please refer to photos.

We arrived and the altitude hit us almost immediately. After stepping off the plane we felt light headed and floaty...and the Peruvian band greeting us, added to this hallucinatory feeling. This lasted for about 1/2 an hour, progressing then on to a bit of nausea, general tiredness and shortness of breath.

We then met our second guide, Gonzalo, or better known as ¨Speedy¨. We then arrived at our charming hotel, what a gem! We have also arrived at the start of the ¨Inti Rayma¨ festival. Which is cuzcos main annual event, culminating on the 24th of June, with a great ceremony and party. Luckily we will be back to join these celebrations.

We had our first cup of coca tea at the hotel, which is the traditional remedy for altitude sickness, among other things. This helped....surprising! We then felt charged up, and ready to check out this beautiful city. And what a city this is....

The mixture of Incan and colonial influences in the architecture and culture add up to such an amazing combination. No wonder this is regarded as such a special place. To name a few wonders, while walking through the cobbled stone streets we saw colonial cathedrals, Incan boulders used to build temples/walls/houses, as well as traditional Peruvian people filling the streets. Everyone is very friendly, but tourist centred, although this is expected and kinda cool.

After attempting to climb a hill (not remarkable) altitude sickness hit everyone... causing doubt about our ability to trek...fingers crossed. Luckily our next stop was the ¨coca shop¨, run by the impressive and passionate Christo. He explained the uses and benefits of this much loved and traditional plant. Unfortunately due to the economic instability, the plant is not only used for tea, but also widespread drug manufacturing. There are many contributing factors to both booming industries, yet seems very controlled by the Peruvian Government. Not only do they make tea, but also yummy biscuits and chocolates. This is to support local communities and NGO´s throughout Peru.

How gorgeous are the kids...! To top off our wonderful day, we were entertained by the folk dancing from the children of the primary schools throughout the region. This is part of ¨Inti Rayma¨, and the centre square was filled with colour, music and dancing. This was such a privilege to be a part of. We look forward to experiencing future festivities.

Tomorrow we leave Cuzco, and visit a local village community, sharing in their food and culture. The following day we begin our ¨Inca Trek¨..... please wish us luck!

We´ve had an amazing day, and we hope our photos do it justice. Enjoy!

Kath & Amy
x



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



19th June 2008

Oh.....I wish I was back there.....such good memories. Good luck on the trek...It is pretty hard yakka, but well worth it!!!!!!
19th June 2008

Looks gorgeous! Hope all is good for your trek! Make sure Kath explains her "Keen" brand sneakers to everyone :)
19th June 2008

looks amazing!!
loving the blog. keep it coming!!!!! pugs xx
19th June 2008

I can't get over the visual of a small plane turning around a mountain... scary stuff.. I love the pics x
22nd June 2008

Hey Amy!
Good to hear from you! Love the pics. Keep having fun! Altitude is a b@stard though....
22nd June 2008

Geeez!
Christo and Gonzalos? i would keep a close eye on my cup of tea girls. looks like you are ejoying the new experiences- peruvian fashion cetainly looks interesting!
23rd June 2008

You guys are doing such a good job with your blog. I can wait to see photos from the trek! Margi says Cath has had lots of altitude sickness - hope that's sorted and you're feeling better!!! I have passed your blog on to one of my work mates who has been before and he's enjoying reliving it all too. We're all very jealous. Keep up the good work! xxxxx
25th June 2008

the trail
all i can say is... flat is fun!
26th June 2008

Flat is fun!!
We miss you muchly. Sam is good at going down. Oh wow! . . . Guys

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb