Chiclayo, Trujillo & Chimbote


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lambayeque » Chiclayo
January 15th 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

TrujilloTrujilloTrujillo

I love this picture.
Trujillo

Arriving on the late bus, we had little choice but to take a dodgey hotel, the type with hourly visitors, until the next morning when we changed to a slightly cleaner, huge, old hotel a block away. I got ill here (liquado con agua was the culprit) and so, spent a lot of time in the room/bathroom whilst Sal checked out the city.

There are numerous archeological sites around this area - the Moche and Chicama valley. We only visited a couple because, quite frankly, after seeing one, I sort of got the picture of what the others would be like. I´m also not big on ruins. It´s just not my thing man. But in Peru, it seems everything poses itself as an important, Inca ruin. Gotta love that highly pumped Peruvian tourist industry.

Chan Chan, once the capital city of the Chimu Empire, is a ruined city in the back of beyond. Hot and old with tours and more tours.

Huaca del Sol and Luna, two temples, that Peru, proudly boasts are the largest adobe structures (pyramids) in the Americas. You get there by one of the small colletivo/buses, which are driven by highly competitive
TrujilloTrujilloTrujillo

The main plaza
and usually very young drivers.

I sat next to a guy who had a chicken on his lap. I smiled at the guy and he smiled back, petting his chicken. How nice to see a gentleman, in the middle of nowhere, showing such care for an animal, especially a chicken! After the smile and my continuous glances at the chicken, he pulled a claw, from a silver case, to show to me. I smiled again thinking how much the guy loved his animal. I thought maybe this ornament was the claw from the mother of the chicken on his lap, maybe he had fond and superstitious memories of this chicken. He clearly treasured the claw. Smiling again I said knowingly: "por swerte?" (for luck?) He looked a little puzzled but nodded back, showing me how his "lucky" claw would attach onto his cockrels foot for a vicious cock fight. And today, he added eagerly, he was hoping for a big win. Oh dear, not quite so lovely.

Chiclayo
There is a huge indoor and outdoor market here. Once we finished wandering around the many weird and wonderful stalls, we tried the delicious, fresh ceviche. But not the guinea
TrujilloTrujilloTrujillo

Yeah, that's right, the yellow one on the corner. You can't miss it!
pig that was what seemed to be the local speciality.

Chimbote
Bus broke down. Not good when you´re ill. Not good when there are not enough seats on the replacement bus and you have to stand. Not good when the temperatures are feverish and you could faint any moment.





Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

TrujilloTrujillo
Trujillo

Ancient, Adobe thingamyjig. Important.
TrujilloTrujillo
Trujillo

This is a real dog. Totally hairless.
ChimboteChimbote
Chimbote

Our hotel. I was crippled by the Peruvian stomach bug.
ChimboteChimbote
Chimbote

View from Hotel.
ChimboteChimbote
Chimbote

Passengers were asked to wait on the side of the road until a new bus came along.
ChimboteChimbote
Chimbote

It might be a long wait.
ChimboteChimbote
Chimbote

...mmmmm.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

Just outside our hotel. Local women selling their fare.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

Local.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

Market where guinea pig was sold. I saw sacks of them, alive and dead. Horrible.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

South America at its finest.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

Market. Just look at those colours.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

....And these colours
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

Humble and incredibly welcoming family. Candle maker at work.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

The family house where we were invited in, offered food and made to feel like part of the family.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

Man asleep in wheel barrow.
CajamarcaCajamarca
Cajamarca

Just potatoes. That's all I'm selling. Nothing else. That's all you need.


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb