Dogs, witches and sand dunes


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Pisco
July 1st 2006
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lima- Plaza MayorLima- Plaza MayorLima- Plaza Mayor

Dancing on San Pedro day
After an early 6.30am start we set off from Pisco to Paracas and the Ballestas Islands, Paracas is a little fishing port, which has been totally set up to run tours to the Ballestas Islands (commonly known as the poor mans Galapogos). We set off an a 20ft speed boat with about 25 people on board, the very saftey consious locals made us wear life Jkts made of polystyrene (Great)
On arrival we were welcomed by a dozen penguins then loads of pelicans and families of sealions a really cool place. the sea was churning up a big swell next to the rocks, but the boat handler still managed to get us about 10ft away from the sun bathing seals. Those that know me will be surprized to hear that I didn't chunder, so yes we both enjoyed that part of the day.
The Afternoon was spent in a bus crossing the Paracas saltflats and looking at the sea, the surf looked great but we walked off in to the desert to see what was to be seen. People were asking why we were not looking at the cliffs, all I can say is that our East coast and Flamborough beat it hands down.

The next day was pretty civilised, a short trip 2hrs on a bus where we hired a local guide to show us the local wineries MMM free samples This trip got us to places off the beaten track which was pretty cool. We also got to sample the local tipple of Pisco which blows your head off.

Got the guide to take us to a small barrio on the edge of Ica city called cachiche. This is where spanish white witches came to settle after the inquisition- not that they found their life any easier in peru. The witches apparently got a bit ticked off with each other and after much casting spells and cursing ended up killing each other. The story goes that after the carnage 6 palm trees ( for the 6 witches) sprouted. These trees are a pretty strange sight, really twisted, growing down into the ground and back up again (see pics). When the 7th palm sprouts the whole of Ica will apparently disappear!

From Ica we travelled to the now hippy oasis of Hucanchina. Its a small run down 50's built town which would have been very glamorous in its time, now it is overrun by tours that offer sand boarding and buggying. The beautiful clear healing waters are now a slimy green colour.

However the sand dunes were amazing. We walked / crawled to the top of the biggest one. I could say it looked like the opening scene of KungFu and I was GrassHopper, but no it was 5 steps up and 4 back. At the top we were joined by a local dog which seemed to be nice and tame or so we thought... we set off running down the sand and this mut went loopy, snarling and showing its teeth , i stopped it stopped , I moved it moved this went on all the way down. Really scary, I did have my bag at the ready with a full bottle of water in it to give it a good clubbing. (C: Iwas laughing my head off)

From Hucanchina we moved on to Nazca a squashed ride in an old american Pontiac car, 4 bald tyres and had to be hot wires to make it go, the driver said he would set off with 4 passengers but 7 later we set off bloody squashed. But what the hell a 3hr scenic trip for 4 $.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Huacachina Sand DunesHuacachina Sand Dunes
Huacachina Sand Dunes

The dog stopped growling and snarling for the photo!!
JamJam
Jam

MMM look what we get for breakfast


11th July 2006

Peewee was on a boat and did not chunder?
I struggle to believe that Peewee was on a boat and did not chunder, Went to the lakes last weekend, Jo was doing some witchcraft, tree hugging thing so I got 3 pikes in and lots of paddling.(open fire on the lake side and lot to drink) Planning a dive this weekend in the good old North Sea apparently it’s worming up its up to about 7 degrees and visibility just out side of the mask, just look what you are missing. I think Neil is still in Canada back next week to his new job Have fun keep safe Bertho
17th July 2006

Dodgy diet !!
I hope you are eating your greens!! Bread and strange jam is obviously having an effect on you..you never used to let Hull Dogs follow you !! Alls well here , the house is now known as a further city recycling point due to the mountains of bottles and cans, hey the slugs are having a ball!! Keep safe and have fun. Love from us all X

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb