Stop9: Huacachina


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
November 12th 2010
Published: November 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After all of the high altitude antics (6 weeks!) we decided it was definitely time to get back to sea level for some relaxation. Huacachina seemed like the perfect place. Situated in the earthquake scarred region of Ica, Huacachina is an oasis in the middle of a desert, and we're not talking metaphorically, it really is an oasis in the middle of a desert.

Despite intending to do little more than enjoy the sun and surroundings for a few days we have actually been quite busy. We have scaled the dunes (harder than it sounds), spent a very entertaining afternoon touring Pisco distilleries, also harder than it sounds, we were showed around the second distillery by an actual lunatic and if you ask Ellie that stuff can taste like paint stripper. Pisco Sours = could drink them for hours, Pisco neat = vomit on feet, (fortunately this didn't actually happen!)

The highlight for both of us though was the sandbuggy ride we went on through the dunes which culminated in a bit of sandboarding. Sandbuggying was great fun, it's like being on a rollercoaster, and the sandboarding was very funny. Due to our lack of skill and boards that were still closely related to the tree from which they came (they were planks of wood with plastic coating), we decided it would be more fun to lie down on the boards! Sand tobogganing is highly recommended!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



23rd November 2010

wow!
amazing pics guys, this looks awesome, we met loads of people in peru who said they had done this and said we must, but obvos we ran out of time! I hear you about the altitude and we were only in it half the time u were! keep blogging lovelies, enjoy the galaps! xx

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb