Day 70 - Riding the Dunes


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
May 31st 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having discovered that Soyes runs buses every 30 minutes to Ica, we jumped on one straight after breakfast... our cheap price however did not include leg room for me or Sophie. My plan to recline my chair was also foiled as this caused the base of the chair to slide forward, further cramping the legs. I decided I could stretch out in the aisle but I got stood on here by many of the hop on hop off conductors.

A short taxi ride from Ica took us to our hotel, el Huacachinero, in Huacachina; a luxury hotel with a pool next to a lagoon oasis in the desert. Beds complete with duvets! What a treat! We had lunch overlooking the lagoon before Soph and I chilled out by and in the pool.

One of the main reasons to come to Huacachina is to take a dune buggy ride in the desert, and Soph was all excited about doing this until she found out all the trips involved sand-boarding. After umm-ing and ahh-ing I persuaded her to come along and we headed out into the desert (no Taryn as she wasn't feeling well) for our dune buggy ride... aka rollercoaster with no rails. We loved it, and the views it provided, which included a fantastic sunset. The thrills of racing up dunes to fall off the peaks on the other side was amazing, and sometimes defied gravity. And more to the point, whilst Soph couldn't be persuaded to sand-board "snow-boarding style," she did slide down on her front, love it, and was massively disappointed when our time was up!

An afternoon nap helped Taryn and we all headed off to "D'Silva" down the road for dinner and cocktails... despite our dislike of the tout.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb