Sandboarding....it rocks!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
October 22nd 2005
Published: November 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sandboarding Sandboarding Sandboarding

What style... before the fall!
Catching our rearranged flight from Buenos Aires to Peru, we were looking forward to the Inca trail, but had seven days to kill before we had to meet at the Tucan tour Hotel in central Lima. Luckily arriving in Lima at midnight, the Incahaus Cooltural Hostel that we´d picked from the internet had space in their dorms. It was a brand new Hostel and quite plush based in the Miraflores (posh) district of Lima.
We decided to head straight down the coast the next day and leave Lima until we returned for the trail. A Soyus bus took us to Ica (5,1/2 hours) , then a taxi driver suggested a nice Hostel in our first destination, Huacachina. Arriving at this oasis in the desert, the hostel was quite a big set up , and we were able to book a dunebuggy and sandboarding trip for the next day.
In the evening we met Dan & Shona, another english couple on a two year travelling spree, and we went for dinner then drinks with them at their Hostel and played Yatzee!.
The following day, the dunebuggy left at 8am for dunes to make sure we weren´t in the heat of the day.
HuacachinaHuacachinaHuacachina

Relaxing in the desert sun..
The buggy seated eight and was like a rollercoaster..great fun! Once we´d careered over giant sand dunes for about half an hour, they stopped at the top of a small slope, and our Sandboarding tuition started....then finished about ten seconds later! The guy just strapped on a board, went down the slope then said "your turn!".
After we´d "mastered" the beginner slope, we were driven to bigger and steeper slopes. After another or six runs, we were getting to the bottom without falling over. Must try snowboarding next year!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Buggy & BoardersBuggy & Boarders
Buggy & Boarders

Five have plenty of fun!
Sandboarding iiSandboarding ii
Sandboarding ii

Concentrating hard at 20mph!!


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb