Living in the Desert


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
April 30th 2007
Published: April 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ica: Isla Ballestas is the poor mans Galapagos and seeings as we are the poor men, off we go. Flamingos, Penguins, Sealions, heaps of birds and even more of their guano (shite)- everywhere, yes we wore hats. Scenery was like nothing i´d seen before, the desert dropping 500mtrs into the sea, I didnt realise the 2 could coexist as such. Heres a fact: did you know that Flamingos were red due to their diet of red shell fish, thanks George.

Pisco: the national drink of Peru is pretty grim and when you mix it with egg white for the famous "Pisco Sours," its great for Salmonella. Hence, we go on the Pisco wine tour and get pissed by 10am. Well I do, but George is on anti-biotics due to the septic leg wound she has from horse riding on Mancora beach in swimwear.

Huacacina is an Oasis, a small pool encircled by palm trees in the middle of the desert. Sandboarding, (like snowboarding in the Sahara). Fabulous, especially the buggy ride, which involves vertical climbs up sand dunes in a cage on wheels at 70mph. Did you know Peru houses the largest sand dune in the world, eat your heart out Egypt.

Here our hostal serves weed on a plate with all drinks and a lot of chilling by the pool ensues. We reunite with our good friend Nick from Quito. Shame about the stained glass windows with the Star of David- more on this later.............



Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb