Inty Raymi


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco
June 24th 2009
Published: June 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

QoricanchaQoricanchaQoricancha

Groups of performers and tourists getting ready for the first part of the ceremony.
Wednesday's event was an all-day thing for us. We left the hotel around 8 and met up with a group at Qoricancha (pronounced coricancha) for the first part of the Inti Raymi festival. We were lucky and ended up with our tour guide from Sunday, which included both of the archaeological sites we would be at for the festival.

Inti Raymi was a religious ceremony of the Inca Empire in honor of the god Inti. It also marked the winter solstice and a new year in the Andes. For many years, locals have been producing the festival which is a huge tourist attraction. It starts at Qoricancha, then moves through the streets to the main square, Plaza de Armas, then heads up to Sacsaywaman.

The celebration has basically been going on since we got here. There have been daily parades and fun things to watch going on since we've been here, but it actually started before we got here. Now that the 9 day Inti Raymi celebration is done, it's quite quiet here in Cusco.

The majority of our time was spent up at Sacsaywaman for the theatrical ceremony. They erected a stage to look similar to what it would have been during ancient times, but it was done with modern materials like Styrofoam painted to look like the rocks at the time. The king in the ceremony is played by a different person every year, and he must be Incan. Last year, it was some hot actor. This year it was a civil engineer. I'm not sure why we didn't get the hot actor.

During the ceremony, they have a staged Llama sacrifice to mimic what they would have done during ancient times, but without freaking out thousands of tourists. From what I understand, they carry a Llama up on stage, who is not pleased, then he squeals a bit, then they tranq him. Then they mimic the actions that the priest would have done, which is basically a cut down the right side of the Llama's chest, and they pull out organs to burn. Since Llama is regularly consumed here, I believe they went to the market in the morning and picked up the heart, intestines, etc. Good thing, although still kind of icky.

After the ceremony is complete, each of the groups performs dances from their regions. Quite cool to watch. And the music (mainly wooden flutes/recorders and drums) has changed from the beginning of the ceremony.

After all is said and done, our group (and many thousands of others) tried to head back to Cusco. It took forever. Almost 2 hours, I think. We could have walked it faster. But on the way, our guide told us stories, so we enjoyed. We came across an area where locals were camping and celebrating Inti Raymi, and it was a great sight. And the smells from the camp fires were delicious! Pork, corn and potato, as far as I could tell.

The next day started our trek to Machu Picchu. More to come...


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

CrowdCrowd
Crowd

Some of the crowd at Qoricancha
VirginsVirgins
Virgins

The Sun Virgins play a part of the ceremony as well. Any you see with gold disks around their necks are for making fire.
The KingThe King
The King

The king was addressing his crowd from here, as well as throwing gifts. He actually threw a few t-shirts, but I missed it. I think he's throwing coins here.
CutenessCuteness
Cuteness

The street people brought out their finery that day for getting tourist pictures. They had hats on the children and the livestock!
Festival in the squareFestival in the square
Festival in the square

We didn't get many pictures because it was too crowded, so this is pretty much it. Most pictures had other people's hair in them.
CrowdCrowd
Crowd

This is part of the crowd at Sacsaywaman...basically the people that didn't pay for seats.
FlutistsFlutists
Flutists

These people had to play a lot throughout the day.
Performers at SacsaywamanPerformers at Sacsaywaman
Performers at Sacsaywaman

Some of the performers after they've entered the festival area.
Clearing the pathClearing the path
Clearing the path

These guys are coming down the hill behind the main area (where most entered) and are clearing the way for the king.
The King enters!The King enters!
The King enters!

Here he comes!
The queenThe queen
The queen

She enters too!
More ceremonyMore ceremony
More ceremony

The king had lots of problems with his mic. He should sacrifice his AV people.
DrinkingDrinking
Drinking

They were drinking the royal chicha, which is a drink made of purple corn.
Crowding around the LlamaCrowding around the Llama
Crowding around the Llama

I won't show you the entrails picture.
The KingThe King
The King

At the end, he goes around the edges of the seating area so everyone can get pictures.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb