Trekking in The Sacred Valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Urubamba
June 27th 2015
Published: July 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we joined in with The South America Explorers group on a hike down through the Sacred Valley. Dave was leading the hike and assured us we wouldn't be the slowest in the group.We weren't so sure as our muscles were still recovering from the mammoth hike around Machu Picchu. The hike was expected to be around eleven kilometres but mostly downhill.

Bright and early we met up at the clubhouse then all piled onto two collectivos to take us to the start of the walk neat Urubamba. I'm pleased to say as we walked our aching muscles began to feel better, possibly due to the amazing scenery as we walked taking our mind off them.

Thankfully as Dave had said we had no problem keeping up and in fact near the front of the group most of the time.

At the end of the walk we all piled into two collectivos again and headed off to Paccha to the Sacred Valley Brewing company where we sampled the cerveza ( beer) and joined in the Bar B Q that had been laid on in aid of a charity.
It was a lovely way to end the walk chatting to the many new aquaintences we'd met along the way.
As the sun began to sink in the sky the temperature dropped and the layers of clothing came back on.

Eight of us decided to call it a day and left to get the collectivo back to Cuzco. As we stood at the side of the road we wondered if all eight of us would actually get on one collectivo as they usually fill up in town. One arrived and, as expected, it was full, the driver, unperturbed, gestured us to get on. All eight of us squashed into the aisle like sardines in a tin clinging on for dear life as we sped along the twisty bumpy road. I felt sorry for the locals who were constantly being bashed in the head by our backpacks at each twist in the road. They, however, never batted an eyelid, this was obviously an everyday occurance for them.

Once back in Cuzco we all said our goodbyes and then Dave, Claire, Stan and I finished the night off in a local bar before dropping into bed, exausted but satisfied once again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Bar B Q Time at the Brewing CompanyBar B Q Time at the Brewing Company
Bar B Q Time at the Brewing Company

A great way to finish an 11 km walk!


Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 19; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb