Cusco - Pisac Ruins & "Famous Pisac Market"


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Pisac
September 16th 2013
Published: October 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It was a whole planned day that was pretty incredible. We breakfasted and were on the bus before 9a.m. We went through the Urubamba Valley to the colorful Indian Market of Pisac , where native from the region of Cusco come to trade their products. Before that, though, we visited a llama farm (got to pet them and feed them and call them George) and a small traditional weaving community. Jaime was very informative about the multiple types of llamas and we learned about them as well as the traditional weaving techniques of Peru. We also visited Ccochahuasi Animal Sanctuarywhere they introduced us (up close and personal) to macaws, llamas, condors (flew right over our heads!) and cougars. It was incredible to see the animals so close and the organization is making good strides in protecting and rescuing at-risk and endangered animals. It was also here that Sharon and I got our super cute, utterly versatile, and fairly unique hat-scarves. We haven't seen them anywhere else and feel lucky to have found them. Plus, the money went to support an organization of which I mightily approve!

We also visited ruins above the town that had an amazing view of the valley. We wandered very far
MacawsMacawsMacaws

Pretty pollies...
up them and around them and learned a lot more about the farming technique of terracing. We observed anthropologists doing restorative work to keep the walls from crumbling (and eroding the whole shebang) and were at the top of one of the upper-most fortifications when it started raining. It was a little alarming when the stones got slick, but it was lovely (and nice and cooling). To top it all off, as we were walking back someone was playing haunting melodies on a flute. It made the whole experience otherworldly and pretty indescribable.

Lisa, Sharon and I had lunch at a great hole-in-the-wall open-air restaurant in Pisac. The food was cheap and filling and Sharon flirted like crazy with our 80+ yo waiter, Alfredo. He was a hoot and took all of our shenanigans in-stride. Did some shopping but am feeling a little overwhelmed by all the "opportunities" to shop that we are "given." Apparently some people come with the express purpose of buying stuff (a couple people in our group brought empty luggage with the intent to fill it!) and want to do so as much as possible. It's cool to wander markets if you want to shop, but I'd rather be seeing sights! I bought a few little things and chatted with the artisans. I'm pretty blown away by the skill so casually on display and in such high numbers...it's never just one or two of something, it's 50 or 100. I've been haggling a tiny amount, but that will (apparently) always make me uncomfortable. I figure if it's a price I can live with then I'm happy so what does it matter if I could have gotten it for a few dollars less? The bit of haggle I have engaged in has been mostly playful, totally in Spanish, and successful for all parties involved. I've even been able to help several of our group with their transactions and getting their questions asked. Makes me feel very useful and my Spanish is noticably better and coming out easier than it was a few days ago. So much fun!

One thing I did buy was an Incan/Andean Cross . Jaime told us all about them and I find it fascinating. It's a four-sided cross with three levels on each side. They represent: 1) the three worlds; 2) the three sacred animals (snake, puma, condor); 3) important parts of
Guinea Pig HabitatGuinea Pig HabitatGuinea Pig Habitat

Located behind a giant brick oven. No, just no.
the body (head, heart, stomach - where the "work" comes from); and 4) the three commandments (Don't Lie, Don't Steal, Don't Be Lazy). There is a circle in the middle, which he says represents Cusco (Cosco in Ketchua and means stomach/center/heart). I couldn't stop thinking about it and how simple (and ancient) a design to represent so many concepts. So, when we started shopping it's what I beelined for! Found a very nice silver necklace charm that is also inlaid with native stones of many colors. Can't wait to wear it and explain it to anyone who asks! 😉

While on the bus we learned about the Ketchua language spoken by natives. It uses all three parts of the mouth (lips, tongue and throat w/glottal stops). Many people still speak it and Spanish (and English!). Some words are very similar to Spanish while others are completely different. Some words are only differentiated by ' which calls for a throat click and means that word is Ketchuan. Also, Peruvians don't get bank loans to buy houses - they build them, out of adobe or concrete (if they have more $$)! They can live in the houses before they're finished as
New Friends...New Friends...New Friends...

...with matching caps!
the roof is completed first. When it's done they place totems for luck on-top and move in! Third factoid: all homes in Cusco have indoor plumbing but many have water cisterns on the roof. This is because they only have water service for part of the day. They fill it up in the morning so they have enough water for all day.

We got back to Cusco tired but happy and feeling very accomplished and culturized. But wait, the day wasn't over yet! The whole group met up in the evening and walked to a restaurant for a shared buffet dinner at La Retama and <a href="

show. The food was fine, entertainment was great (but we couldn't see anything without standing on our chairs!), but our group is unfortunately loud and we were in close quarters so we (Sharon, Lisa, Kathy, Farah) decided to head out before it all devolved. We walked back through the Plaza, did some obligatory shopping (lol) and headed to the hotel. Kathy and Farah had to get ready for a 5a.m. departure (ouch) and the rest of us hit the sack to be fresh for white-water rafting!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Llama FarmLlama Farm
Llama Farm

Good llama. Pretty llama...
Bottled OxygenBottled Oxygen
Bottled Oxygen

Beware the altitude!
Pisac Ruins 2Pisac Ruins 2
Pisac Ruins 2

Archeologists restoring (shoring up) the terraces. Combats erosion.
From the bus...From the bus...
From the bus...

Could these streets be narrower? An always exciting portion of our travels!
At the Blue LllamaAt the Blue Lllama
At the Blue Lllama

Llama Arnold-style.
DyesDyes
Dyes

All-natural


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb