PERU...Machu Picchu...entering the eyes of the cat


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
December 6th 2015
Published: December 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

PERU: Machu Picchu...entering the eyes of the cat. Some animals look shy...some coy...some defiant...some blankly...some all knowing. An alpaca as if it's about to laugh...a llama as if it's going to waggle it's behind...a Peruvian dog as if it's come in a spacecraft. But it's only the cat that conveys airs of mastery...and of mystery. Kinda think the Incas would've elevated cats to god-like s... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 135, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




6th December 2015
Machu Picchu

The sunrise view of MP
A few years ago we walked the Inca Trail. After having walked for several days on the final day we went up at 4 o'clock to be able to get to the MP entry point (the upper entry point, not the lower that you used) in time for the opening. We then walked to a viewing platform to get to see the sun rise over MP. When the sun was up we got so disappointed when we realized that the people who had decided to take the train and the bus were already swarming the ruins. After having walked for days and then been up long before sunrise we had earned the right to have MP for ourselves for at least an hour but were denied that. Next time we will also take the train. /Ake
6th December 2015
Machu Picchu

The sunrise view of MP
I am surprised you did not have MP to yourselves at sunrise Ake. The buses start at 5.30 am to go up and last down is 4 pm. Even so am surprised the site was busy at sunrise. Maybe you traveled peak times which is the dry season from April to September, July/August the busiest. We were February this year, among the clouds in the morning, clouds lifting and relatively clear throughout the day. We returned by ourselves after lunch and enjoyed the ambience with just a handful of people on the site in very light sporadic rain. I was surprised most of my pics show either none or very few people so I reckon we were very lucky. As the saying goes..."There's always next time"...but is there really?
6th December 2015

Machu Picchu
Clouds and mist add to the mystique of Machu Picchu. I guess there are advantages in going in the rainy season with fewer tourists around. The photos testify to that.
6th December 2015

Machu Picchu
Nice to hear from you Hem. It is said Machu Picchu is the most visited site in South America. The number of visitors per day is supposedly limited yet buses every 5 minutes one expects a mingling throng. Fortunately the site is much larger than I expected and the time of year, the weather and our usual nine lives of a cat allowed us to sit or wander as if we were alone in this sacred place in the sky. We heard the previous day was clouded in so we were lucky.
6th December 2015

Gorgeous!
Beautiful photos! Although the train seems to have been upgraded from when I was there! I never got to do the Inca Trail due to strikes but Machu Picchu was amazing regardless and, quite frankly, I think the train might be better - at least you have energy when you actually get there! Meant I could climb Huayna Picchu without problems at least.
7th December 2015

Gorgeous!
Thanks Katherine. Strikes, landslides, bandits, whatever the reason...must have been disappointing to be denied the Inca Trail. But at least you climbed Huayna Picchu!
7th December 2015

Llamas rule!
Dangerous Dave here.....your blog brought back so many pleasant memories of when MJ and I were there. You just can't stop looking at, you just can't believe you are there......cheers!
7th December 2015

Llamas rule!
I am delighted Dangerous One that my blog brought back so many pleasant memories of when MJ and you were there. And you weren't even dangerous then! It still blows us away that if we hadn't done our blues cruising together we may never have made it there.
8th December 2015

That train has truly become luxury!
I walked there. got the train back. But that train didn't have 360 windows, it was just a rickety old train, with wooden benches and grimy square windows! Times have a changed. Didn't have the problem with sunrise crowds, entered from top, and apart from other Inca trail trekkers, nobody on Machu Picchu for the first hour or so... Glad you enjoyed it! And that the cat led you to the perfect guide. Always trust to a cat's judgement! Looks like you did.
8th December 2015

That train has truly become luxury!
When the train guards turn a train ride into Peru's Next Top Model 'tis hard not to enjoy the vibe. Vistadome every time. Reckon you'd look mighty fine in the latest alpaca number Ralf. Could snuggle up with some pretty hot cats to enjoy the sunrise when next you stop by!
8th December 2015

Childhood dream coming true!
I really want to go there as well someday my dancing friend. I can imagine your shortage of breath, rising pulse, sweaty hand and rushing blood at the thought of finally living out a dread carried from when you where barely able to walk. Hat of to you my friend for living life to the fullest. =)
8th December 2015

Childhood dream coming true!
Made me laugh with pleasure reading your comment Per-Olof. The thrill of finally getting there is very real when you see it before you. Definitely worth the effort. You will love it. And everyone's experience is different so expect to be surprised.
8th December 2015

Cats eyes
Love this blog, all the incredible pictures you took and your interpretation of it. Fantastic adventures.
8th December 2015

Cats eyes
At last someone gets it! Not surprised it's Chris & P. When one get's to Machu Picchu it deserves much more than the odd picture and descriptions that are blah blah zay!
9th December 2015

Machu Picchu
These photos are incredible, so beautiful and perfectly taken. Loved the blog too! I hope next year it will be me there pinching myself
9th December 2015

Machu Picchu
Thank you Alan. I don't normally put so many pics with a blog but I took so many and so many came out well...it was...the cat said I had to do it! Don't worry I've left heaps of pics for you! And every time would be different...whiskers of clouds...shards of light. I hope you can hear MP calling you. I can!
9th December 2015

I wish to be there...
I wish to be there right now! This is the place where I plan to go next year. Your great blog and amazing pictures just pushing my imagination so hard and I just feel like I must do it asap. Thank you for sharing fantastic experience:-)
9th December 2015

I wish to be there...
I can picture the little mouse with the biggest smile Katka, proclaiming "I imagined I was here and now I am here." I also look forward to that moment. Where there is a will there is a way I say. May your little mouse soar with the condors and dance with whiskers of clouds at this sacred place in the sky. But better watch out for the cats!
10th December 2015

Amazing pictures of an amazing place
I love these pictures. They show a rarely seen side of a place already pictured so many times. I almost felt like I was there.
10th December 2015

Amazing pictures of an amazing place
Thanks Ezra. Twas like I hadn't seen pictures before when we were there except that iconic shot overlooking the whole site. That the pics made you almost feel you were there makes the preparation of the blog worthwhile, so thanks for that.
20th December 2015

Happy memories
What a wonderful time you had, and thanks for reviving my memories too! It's a truly magical place and does feel very special. Lovely to see your pictures, read your words and relive it!
21st December 2015

Happy memories
'Tis the pleasure of blogging Rachael...reliving experiences, tastes and chuckles. And when 'tis a magic place like Machu Picchu...aaah! Enjoy your memories!
29th December 2015

Poetry
Love your poetic style writing here Dave. It all,looks so amazing ...don't know if I will ever get there so it's great to see it through your eyes.
30th December 2015

Poetry
Sometimes Lynne I reach a place and want to sing. Fortunately at Machu Picchu I was silent. 'Tis such a place that silent awe is more appropriate. How does one convey such a place to others? If poetry be how you hear me...right on! Thanks for commenting.
10th January 2016

Pinch me
One of my dream trips. I can hear your voice in my head and feel your excitement!
11th January 2016

Pinch me
And I can see your smiling face embracing Peruvian moments Harold. Hope your Canadian convalescence continues to bring you peace and some joy.
30th January 2016

Silent awe
Agree with MP deserving silent awe - nothing less. I did the Inca Trail but we had to divert and stay the last night in Aguas Caliente thanks to a landslide, walking in on the last section of the railway! The silver lining was that instead of watching the sun rise from afar then hiking the rest of the way down, we were able to be one of the first ones in to MP. Loved being there again through your photos.
30th January 2016

Silent awe
'Tis nothing better than being able to transport oneself or others to being there again. Loved your walk in Jo. I can picture your smile when you caught that first panorama of MP when it opens up for you. Priceless.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 22; qc: 22; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb