Rihla 20


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
February 27th 2012
Published: February 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

How has the Columbian Exchange & Triangle Trade affected current day foods & culture?

The columbian exchange has helped change the worlds diet in millions of ways, from giving the Irish potatoes to grow and eat, to giving tomatoes to the Italians to make their fine dishes. It also brought European foods to the new world like wheat, barley, apples, and many other foods.



Provide a family recipe that includes at least one of the following ingredients and then answer the questions that follow:





Sweet potato pie



1. What are the origins of this recipe? Far back in my lineage and I guess when the slaves first came in contact with the sweet potato, vanilla bean, and sugar.



2. Does your family in someway identify with this recipe? Why or why not? In some ways because it is always cooked when there is a big family event and is prepared with secrecy.



3. Do you think people should have access to a variety of foods? Why or why not? Yes, having different foods to pick from helps ones diet in amazing ways, and opens their eyes to different cultures.



4. In general, do you think food is an important aspect of one’s culture? Explain. Yes, it is the one part of a persons culture you can expirence without being in it. Food is like what a preview is to a movie.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1017kb