Machu Pichu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
July 20th 2008
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Machu Pichu was mindblowing. It is always a strange experience to see the real version of something you have seen plenty of pictures of. A lost and recently discovered City surrounded by beautiful mountains and cloud forest.

We stayed in the nearby town, Aguas Calientes (hot waters) so that we could catch the early bus up at 5:30am and watch the sun rise and dance over the mountains. Aguas Calientes is named after the natural hot springs in the area, which I was initially excited about, but they are more like overcrowded hot tubs than natural springs, and did not really have much appeal. Lonely Planet had already warned us about how touristy Aguas Calientes is, so we were prepared and it really wasn't as horrible as the Lonely Planet made it out to be. How can a town surrounded by sheer limestone cliffs, clear streams, hot springs and cloud forest be horrible? Not even tourists can achieve that degree of undoing.

We found a cheap hostel to stay in that had hot water and a shower head that made it come out in more than a trickle, (unless someone else nearby decided to also use the water in another room). I was ecstatic. After friends and family, good hot showers and baths are what I am missing the most.

We did catch the early morning bus as planned and got out to Machu Pichu in time to see the sun rise. We were also there in time to climb the neighbouring mountain, Wayna Picchu, temple of the moon, which they allow only 400 people to visit each day. We followed a narrow and steep Inca trail to the top of the mountain where there are old temples and sculpted caves. It was great to get away from the crowds for a bit and look down on Machu Pichu from up high. It made the trip to Machu Pichu worthwhile.

My imagination was working overtime while walking around the site, imagining the Incas walking around, worshipping the sun and the moon, making sacrifices and just living. We saw some baths and toilets and kitchens. You could see the different economic levels of the society in the quality of the buildings. The palaces were made with exquisite stone work, then there were almost as exquisite houses, then the hastily thrown together and relatively shabby servant's quarters. There was even an Inca prison, which I sure as hell would not have liked to end up in. Jono could not even stand upright inside it. There was no signage or information anywhere in the ruins, which is pretty disappointing when you pay US$40 just to enter, but like I said, I have a good imagination. There were apparently people walking around to give out information and answer questions, but the only time we saw them was on our way out the gate at the end of the day, when there were about 5 of them all standing around talking to each other and dressed in carkey colours!


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

mountain viewsmountain views
mountain views

Machu Pichu. The Incas had a taste for good views.
bamboo bedazzlement, Machu Pichubamboo bedazzlement, Machu Pichu
bamboo bedazzlement, Machu Pichu

Is that how you spell bedazzelment? I don't think so. Is bedazzelment even a word?
"new" ruins"new" ruins
"new" ruins

this part has only been discovered in the last year or so, so they are still working on it.
Machu PichuMachu Pichu
Machu Pichu

from Wayna Picchu
Jono and I on Wayna PicchuJono and I on Wayna Picchu
Jono and I on Wayna Picchu

with Machu Pichu below us. Not the most adventurous summit we have ever done, but probably the most historically significant.
Jono hanging out on the edgeJono hanging out on the edge
Jono hanging out on the edge

as normal. Wayna Picchu.
the road to Machu Pichuthe road to Machu Pichu
the road to Machu Pichu

quite tame by local standards
horizontal grasshorizontal grass
horizontal grass

Machu Pichu
height loving lizardheight loving lizard
height loving lizard

at the top of Wayna Picchu


13th August 2008

Jono Please be careful on those edges. I am nervous; you look so relaxed.

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb