Day 2


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
April 23rd 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The High PointThe High PointThe High Point

Dead Woman's Pass: 4200 meters (13,650 ft)
Emily used the oxygen tank near the top of Dead Woman's Pass. Couldn't blame her, really. The peak was the highest we'd get on the trek and the highest some of us had ever been (13,650 feet). They call it Dead Woman's Pass because the terrain is supposed to resemble a woman lying on her back.
When Carlos passed the oxygen to Emily it woke her right up. For a split second beforehand, she thought she wasn't going to make it. Nonsense. She carried on strong and cruised downhill afterward. She was one of the first to the campsite.
On this difficult day of hiking, we went to a lookout point in the rain, saw some ruins near the campstie and saw the best views of the Andes yet. As I was winded going uphill I turned around and looked out: blue sky, clouds and large peaks shaped like sharp teeth that changed colors as the sunlight came and went.
My tentmate, Jaime, was the first to the peak. Jaime, who comes from Mexico City but now resides in San Francisco as a consultant. He got his Masters in economics in San Francisco and didn't want to leave. Each day on
AndesAndesAndes

An Overwhelmingly Beautiful shot by Emily
the trek Jaime made sure everyone had what they needed and would never miss an opportunity for a one-liner. He's easy-going and considerate each step of the way. Surely with his consulting he's no different.
Carlos passed the rum in the evening. All day he said, "I have something very special for you tonight, amigos. Very special." He was proud of our progress on the hardest day.
"Cheers, amigos," said Carlos. "To good weather tomorrow."
Carlos has tremendous appreciation for the Inca legacy. His vast knowledge of life and culture was just as passionate as it was impressive. His humor shined on the trip, too, especially when he made Mauro the butt of the joke.
"How can I get me some of that oxygen?" Ryan asked Carlos after pouring himself some more rum.
"Mauro will give you oxygen, amigo," said Carlos. "The natural way."
We raised our glasses with Carlos only to see gray clouds in the morning.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb