Inca Trail, Day 1


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
January 12th 2005
Published: January 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Jason and TomJason and TomJason and Tom

They begin the lucha
So i got my student id card with a little trickeration and was on the trail on the 12th.

Day 1 was pretty tranquilo. we got picked up at our hostel at 6am and saw a bunch of other gringos on the bus. i am a little weary of talking to and meeting gringos, but they were cool. once we stopped for breakfast we met a british couple who is here travelling and then will be off to belize. there were also several australians, some gringos from Los Angeles, and 4 college kids from dartmouth. surprisingly, we all got along extremely well on the hike. they were very cool people.

anyway, day 1 was not a tough hike. we started at about 7,000 ft., lower than the 10,000 of cuzco. our guide, victor, spoke decent english, but tom, jason, chrissy and i found it much easier to speak with him in spanish. he taught us about the plants and shit. i chewed some coca leaves to alleviate the effect of altitude and to increase my endurance. it definitely works. it numbs your mouth a bit, but you really don{t feel as much pain inyour legs when you are "pichando"
Me and my stickMe and my stickMe and my stick

At this point my joints weren´t screaming at me.
as it is known here in peru.

we stopped for a surprisingly nice lunch in a small village along the trail. the food on the entire hike was excellent, though by the end i was feeling a bit ill from all the hiking, high altitude and sleep deprivation that i didn{t relaly enjoy the final meals.

jason and chrissy struggled a bit on day 1 as they were carrying their bags. on days 2 and 3 they paid a porter to carry their stuff to the next campsite.

once arriving at the campsite for day 1 we got a great meal, some coca tea and chilled out talking in our tent until 11pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Chrissy and Jason struggle up the inclineChrissy and Jason struggle up the incline
Chrissy and Jason struggle up the incline

This was soon after jason vomited.
We begin the hikeWe begin the hike
We begin the hike

Look at my slick bandana. Now thats style.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb