Inca trail and Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
July 12th 2008
Published: July 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Inca trailInca trailInca trail

The start point
When we arrived at the start of the Inca trail we went through a check point and made our way up the trail. It was quite difficult to start with and I struggled with the altitude a bit and couldnt my breathing right! Me and Helen definately took out time getting up the trail. It was good though, as we could stop to have a look around and see the views of the mountains.

We were really surprised with what we got for lunch, we had a tent with a table and chairs and had a two course meal which we really werent expecting to get. Our guide Gonzalo was really nice and friendly to.

At the end of the first day, I was really tired and my legs ached a lot! yes I was probably moaning about that to! he he. We had loads of food again in the evening. We had popcorn and biscuits first and then a 3 course meal, so much food! Me and Helen shared a tent, I thought it was going to be really cold, but it wasnt too bad.

The second day was the hardest, we first had dead womans pass which reached about 3700 metres above sea level. Was such hard work getting to the top and then we had the second pass which was lower but I was already tired from the first pass so that was hard work to! Was a really acheivement to get through that day. I knew the hardest day was over. It was really good when we were high up. At times we were above the clouds and walking through the clouds was good to. On route we saw some ruins from the Inca villages which was really good to see to.

The third and fourth day were much easier, we were only walking for half a day on the third day. This was the last day that we had the porters with us. Thet were brilliant I couldnt beleive how fast they were walking the trail and they were carrying 25kg. I thought it was bad enough just carrying my water up there! We decieded to give our porters our supper and gave them a tip, they were really pleased. They then sang us a song and danced with us. They asked us to sing. The only thing we could all think of was the hoky coky! Then me, helen, sarah and edwina sung head, shoulder, knees and toes. Again maybe not the best choice of song! We went to the bar with the porters and had some beers and danced witgb them, was really fun!

The next day we got up at 4am to go to the sun gate to see the sun rise over machu picchu, was quite a steep walk at times. When we got there is was quite cloudy whch was a bit disappointing we could only see part of machu picchu so made our way down towards the city. It was really amazing, it was much bigger than I had thought. We spent some time there exploring the city before we left to get the train back to Cusco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb