Getting some action in Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
May 18th 2007
Published: May 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lots of High-speed, high-altitude action. The mystical lake Titicaca -
highest navegable lake in the world-was a little gem. We mostly spent
our time on the water in various vessels. Hijaking a farmer´s rowing boat we went for a gentle row across the lake when Lucy was tempted in by the sapphire blue waters. Despite owing Mark and I a reasonable sum of one million and ten pounds (unlucky betting) Lucy challenged mark to a race - her backstroke against his rowing. Lucy didnt factor in the altitude or sub zero temperatures of the water nor the fact that she cant actually swim that fast and after thirty seconds a dramatic rescue atempt had to be executed and a dejected near-dead Lucy was pulled ashore with a rope.

Next stop was Cuzco, the Inca capital. Delightful place to recover
after the Inca trail which had rendered us inkapacitated (youve got to
appreciate that pun once again) and we had a day of massages. Mark was slighty put off when a short stout woman started massaging his bare bum but at least we were fighting fit again and up for a day of white water rafting which was fun.

Next stop Nazca to take a flight over drawings of giant monkeys,
spiders, hummingbirds and weird lines all mysteriously etched into the desert that you can only see from the air. The 5 seater plane ride was a bit fruity but seeing these weird drawings was worth the fear factor... No-one knows how or why they were put there in 900bc but the most likely theories invovle some sort of alien life form or shamen consuming pschcho-active drugs that convince them they could fly. Fascinating stuff...

In Huacachina we encountered the amazing sand dunes that stretch for miles around. A white knuckle rollercoaster tour in a dune buggie was followed by an attempt at sandboarding - hurtling at ridiculous speeds down 200 metre dunes steeper than death slides at theme parks.. We attemted standing up but couldnt manage it for long so had to stage a few photos...think we pulled them off well.
Whistle stop tour of Lima for some good old american fun - bowling,
cinema and burger King. Cultured we are.

Lastly some chill out time in Mancora, a beach resort on the North
coast. Spent a week living the dream in a beach front apartment with amazing views. Lots of fun in the sun mostly bronzing our bodies. Not all lazing around though - we were up at the crack of dawn for a deep sea fishing trip to catch our food for the week which they cooked for us back at our hotel.. Mark was in his element with the catch of the day... Fran. Ok, it was actually Mancora´s best fish and was pretty tasty (evidence below). Got in some snorkelling time and surf lessons too, unfortunately we didnt manage to show those waves who was boss.

Lucy and Darren have now sadly left us to our own devices as they head home to start work again (thats a shame) and we head north to Ecuador alone to make some new friends to play with...




Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

sun set on Lake titicacasun set on Lake titicaca
sun set on Lake titicaca

Posing on Lake titicaca award goes to...
Lake titicacaLake titicaca
Lake titicaca

Our guide was taking it easy.
Cards in ArequipaCards in Arequipa
Cards in Arequipa

teaching the boys a lesson in poker...
Inca ruins near CuscoInca ruins near Cusco
Inca ruins near Cusco

Sacsaywaman ruins pronounced "sexy woman". haha
Inca ruins near CuscoInca ruins near Cusco
Inca ruins near Cusco

Mark resting on "sexy woman"


24th May 2007

REALLY jealous!!!!!
Hi Fran and Mark, I know you deserve a break after your long inka trek, but you have both had enough fun and relaxing! so stop making us all envious and get on and do something more grueling - your not there to enjoy yourselves. No really, its so good to see the photos of you having a good time, remember to take stock and appreciate your sorroundings - its a beautiful world.
25th May 2007

WOW - could I be more jealous! Sounds and looks like you guys are really doing it all. Mark getting his bum massaged has made my Friday! Have fu guys and safe journey to the next place! xx
30th May 2007

Roberts 1x order of Fanny jam please.. lol..
4th June 2007

Guys, looks like you're having a "fannytastic" time! Hahaha... The pictures are awesome! I'm sure they don't do it justice! Enjoy!

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb