A visit to the Navel of the World / Una visita al Ombligo del Mundo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
April 20th 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cuzco


CUZCO: Dancer / BailarínCUZCO: Dancer / BailarínCUZCO: Dancer / Bailarín

(during one of our walks in the city we came across a dance and dress competition around the square) ********* (durante uno de nuestros paseos por la ciudad nos encontramos un concurso de traje y baile alrededor de la plaza)
Cuzco (altitude: 3,500 m / 11,500 ft), from the Quechua Qosqo (which is now the official spelling) means the “navel of the world” - a name the Incas must have thought fitting for the capital of their mighty empire, which spread some 4,000 kms (2,500 miles) along the Andes from modern day Ecuador to Chile, just south of Santiago (so you get a better idea with more familiar countries, this distance would be the equivalent of going from Lisbon in Portugal to Moscow in Russia).

A small part of this huge empire was spread along the fertile Urubamba Valley, known as the “Sacred Valley”, which we visited on a guided tour. Asked to wait for the bus at 8am outside our hotel, we thought we had been lucky when we were picked up pretty much on time. We noticed there was a sign that said “Spanish tour” on the front of the bus and Maria pointed out to the agent that we had booked an English tour, but she said it was alright as we would change buses later on. We thought this meant at our first destination perhaps, but after going round and round the city picking up other tourists, we ended up right outside our hotel again exactly one hour later, where we were asked to board the “English tour” bus. What the heck?! Needless to say we weren't impressed! How dare they rob us of a whole hour’s lie-in!! (and to make matters worse, our guide didn't speak particularly good English and we were more confused than enlightened by his explanations, but this didn't come as a surprise after so many failed attempts to have a bilingual guide in the past... sigh).

Once on our way, our first stop was the village of Corao which has a popular handicraft market and lots of locals walking with llamas and other eye-catching props to try and get you to take pictures of them for a coin or two. We went round the different stalls but soon became frustrated with all the harassing; we don't think the expression “just browsing thanks” has any meaning or relevance in Peru whatsoever.

Our second stop was the village of Pisaq, which is just as famous for its outstanding archaeological site as for its huge street market. We were again given time to visit the market to please three older Israeli women in the group, despite general protests that we all preferred to spend more time visiting the ruins, particularly since we had already wasted an hour waiting to set off in the morning. So our recommendation if you find yourself looking for a similar guided tour would be to clarify with the agency in advance how much time is dedicated to visiting the sites and how much time dedicated to shopping, so that you can make a decision based on your priorities... we just felt you don't need a guided tour to take you shopping since you can easily catch a bus to any of the market towns and do it on your own, but then again it takes all sorts...

The Pisaq ruins show remnants of a walled city which would have helped protect the capital Cuzco from possible attacks. The most impressive feature of the complex is perhaps the agricultural terraces built onto the mountain side, which are considered the best example of an Incan agricultural platform system in the whole of the Andes.

Next on the list were the ruins at Ollantaytambo; thought to be a fortress by the Spanish, it was in fact a religious, agricultural and administrative centre and a military complex all in one. It has again a number of terraces carved on a hill side, and at the bottom a series of buildings which would have been used as dwellings. Manco Inca, the last but one Inca emperor, rebelled against the Spanish who had already taken control of Cuzco and used Ollantaytambo as a base from which to gather his armies together (he lost) . On a practically vertical rocky wall opposite the complex, further buildings can be seen which are thought to have been used as granaries. How they carried the materials and built these structures up there is anyone's guess!

By the time we left Ollantaytambo for our last stop, Chinchero, the sun was already starting to set, so we had very limited time there; not that you need very long anyway as the ruins are nowhere near as good, with very little remaining other than the characteristic terraces. The church was worth visiting and then - oh joy! - we had some time to spare to go shopping round the stalls lining the square. We thought we'd go round just to kill time, but of course they wouldn't let us to do this in peace, the vendors were shouting at us left, right and centre; so we hadn't even completed had a circle when we decided it had been a long day already and we could do without the hassle, so we just left to wait by the bus! We wondered how come they don't realise that if they harrassed you less, they would sell more, and guessed it must just be part of the culture.

The next day we took another guided tour (with a different agency!), this time of Cuzco and some archaeological sites just outside the city. We were lucky to have a guide who spoke excellent English (first time in South America. Hooray!), after having lived in the US for a short spell. We thought 4 hours might not be enough to see it all and we were right, the visit felt a bit rushed and, since it was an afternoon tour, we ran out of daylight pretty quickly. Unfortunately every agency in town seems to run the same programme, so it's not like you have much choice... had we known we'd be short of time though, we would've taken a morning tour as an introduction and then visited the ruins again on our own to have more time to explore them at our own pace.

We were asked to meet outside the agency, which is located in the Main Square. The bus turned up to pick us up and we got on, drove round the square and just before completing the full 360º circle, we stopped in front of the Cathedral and were asked to get off! Duh? We could’ve walked there faster!!! We thought it was hilarious, what a pointless thing to do!

The Cathedral took 94 years to build, from 1560 to 1654, and it was the first catholic temple to be built in South America. Although of Spanish influence, it also has Quechua touches such as llamas in the paintings that hang on its walls, and Pachamama (Mother Earth) representations carved on the choir seats. It has a black Christ figure, known as the "lord of the earthquakes" as people prayed to him to stop the tremors hitting the city. It was said to have been a present from the king of Spain, and to have been made to look dark-skinned like the Indians so these would better identify with him and they'd be easier to convert to Catholicism.

Not much has survived of the old Inca Capital after the Spaniards arrived in 1533 and mutilated the city. They replaced Inca temples with Catholic churches, and transformed Inca palaces into residences for the conquistadores, building a new city using the foundations of the old one. You now find that many of the buildings across the city still have original Inca walls which are excellent examples of the Incas' outstanding architectural and masonry skills.

The huge stones that form the walls are polished so smoothly and are so precisely cut that they join and interlock perfectly. So perfectly in fact that not even the blade of a knife or a single sheet or paper will fit between two adjoining stones. Archaeologists reckon it took them 10 days to polish and position each stone! Another characteristic of the Inca masonry is that the walls lean slightly inwards. The combination of these techniques made the walls so strong that they have not only survived the passing of time, but also several large earthquakes without suffering any damage.

One of such buildings with an Inca base is the Santo Domingo Convent, built on the foundations of the Qorikancha (“qori” - gold, “kancha” - structure). It was at first believed to be a Temple of the Sun, but later studies have determined that although dedicated to the sun god Inti (and the creator god Viracocha), it was in fact an astronomical observatory. The Temple of the Sun was the main part of the complex, but there were also other temples dedicated to other Andean deities such as the Moon, the Stars and the Rainbow. The first Spaniards who arrived in Cuzco reported that the walls and floor of the Qoricancha were covered in sheets of pure gold and silver, and that a huge image of the sun was encrusted with precious stones (which of course they nicked straightaway).

We left the city and headed for the ruins of Sacsayhuaman, a walled complex believed to be a fortress by the Spanish, but it is actually a religious site; mummies have been found, also pottery, gold and silver - all offerings to the gods. Saqsahuaman means "head of the puma": Cuzco and the surrounding area was built in the shape of a puma (sacred animal in the Andean culture), and this religious site would be - obviously - the head. 60%!o(MISSING)f the rocks come from a quarry 2 kms away, 40%!b(MISSING)elong to the mountain. The heaviest rock is estimated to weigh around 122 tons, the tallest is around 7 m high (23 ft). The top of the walls are missing because the Spanish removed the stones and used them to build churches in Cuzco.

The complex also has an extensive system of underground tunnels which connect it to other ruins within Cuzco. Legend has it that there is a treasure buried somewhere in the maze of tunnels and there hasn't been a lack of people trying to find it and dying in the attempt after getting lost inside. Consequently the entrance to the tunnels has now been blocked and cannot be visited (shame!).

From Sacsayhuaman we next went to Tambomachay (tambo: collective word meaning “lodging”, machay: “place to rest”), a temple dedicated to the worship of water. It is a three story building which would also have been used to accommodate people on their way to or from Cuzco. From here you can see across the road to another set of ruins by the name of Puka pukara, which was a check point for visitors to the tambo.

The last stop was Q'Enqo, which was thought to be an amphitheatre, but the word actually means “labyrinth”. This was an important sacred site as made evident by the remains of entrance doors with 2 frames and walls put together with no mortar, which in the Inca culture signified a very important structure. There is also an underground temple dedicated to Pachamama inside a cave, with a sacrifice "table" in its interior.

The tours were really interesting despite feeling slightly rushed, and we would recommend anybody visiting Cuzco to join one - choose your agency well though! There are loads to choose from so make sure you shop around. Even if you didn't know where to find them, don't worry, they'll find you! We've already mentioned how Peruvians seem to have perfected the art of annoying the hell out of you wherever you go and Cuzco is no exception - in fact, it wins first prize! To keep our sanity whilst wandering around the city, we ended up putting bets on who would guess the number of times we'd be harassed from the square to our accommodation just 2 blocks away and Maria got closer with her guess of “12”. We actually both had a laughing fit every time someone approached us, Mark would shout out the corresponding numbers in Spanish: “eight!” “nine!” “TEN!”, confusing the hell out of them! We think one girl did realise what we were doing because she laughed too.

Honestly, we are not exaggerating - from the moment you set foot on the street you'll get offers to buy and do a fantastic array of things: from the classic “come on our tour” or “eat in my restaurant” (even when you’ve just eaten in the one next door), to the more unusual “come watch a (pirated) film in my bar” to “buy a knitted finger puppet”. These last ones are sold by children stationed in almost every corner (or so it seems), who will ambush you when you least expect it and won't give up easily. There was one in particular who we bumped into a few too many times, and when given a “no, thank you” for an answer, he simply replied (in English) “WHY NOT?”. Cheeky sod, couldn't get rid of him! He wasn't the only one to have bothered to learn some English. One day we were followed by 2 kids pulling the most pitiful faces they could gather, whilst tugging on our sleeves and begging “one sol, sir, please”. When Mark gave them a firm Spanish “NO” (several kind ones didn't work), they replied with a clear “F*** YOU” before running away. Charming! On another occasion we climbed a hill towards a church with good views of the city and we saw a llama grazing outside. Of course we stopped for a picture and before we knew it, we saw this woman running towards us asking for money for having taken a picture of her llama. We thought that she’d used a dirty tactic, so we ignored her, but she followed us for several minutes repeating “pay me, you've taken a picture” like a broken record until we went away and left her to find another victim to harass.

We wanted to include our visit to Machu Picchu here, but we think you may have had enough of Inca ruins for one day so will leave it for the next page, as we've also got loads of pictures to upload!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cuzco (altitud: 3,500 m), del quechua Qosqo (que es ahora la manera oficial de escribirlo) significa el “ombligo del mundo” - apelativo que los Incas deben haber encontrado apropiado para la capital de su poderoso imperio, que se extendió 4.000 kms (2,500 miles) a lo largo de la cordillera de los Andes desde lo que hoy día es Ecuador hasta Chile, un poco al sur de Santiago (para que os hagáis una mejor idea con países más familiares, la distancia sería equivalente a ir desde Lisboa en Portugal a Moscú en Rusia).

Una pequeña parte de este vasto imperio se extendió a lo largo del fértil Valle de Urubamba, conocido como el “Valle Sagrado”, y que visitamos en una excursión guiada. Nos pidieron que estuviéramos listos a la puerta de nuestro hotel a las 8 de la mañana, y pensamos que estábamos de suerte cuando nos recogieron prácticamente en punto. Me extrañó ver un cartel que decía “tour español” al frente del bus, así que se lo comenté a la chica, ya que habíamos contratado uno en inglés, y nos dijo que estaba bien porque cambiaríamos de buses más tarde. Pensamos que quería decir quizás cuando llegáramos a nuestro destino, pero después de dar varias vueltas por la ciudad recogiendo otros turistas, acabamos a la puerta de nuestro hotel otra vez, justo una hora más tarde, donde nos pidieron que abordáramos el bus del “tour inglés”. ¿Pero qué porras? ¡Ni qué decir tiene que no nos hizo mucha gracia! ¡¡Cómo se atreven a robarnos una hora entera de cama!!” (y para más inri, el guía no hablaba buen inglés precisamente y en vez de ilustrarnos más bien nos confundió con sus explicaciones, pero esto ya no nos pilló tanto de sorpresa tras tantos intentos fallidos de encontrar un guía bilingüe en anteriores ocasiones... suspiro).

Cuando por fín salimos de Cuzco, nuestra primera parada fue el pueblo de Corao, que tiene un mercadillo de artesanías y un montón de lugareños paseándose con llamas y otros llamativos accesorios para atraer tu atención y que les saques fotos por una moneda o dos. Nos dimos una vuelta por los puestos, pero pronto nos frustraron de lo agobiantes que son; definitivamente no creemos que eso de “sólo estoy mirando, gracias” tenga ningún significado en Perú en absoluto.

Nuestra segunda parada fue el pueblo de Pisaq, tan famoso por su excellente sitio arqueológico como por su enorme mercadillo. Una vez más nos dieron tiempo para pasearnos por este último, más bien por complacer a 3 mujeres israelies de mayor edad, a pesar de la protesta general del resto del grupo de que preferíamos pasar más tiempo visitando las ruinas, y más teniendo encuenta de que ya llevábamos una hora de retraso por la metedura de pata de por la mañana. Así que un consejo si os encontráis alguna vez buscando un tour guiado similar, siempe clarificad con la agencia por adelantado cuánto tiempo se le dedica a las ruinas y cuánto a ir de compras, para que así podáis hacer una decisión informada de acuerdo con vuestras preferencias... nuestro sentimiento era que realmente deberían dedicar más tiempo a las ruinas ya que hay mucho que ver, y para visitar los mercadillos siempre puedes coger uno de los muchos buses que te llevan directamente a ellos y así ir de compras por tu cuenta sin necesidad de guía, pero en esto mundo hay de todo...

Las ruinas de Pisaq muestran los restos de una ciudad amurallada que habría ayudado a proteger la capital Cuzco de posibles ataques. El rasgo más impresionante del complejo es quizás las terrazas agrícolas construídas en la ladera de la montaña, que están consideradas como el mejor ejemplo de andenería inca en toda la región andina.

A continuación visitamos las ruinas de Ollantaytambo; los españoles creyeron que se trataba de una fortaleza, pero es en realidad un centro religioso, agrícola y administrativo y un complejo militar todo en uno. También tiene un número de terrazas esculpidas en la ladera de la montaña, y en su base una serie de edificios que habrían servido como viviendas. Manco Inca, el penúltimo emperador, se rebeló contra los españoles que ya habían tomado el control de Cuzco, y utilizó Ollantaytambo como base desde la cual reagrupar sus tropas (perdió). Frente al complejo, en una pared rocosa prácticamente vertical, se pueden ver otros edificios que se cree habrían sido utilizados como graneros. Cómo se las arreglaron para subir los materiales y construir estas estructuras allí arriba ¡sólo ellos lo saben!

Para cuando dejamos Ollantaytambo y llegamos a nuestra última parada Chinchero, el sol ya había empezado a ponerse así que tuvimos muy poco tiempo de ver el sitio; aunque no es que necesites mucho de todas formas ya que las ruinas no son tan interesantes como las anteriores, queda muy poco en pie aparte de las terrazas características. La iglesia mereció una visita y - ¡qué alegría! - también tuvimos tiempo de ir de compras por los puestos que bordean la plaza. Pensamos en dar una vuelta por matar tiempo, pero por supuesto de ninguna manera nos iban a dejar hacerlo en paz, y los vendedores nos chillaban a diestro y siniestro; no habíamos completado media vuelta a la plaza cuando decidimos que el día había sido ya lo suficientemente largo y no necesitábamos semejante agobio, así que nos fuimos a esperar al resto del grupo junto al bus. Nos preguntamos cómo no se dan cuenta de que si te agobiaran menos, venderían mucho más, imaginamos que es parte de la cultura.

Al día siguiente contratamos otra visita guiada (¡pero con otro agencia!), esta vez de Cuzco y varios sitios arqueológicos en las afueras. Tuvimos suerte de encontrarnos con un guía que hablaba inglés fluido (la primera vez en Sudamérica, ¡hurra!), después de haber vivido un tiempo en los EEUU. Pensamos que 4 horas no parecía suficiente tiempo para verlo todo y tuvimos razón, fuimos un poco acelerados, y como era por la tarde nos quedamos bastante rápido. Pero como parece que todas las agencias en la ciudad siguen el mimo programa, no es que tengas mucha opción precisamente. Aunque si lo hubiésemos sabido, habríamos ido por la mañana y luego visitado las ruinas otra vez por nuestra cuenta para poder explorarlas a un ritmo más tranquilo.

Nos pidieron que nos reuniéramos frente a la agencia, que estaba en la misma plaza. El bus llegó, nos recogió, dio la vuelta a la plaza y justo antes de completar un círculo de 360º , paró frente a la catedral y nos tuvimos que bajar. ¿Eeeeh? ¡Habría sido más rapido caminar! ¡Todo el bus se bajó muerto de risa, que tontería!

La catedral se construyó en el espacio de 94 años, de 1560 a 1654, y fue el primer templo católico que se contruyó en Sudamérica. Aunque de inluencia española, también tiene toques quechuas como llamas en las pinturas que cuelgan de sus paredes, y representaciones de la Pachamama (Madre Tierra) en los asientos del coro. También tiene una figura de un Cristo negro, conocido como el "señor de los terremotos”, ya que la gente le rezaba a él para que pusiera fin a los tremores que agitaban la ciudad. Dicen que fue un regalo del rey de España, y que es de piel oscura para que los indios se identificaran mejor con él y se convirtieran al catolicismo más facilmente.

Poco ha sobrevivido de la antigua Capital Inca después de que los españoles llegaron en 1533 y mutilaran la ciudad. Reemplazaron los templos incas con iglesias católicas, y transformaron palacios en residencias para los conquistadores, construyendo así una ciudad nueva sobre los cimientos de la vieja. Así es que muchos de los edificios a lo largo y ancho de la ciudad aún conservan los muros incas originales que son excelentes ejemplos de la extraordinaria habilidad arquitectónica y constructiva de los Incas.

Las enormes piedras que forman los muros eran pulidas y cortadas con tanta precisión que encajan y se entrelazan perfectamente. Tan perfectamente que entre dos piedras no cabe ni el filo de un cuchillo ni una hoja de papel. Los arqueólogos creen que tardaban unos ¡10 días! en pulir y colocar cada una de las piedras. Otra característica de las construcciones incas es que los muros se inclinan ligeramente hacia adentro. La combinación de estas técnicas hace que los muros sean tan sólidos que no sólo han resistido el paso del tiempo, sino también violentos terremotos sin sufrir daño alguno.

Uno de tales edificios con una base inca es el Convento de Santo Domingo, construido sobre los cimientos del (“qori” - oro, “kancha” - estructura). Al principio se creyó que se trataba de un Templo del Sol, pero estudios posteriores determinaron que aunque estaba dedicado al dios del sol Inti (y al dios creador Viracocha), se trataba en realidad de un observatorio astronómico. El Templo del Sol era la parte principal, pero había también otros templos dedicados a otras deidades andinas como la Luna, las Estrellas y el Arco Iris. Los primeros españoles que llegaron a Cuzco contaron cómo los muros y el suelo del Qoricancha estaban cubiertos en capas de oro y plata puros, y que había una imagen enorme del sol incrustada con piedras preciosas (que por supuesto se apropiaron sin tardanza).

Dejamos la ciudad y nos dirigimos hacia las ruinas de Sacsayhuaman, un complejo amurallado que los españoles creyeron era una fortaleza, pero estudios más recientes han concluido que era en realidad un sitio religioso, pues se han encontrado momias, cerámica, oro y
SACRED VALLEY: Pisaq Fort / VALLE SAGRADO: Fortaleza de PisaqSACRED VALLEY: Pisaq Fort / VALLE SAGRADO: Fortaleza de PisaqSACRED VALLEY: Pisaq Fort / VALLE SAGRADO: Fortaleza de Pisaq

Notice the sellers by the entrance ready to pounce on you as soon as you get near! ********* Fijaos en las vendedoras junto a la entrada listas para asaltarte en cuanto te acercas!
plata - todo ello ofrendas a los dioses. Saqsahuaman significa "cabeza del puma": Cuzco y sus alrededores están construidos en la forma de un puma (animal sagrado en la cultura andina), y este sitio religioso sería - obviamente - la cabeza. El 60%!d(MISSING)e las piedras provienen de una cantera a 2 kms de distancia, el otro 40%!p(MISSING)ertenecen a la montaña. La piedra más pesada tiene un peso estimado de unas 122 toneladas, y la más alta mide unos 7 metros. A los muros les falta la parte superior porque los españoles se llevaron las piedras para construir sus iglesias en Cuzco.

El complejo también tiene un extenso sistema de túneles subterráneos que lo conectan con otras ruinas en el area. Hay una leyenda que asegura que hay un tesoro enterrado dentro del laberinto de túneles y varias personas han muerto después de perderse tratando de encontrarlo. En consecuencia, la entrada ha sido bloqueada y los túneles no se pueden visitar (¡una lástima!).

De Sacsayhuaman fuimos a Tambomachay (tambo: palabra colectiva que significa “alojamiento”, machay: “lugar de descanso”), un templo dedicado al culto al agua. Es un edificio de tres plantas que también habría servido para alojar a gente entrando a saliendo de Cuzco. Desde el punto más alto se pueden ver, al otro lado de la carretera, las ruinas de Puka pukara, que era un puesto de control de los visitantes al tambo.

La última parada fue Q'Enqo; en principio se pensó que era un anfiteatro, pero la palabra significa en realidad “laberinto”. Era un importante sitio religioso como demuestran los restos de las puertas de entrada, que tienen 2 marcos y han sido construidas sin cemento entre las piedras, que en la cultura inca indicaba que se trataba de una estructura muy importante. Existe también un templo subterráneo dedicado a la Pachamama dentro de una cueva, con una "mesa" de sacrificios en su interior.

Los tours fueron muy interesantes a pesar de ser también un poco acelerados, y se los recomendaríamos a cualquiera que visite Cuzco - ¡pero es importante elegir bien la agencia! Hay un montón entre las que elegir, e incluso si no supieras donde encontrarlas, sin problemas, que ya te encontrarán ellas a tí. Ya hemos mencionado como los peruanos parecen haber perfeccionado el arte de darte la tabarra por donde quiera que vayas y Cuzco no es ninguna excepción - en realidad, ¡gana el primer premio! Para mantener nuestra salud mental mientras paseamos por la ciudad, empezamos a apostar cuántas veces nos iban a abordar entre la plaza y nuestro alojamiento a tan sólo dos bloques y gané yo con “12”. En realidad nos dió un ataque de risa porque cada vez que se nos acercaba alguien, Mark se puso a gritar el número correspondiente en español: “¡ocho!” “¡nueve!” “¡DIEZ!”, dejándolos algo confundidos. Creemos que una chica se dio cuenta de lo que estábamos haciendo porque empezó a reirse también.

En serio, no exageramos - desde el momento que pones el pie en la calle recibes todo un abanico de ofertas para hacer o comprar una variedad singular de cosas: desde los clásicos “hagan un tour con nosotros” o “entre a cenar en mi restaurante” (incluso si acabas de salir del de al lado), a los menos comunes como “ven a ver una película (pirateada) en mi bar” o “cómprame una marioneta de dedo tejida”. Estas últimas te las venden niños estacionados en todas las esquinas (o esa es la impresión que da), que te asaltan cuando menos te lo esperan y no se rinden fácilmente. Había uno en particular con el que nos topamos demasiadas veces, y cada vez que le decíamos “no, gracias” nos replicaba con lo mismo “¿POR QUÉ NO?” (¡en inglés!). Qué fresco. Y no era el único que se había molestado en aprender algo de inglés. Un día se nos pegaron dos críos, poniéndonos unas caras de pena terrible, y tirándonos de las mangas pidiendo “un sol, señor, por favor”. Cuando Mark les dio un firme “¡NO!” (varios amables no funcionaron), nos contestaron con un “¡QUE TE JODAN!” (en inglés) bien clarito antes de salir corriendo. ¡Encantadores! En otra ocasión subimos una cuesta para llegar a una iglesia con vistas sobre la ciudad y vimos una llama pastando. Por supuesto nos paramos a sacar una foto y de repente vemos una mujer corriendo hacia nosotros desde la distancia, pidiéndonos dinero por haber sacado una foto a su llama. Nos pareció que no se lo merecía por haber usado un truco sucio, así que la ignoramos, pero se nos pegó como una lapa y nos siguió durante varios minutos repitiendo como un disco rallado “propina, ha sacado” (no hablaba mucho español), hasta que nos alejamos demasiado y la dejamos buscando otra víctima a quien acosar.

Queríamos incluir aquí nuestra visita a Machu Picchu, pero nos parece que ya han sido suficientes ruinas por un día así que lo dejaremos para la próxima página, ¡ya que también tenemos que “subir” un montón de fotos!



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



28th July 2007

Bravo!
Me gusto vuestro blog!!! yo soy de cusco y emociona mucho que mi ciudad sea conocida por todo el mundo!! saludos!!!
23rd June 2008

Unpronounceable street names? Try Welsh! XD I am Peruvian btw.
18th March 2011
SACRED VALLEY: Local women at Corao market / VALLE SAGRADO: Mujeres locales en mercado de Corao

is beautifull
I lived in that comunity but in this moment I live in cusco

Tot: 0.589s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 22; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb