Discovering the Lost City of the Inca / Descubriendo la Ciudad Perdida de los Incas


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
April 23rd 2006
Published: November 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Machu Picchu


MACHU PICCHU: The City in the Clouds / La Ciudad en las NubesMACHU PICCHU: The City in the Clouds / La Ciudad en las NubesMACHU PICCHU: The City in the Clouds / La Ciudad en las Nubes

You feel on top of the world here! ********* ¡Aquí te sientes en la cima del mundo!
There are two ways to get to Machu Picchu from Cuzco:
1. The "Blimey, that's expensive", but quick and comfortable way: by train to Aguas Calientes, the town at the foot of the mountain; or
2. The "Bl**dy 'ell, HOW MUCH??", 2 or 4-day long, knackering but surely more interesting way: walking the infamous Inca Trail.

We went by train. Now, before you all start thinking we are either a) tight-fisted or b) lazy, let us go into it in a bit more detail!

The Inca Trail is a 45km trek that follows the classic route used by the Inca themselves. It lasts 4 days and takes you through different climates, altitudes and landscapes as it winds its way up from lush rain forests at 2,000 m (6,560 ft) to high mountain passes at 4,200 m (13, 779 ft), passing other Inca ruins on the way. It is said to be one of those things you have to do at least once in your lifetime and an experience that will stay with you forever.

In the past, you could do the trek on your own without a guide, carrying all your camping equipment, clothes and food for the 4 days/3 nights yourself or hiring a porter to do it for you. However, a series of problems like trekkers littering the trail, using the ruins as toilets (how can people be so disgusting!!), porters carrying stupid amounts of weight and being paid a pittance, and tourists being assaulted and robbed of their possessions, prompted the Peruvian government to introduce a number of measures to put a stop to all this.

So as from 2002, the new regulations stipulate that the porters may not carry more than 25 kgs each and should be paid a fair salary; that all groups must be accompanied by a registered guide; and that only 500 people per day are allowed on the trail. Considering that around 300 of these are guides and porters, that leaves only 200 spaces for trekkers per day. This may sound like plenty, but when you consider this is one of the most popular treks in the world, with thousands of people wanting to do it every year, it's not surprising that the spaces sell out months in advance for the "nice" (i.e. dry) months. Even when the experience doesn't come cheap: since the regulations were put in place, you have to go through an agency to book a space on the walk and fork out a shocking US$350+ for it. The price usually covers trail and entrance to the ruins fees, insurance, the guide(s), the porters, all camping equipment and food for the duration of the trek, and sometimes transport from and to Cuzco (it doesn't however include the tips that you are expected to give the guide(s) and porters at the end of the adventure). The porters will not carry any of your personal stuff though, so you still have to carry a fair amount of weight yourself. Some agencies may offer you a lower price but you have to then wonder what corners they are cutting - maybe the guide is too inexperienced, they have no proper insurance in place, or they are not paying the porters a fair salary.

Despite the shock we got when we found out how much it was going to cost, we would have still liked to do it; however by the time we enquired in mid April, there were no spaces left until 1 month later in mid May, and we couldn't afford to wait that long. Our major
MACHU PICCHU: The Temple of the Sun / El Templo del SolMACHU PICCHU: The Temple of the Sun / El Templo del SolMACHU PICCHU: The Temple of the Sun / El Templo del Sol

The only round building in the complex. A very sacred structure, only the emperor and high priests would have been allowed inside ********* El único edificio circular del complejo. Estructura sagrada, sólo les estaba permitida la entrada al emperador y los altos sacerdotes
concern however was the scare we had had with Maria's reaction to the high altitude, and although the pills were working and she didn't have any reoccurrence, we felt it wouldn't bee too sensible to undertake such a demanding trek and risk having the same problem in the middle of the mountains with the nearest help being many hours walking away. You must not underestimate altitude sickness; if you're lucky it'll only make you tired but if you're not, it can lead to an accumulation of fluid in your brain (what the doctor thought Maria had), which if untreated may in turn lead to coma and death. That's why any decent agency will recommend you to spend a few days in Cuzco acclimatising before going on the trek.

There is a shorter walk of 2 days duration only which we thought would be ideal in our circumstances, but this one too was sold out for weeks in advance, so we were left with the train option, which at US$150 (return) each did not come in cheap either! And this was the economical option too. If you want to travel in the luxury version of the train, be prepared to
MACHU PICCHU: The Royal Tomb / La Tumba RealMACHU PICCHU: The Royal Tomb / La Tumba RealMACHU PICCHU: The Royal Tomb / La Tumba Real

Found under the Temple of the Sun; check out the amazing "brickwork" around the natural rock formations! ********* Situada bajo el Templo del Sol; lo que más nos impresionó fue el trabajo de "albañilería" alrededor de la roca. ¡Qué habilidad!
cough up US$575 for the pleasure! To the US$150 train fare, add US$20 per person for the entrance fee to the ruins, plus US$9 (each way) per person for the bus from the village if you don't want to do the steep climb on foot, and not including accommodation or food, the “Machu Picchu experience” has already cost you almost US$200! When you consider this would be the equivalent of paying around £550 if it was in the UK, you can understand why we mentioned a couple of pages back that this is the biggest rip-off in South America. Though most likely in the whole world!! (one mustn’t forget that the vast majority of people in the country do not earn the minimum wage and this amount is a small fortune for them).

It broke our hearts to look out of the window of the train when we went past the outskirts of Cuzco and later on tiny villages and see their inhabitants dressed in rags waving the train goodbye. We wondered what goes through their heads when they see this train full of white faces on their way to visit what is possibly the most important symbol of their culture and a place they will never be able to afford seeing themselves (indeed the only non-white faces we saw the whole day of our visit were either employees or guides).

Having paid so dearly for the experience, we were determined to enjoy every possible minute, and got up at 5am (it was still dark outside) to catch the first bus which drops you at the entrance about 10 minutes before they open at 6am. When we went in, it was just dawning, thick fog covered the whole site making it difficult to see much, but at the same time it gave our surroundings a bit of a ghostly appearance, adding to the mystic atmosphere of the place.

This Inca city was built on the summit of Machu Picchu ("Old Mountain", 2,350 m / 7,700ft), by order of the Inca emperor Pachacutec, between 1400 and 1500 AD. It is without a doubt the best preserved Incan archaeological site in existence today, and the greatest architectonic accomplishment of the Inca Empire. Considering they didn't know the wheel, it is difficult to imagine how they managed to move the enormous rocks to their locations. They did not have a
MACHU PICCHU: Palace of the Princess / Palacio de la PrincesaMACHU PICCHU: Palace of the Princess / Palacio de la PrincesaMACHU PICCHU: Palace of the Princess / Palacio de la Princesa

Next door to the Temple of the Sun; due to its location and the quality of its construction it is believed to have been the residence of a very important person ********* Adyacente al Templo del Sol; por su situación y la calidad de su construcción se cree que fue la residencia de una persona muy importante
written language either, and therefore didn't leave any written records of their culture; consequently it is impossible to know exactly what purpose the city served. Some theories suggest it was a sanctuary inhabited mainly by high priests and the "Virgins of the Sun" - this is supported by excavations which unearthed human remains - as many as 109 of the 135 skeletons found were women. Other theories maintain it was the home of Inca nobility, and that it was built with the aim to provide shelter to the emperor and those close to him in the event of an attack; and he would have been well protected here - the site is built on the edge of sheer cliffs and is practically inaccesible.

What fate befell its inhabitants is another one of Machu Picchu's mysteries. Some scholars have suggested it may have been the result of a war with a rival tribe. These wars were very violent and merciless and often resulted in entire communities being exterminated. Others suggest an epidemic could have wiped out the whole population. We will never know what truly happened.

Be as it may, it is believed the city was already depopulated by
MACHU PICCHU: The Prison Area / La zona de las cárcelesMACHU PICCHU: The Prison Area / La zona de las cárcelesMACHU PICCHU: The Prison Area / La zona de las cárceles

They would sit the prisoners down and tie their hands up after threading them through those holes. The Incas didn't imprison their convincts but rather punished them according to the crime committed ********* Sentaban a los prisioneros y les ataban las manos tras ensartarlas por esos agujeros; los Incas no encarcelaban a sus convictos sino que los castigaban de acuerdo con el delito cometido
the time the Spanish arrived. Indeed, as prolific as they had been in finding, ransacking and destroying any other Inca site, they left Machu Picchu intact. The fact that the site is in such good condition (the only things missing are the thatched roofs), and that there is not one single mention of it in any of the Spanish chronicles of the time, suggests they remained unaware of their existence.

And so it was that Machu Picchu became lost in the memory of time and in the surrounding Peruvian jungle, until an American professor by the name of Hiram Bingham discovered it in 1911. He wasn't the first one to learn of its existence though; local people already knew about it and it was in fact a local shepherd who brought it to his attention and even guided him there. So in the strictest meaning of the word Bingham was not the person who discovered it but the person who made it known to the rest of the world. During the years that followed, Bingham returned several times with a number of expeditions who drew maps and performed excavations, unearthing some 5,000 archaeological pieces which he took back with
MACHU PICCHU: The prison area / La zona de las cárcelesMACHU PICCHU: The prison area / La zona de las cárcelesMACHU PICCHU: The prison area / La zona de las cárceles

The natural rock forms the right hand side of the Temple of the Condor. It has underground cavities that may have been used as dungeons; the Condor God was a symbol of justice ********* La roca natural forma la parte derecha del Templo del Cóndor. Tiene unas cavidades subterráneas que podrían haber sido usadas como mazmorras; el Dios Cóndor era un símbolo de justicia.
him to the US and are still to be returned, despite repeated requests by the Peruvian government.

The complex covers an area of approximately 5 square kms (2 square miles), and is divided into two areas, the Agricultural Sector and the Urban Sector. The agricultural sector consists of a number of irrigation channels and terraces serving both as cultivation platforms and as retention walls to withstand the effects of erosion. The urban sector is subdivided into smaller areas such as the Sacred (religious) District, with palaces and temples; the Royal District, with residences for the Inca, the royal family, the high priests, etc.; and the Industrial District, with structures believed to have served as workshops. The Prison Area is found within the Royal District. Rather than write longer paragraphs describing all the main features (which could take quite a while), we thought we'd just add some comments to the pictures, which is less work and we think it will also make it easier to follow. You could always go to google for more information if you are really thirsty for more knowledge!

It doesn't matter how many times you've seen pictures or documentaries on the site; when you set foot in it and see it with your own eyes you feel a real sense of awe. When we arrived everyone else seemed to be in a hurry to go to the top of the hill hoping to get “the classic shot”, but the fog was really thick and we guessed it would still take quite a long time to lift (and it did), so we went round exploring the rest of the site instead. It was magical to have these spots all to ourselves and be able to enjoy the peace and quiet that reigns there before the big crowds arrived.

We spent ages going round all the different areas, and by 9am we were already starving so we nipped out for breakfast. You are not allowed to take any food into the complex and apart from the luxury hotel on site, there is only one place at the entrance where you can buy food, so they can charge pretty much whatever they want. And they do - we paid about double what we would have paid in the village. So with a new supply of energy from the breakfast, we headed to the highest point of
MACHU PICCHU: PutucusiMACHU PICCHU: PutucusiMACHU PICCHU: Putucusi

The town of Aguas Calientes is on the other side of this mountain, which you can climb (if you dare) for incredible views of Machu Picchu. We couldn't do it, the climb was closed due to the bad condition of the paths after heavy rain ********* El pueblo de Aguas Calientes está al otro lado de esta montaña, que puedes trepar (si te atreves) para conseguir vistas increibles de Machu Picchu. Nosotros no pudimos hacerlo, la subida estaba cerrada por la mala condición del camino tras fuertes lluvias
the site for the “classic view” now that the fog had cleared. It really is an incredible sight and we spent a while trying to recognise any of the prominent features from this vantage viewpoint. Whilst setting up the automatic delay timer for the picture at the top of the page, three different people offered to take it for us, but failed miserably to take a decent shot (even when Maria explained exactly what she wanted and showed them on the preview screen) - they all managed to chop off the peak in the background rather badly, so we gave up on volunteers and went back to the original plan of using the timer - Perfect! Good job we're not using a film camera anymore!

That peak is called Waynapicchu (“Young Mountain”, 2,634 m / 8,600 ft) and the one-hour trek to the top is highly recommended for incredible circular views over the ruins and the surrounding peaks and valleys. Before we headed for it though we stopped at the Sacred District as we still hadn't seen it. Being the most popular area however, it was heaving with tour groups and it felt really crowded, so we thought we'd
MACHU PICCHU: Funerary Rock, Agricultural Sector / Roca Funeraria, Sector AgrícolaMACHU PICCHU: Funerary Rock, Agricultural Sector / Roca Funeraria, Sector AgrícolaMACHU PICCHU: Funerary Rock, Agricultural Sector / Roca Funeraria, Sector Agrícola

Thought to have been the place where the nobility were mummified ********* Se cree que esta roca era el lugar donde momificaban a la nobleza
come back later for some pictures, as we needed to get on with climbing Waynapicchu (you're not allowed to start the walk after 1pm, there is a registration post to keep track of the number of people going up each day).

The steep climb to the top of Waynapicchu takes a little over an hour; the path was very narrow and we were grateful for the presence of ropes in places, as sometimes you have a vertical drop to one side, so it's not for the faint hearted! But it was definitely worth the effort as the views from the top are simply amazing, and without a doubt amongst the most spectacular we've come across so far - even if the ruins hadn’t been there.

We then climbed Huchuypichu (“Small Mountain”, 2,479 m / 8,100 ft) which is the smaller peak behind Mark's head. The views from here aren't entirely circular as Waynapicchu gets in the way, however you get a much closer bird-eye view of the ruins so again it was well worth the climb. We stayed up there for quite a while, taking it all in, and when we arrived at the bottom the girl at the registering post gave a great sigh of relief - silly thing had forgotten to tell us that being Sunday they closed one hour earlier and she was starting to get worried and thinking maybe she should send someone to look for us! And in the meantime there we were thinking we still had ages when in fact we were 15 minutes late. Mark got a juicy apple as a prize for being the last person to sign out.

We were very pleased to find that most people had had enough and the place was virtually deserted even though it was still 2 hours until closing time. So apart from about 3 groups and a small number of stragglers like us, we had the place almost to ourselves again, excellent! With the visitors away, the usual inhabitants started to come out of their hiding places and apart from a few birds we came across a couple of sun-bathing lizards and a vizcacha. The latter was a real surprise, as Maria was just lining up a shot of an unusual plant when the furry creature jumped out from behind a rock and sat right by this plant for a few minutes, as if posing for the picture!

With less than an hour to go until closing time, we headed back to some of the sites we'd been to before, but hadn't photographed because of the hords of tourists. Returning to the “Sacred District”, we were amazed to find a guy inside a cordoned-off area sitting atop one of the most (if not “the” most) sacred symbols of the whole site, facing the setting sun and seemingly meditating in some sort of yoga position. There was a young girl with him who was taking pictures and filming him with a video camera. There were also another couple of tourists looking at him in total disbelief and for a few minutes no-one seemed to dare say anything, though we did comment on it amongst ourselves. The guy seemed completely oblivious to our presence and after a few more minutes Maria felt the urge to say something and asked him if he was planning to come down anytime soon, reminding him that the rope was there for a reason and that he should not be there in the first place. He ignored her at first, but after she insisted he turned round
MACHU PICCHU: The Mortars, Industrial Quarter / Los Morteros, Zona IndustrialMACHU PICCHU: The Mortars, Industrial Quarter / Los Morteros, Zona IndustrialMACHU PICCHU: The Mortars, Industrial Quarter / Los Morteros, Zona Industrial

Some say they were used to grind grains, others say to mix dyes ********* Algunos dicen que se utilizaban para machacar granos, otros que para mezclar tintes
and, cool as a cucumber, replied that he had “a good reason to be there”. After an “exchange of views” where we both told him that we thought he was totally inconsiderate and that this was a sacred spot that he should respect, not sit on, no matter what reasons he had, he replied in an arrogant tone that he wasn't planning to come down anytime soon, adding: “you can report me if you want”.

He didn't need to tell us twice. Since it was time to leave anyway, we headed for the entrance, where we brought the incident to the attention of the employees. Unfortunately he must have realised we were going to grass on him and followed us out of the complex, so he wasn't caught red-handed. But technology being as great as it can be, digital photography turned against him when Maria showed a picture she had taken of him to the shocked employees, who promptly called the police. The police said they'd be waiting for him at the village and asked if we could pop into the station when we arrived (we had to board the next bus as the one he took was full). When we got there he was being questioned and his camera and video camera had been confiscated. We were greeted by the administrator of the ruins and another lady (not sure who she was), who asked for our side of the story and thanked us quite fervently for having reported him. Apparently they had found plenty of incriminating evidence in his cameras, which they suspected would have been used as marketing material for some weirdo school he was planning to set up abroad (the word “aliens” came into the conversation - some people actually believe Machu Picchu was built by aliens and expect them to visit some time!), and they feared it would encourage others to follow him and do likewise. They also asked us not to publish the picture on the web (for this same reason) nor give too many details and we're acknowledging their request, only we still wanted to tell the anecdote, as we found it enormously rewarding to teach someone, who didn't show any respect for the place that he was visiting, a good lesson. Although we were a little disappointed that the police didn't ask us for a full statement, but maybe we've seen too
MACHU PICCHU: Principal Temple, Sacred District / Templo Principal, Barrio SagradoMACHU PICCHU: Principal Temple, Sacred District / Templo Principal, Barrio SagradoMACHU PICCHU: Principal Temple, Sacred District / Templo Principal, Barrio Sagrado

The damage to the wall was caused by ground subsidence, not construction defects ********* El muro fue dañado por hundimiento del suelo, no defectos de construcción
much TV!

As a thank you, the administrator got us a substantial discount on a nice hotel room (the place where we stayed the night before was horrible), and took us to the local thermal baths that gave the town its name (“Aguas Calientes” means “Hot Waters”), paying the local rate, rather than the tourist rate. The pools are all natural, have all different temperatures and stink of sulphur. This doesn't seem to bother the locals who cram into them looking like beans that have been left in a pot to soak. We didn't find it particularly pleasurable, but didn't want to appear rude, so after a little while and pointing out that we had been up since 5am, we left for a nice shower in our hotel room.

The next day we returned to Cuzco for one more night before heading out to another Peruvian destination whose existence has also been linked to extraterrestrial activity. What an obsession with the green creatures (not the Peruvians, but so called foreign “experts”), it's like something out of the X-files!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hay dos maneras de llegar hasta Machu Picchu desde Cuzco:
1. La "Joroba, qué caro”, pero rápida
MACHU PICCHU: Intiwatana (Sacred District / Barrio Sagrado)MACHU PICCHU: Intiwatana (Sacred District / Barrio Sagrado)MACHU PICCHU: Intiwatana (Sacred District / Barrio Sagrado)

"Hitching post of the sun", its 4 corners are orientated towards the 4 cardinal points (thus helping the Incas to predict the solstices) ********* "Lugar donde se amarra el sol", sus 4 esquinas están orientadas hacia los 4 puntos cardinales (así ayudando a los incas a predecir los solsticios)
y cómoda: en tren hasta Aguas Calientes, el pueblo en la base de la montaña; o
2. La "C*ño, ¿¿CUANTO??", de 2 o 4 días de duración, agotadora pero sin duda más interesante: pateándose la famosa Ruta Inca.

Nosotros fuimos en tren. Pero antes de que empecéis a pensar que somos a) tacaños o b) vagos, !entremos en un poco más en detalle!

La Ruta Inca es una caminata de 45km que sigue la ruta clásica usada por los mismos Incas. Dura 4 días y atraviesa diferentes climas, altitudes y paisajes mientras sube desde la exhuberante selva tropical a 2.000 m hasta puertos de alta montaña a 4.200 m, pasando otras ruinas incas en el camino. Dicen que es una de esas cosas que hay que hacer al menos una vez en la vida y una experiencia que permanecerá grabada en tu memoria para siempre.

En el pasado uno podía hacer la ruta por su cuenta, con o sin guía, cargando con el equipo de acampada, ropa y comida para los 4 días /3 noches, o contratando un porteador que lo hiciera por tí. Sin embargo, un número de problemas, como los excursionistas dejando basura por el camino, usando las ruinas como retretes (¡pero cómo puede ser la gente tan guarra!), los porteadores cargando con pesos rídiculos y recibiendo una miseria como pago, y los turistas siendo asaltados y despojados de sus posesiones, llevó al gobierno peruano a introducir una serie de medidas para poner fín a todo esto.

Y así, desde el 2002, las nuevas reglas estipulan entre otras cosas: que los porteadores no deben cargan con más de 25 kgs cada uno y deben recibir un salario justo; que todos los grupos deben ser acompañados de un guía certificado; y que el número máximo de personas por día en la ruta no debe exceder las 500. Considerando que alrededor de 300 de estas personas son guías y porteadores, esto sólo deja 200 espacios para turistas. Aunque suena suficiente, cuando consideras que ésta es una de las caminatas más famosas en el mundo, con miles de personas queriendo tomar parte cada año, no es de sorprender que los espacios se agotan con meses de antelación (sobretodo para los meses “bonitos” (o sea, los secos). Incluso cuando la experiencia no sale precisamente barata: desde que estas reglas entraron en vigor, tienes que reservar tu espacio a través de una agencia y acoquinar unos US$350+. El precio por lo general cubre tasas de ruta y precio de entrada a las ruinas, seguro, guía(s), porteadores, todo el equipo de acampada y comida para los días que dura la caminata, y a veces también transporte desde y hacia Cuzco (pero no incluye las propinas que se espera les des a los guías y porteadores al final de la aventura). Los porteadores sin embargo no cargan con ninguna de tus cosas personales, así que aún tienes que cargar con bastante peso tú mismo. Algunas agencias quizás te cobren menos pero entonces tienes que plantearte cómo se las arreglan para reducir gastos - quizás el guía no tiene suficiente experiencia, no tienen un seguro adecuado, o no están pagando a los porteadores un salario justo.

A pesar del susto que nos llevamos cuando nos enteramos del coste, aún nos habría gustado hacerlo; sin embargo para cuando llegamos a Cuzco y preguntamos a mediados de abril, ya no quedaban espacios hasta un mes más tarde a mediados de mayo, y no nos podíamos permitir esperar tanto. Además teníamos otra preocupación mayor, que era el susto de mi reacción a la altitud,
MACHU PICCHU: The Long and Winding road to the ruins / El largo y tortuoso camino a las ruinasMACHU PICCHU: The Long and Winding road to the ruins / El largo y tortuoso camino a las ruinasMACHU PICCHU: The Long and Winding road to the ruins / El largo y tortuoso camino a las ruinas

View from Waynapicchu. Don't forget to click on the map link at the top of the page for a really cool satellite picture ********* Vista desde Waynapicchu. No dejéis de echar un vistazo al mapa a la cabecera de la página para ver una foto satelital super chula
y aunque las pastillas estaban haciendo su trabajo y no había vuelto a tener problemas, pensamos que en cualquier caso no era demasiado sensato emprender una marcha tan exigente y arriesgarnos a tener el mismo problema en mitad de las montañas con la ayuda más cercana a muchas horas de caminata. Y es que el mal de altura no se debe tomar a la ligera; si tienes suerte sólo hará que te sientas cansado, pero si no la tienes, puede producirte una acumulación de fluido en el cerebro (lo que el médico pensó que me había pasado a mí), que si no se trata puede desembocar en coma y muerte. Es por esto que cualquier agencia decente te recomienda pasar unos días en Cuzco aclimatándote antes de emprender la marcha.

Existe una versión más corta de sólo dos días de duración, que pensamos sería lo ideal en nuestras circunstancias, pero ésta también estaba agotada durante varias semanas, así que sólo nos quedó la opción de tomar el tren, que a US$150 (ida y vuelta) ¡no salió barato tampoco! Y ésta era la opción económica encima. Si prefieres la de lujo, ¡prepárate a desprenderte de US$575 por el capricho! Así
MACHU PICCHU: Good job we don't suffer from vertigo / Menos mal que no sufrimos de vértigoMACHU PICCHU: Good job we don't suffer from vertigo / Menos mal que no sufrimos de vértigoMACHU PICCHU: Good job we don't suffer from vertigo / Menos mal que no sufrimos de vértigo

Climbing down from Waynapicchu ********* Bajando de Waynapicchu
que entre los US$150 del tren, los US$20 por persona que te cuesta la entrada a las ruinas, más US$9 (cada trayecto) por persona por el bus que te lleva desde el pueblo si no quieres darte una paliza subiendo a pie, sin contar alojamiento y comida la “experiencia Machu Picchu” ya te ha costado casi US$200! Cuando consideras que esto sería equivalente a pagar alrededor de €650 si fuese en España, ¡entenderéis por qué decíamos un par de páginas más atrás que era el robo más grande de Sudamérica! ¡¡Aunque posiblemente más bien en el mundo entero!! (no hay que olvidarse de que la mayoría del país no gana este salario mínimo y semejante cantidad es una verdadera fortuna para ellos).

Nos rompió el corazón cuando, al pasar por las afueras de Cuzco y más tarde pueblos minúsculos, miramos por la ventana y vimos a los habitantes, vestidos con trapos viejos, saludando al tren. Nos preguntamos que pasará por sus cabezas cuando ven el tren lleno de caras blancas de camino a visitar lo que es muy posiblemente el símbolo más importante de su cultura y un lugar que nunca se podrán permitir visitar (las únicas caras no
MACHU PICCHU: Pyramid, Sacred District / Pirámide, Barrio SagradoMACHU PICCHU: Pyramid, Sacred District / Pirámide, Barrio SagradoMACHU PICCHU: Pyramid, Sacred District / Pirámide, Barrio Sagrado

The Intiwatana is on the top of this pyramid like hill ********* El Intiwatana está en la cima de esta colina en forma de pirámide
blancas que vimos en todo el día de nuestra visita eran o empleados o guías).

Habiendo pagado tanto por la experiencia, estábamos determinados a disfrutar de cada posible minuto, y así nos levantamos a las 5 de la mañana (aún de noche cerrada) para coger el primer bus que te deja en la puerta unos 10 minutos antes de la hora de apertura (a las 6). Cuando entramos sólo estaba empezando a amanecer, y una gruesa niebla cubría todo el sitio haciendo algo difícil poder ver mucho, pero al mismo tiempo daba a los alrededores una apariencia algo fantasmagórica, añadiendo encanto a la ya mística atmósfera del lugar.

Esta ciudad Inca fue construida en la cima de Machu Picchu ("Montaña Vieja", 2,350 m), por orden del emperador Pachacutec, entre 1400 y 1500 DC. Es sin ninguna duda el sitio arqueológico inca mejor conservado que existe en la actualidad, y el mayor logro arquitectónico del Imperio Inca. Considerando que no conocían la rueda, se hace difícil imaginar cómo se las arreglaron para mover los enormes bloques de piedra hasta sus posiciones correspondientes. Tampoco conocían la escritura, y por tanto no dejaron documentos escritos acerca de su cultura; consecuentemente es imposible saber con exactitud con qué propósito se construyó la ciudad. Unas teorías sugieren que fue un santuario habitado sólo por sumos sacerdotes y las "Vírgenes del Sol" - esta teoría viene apoyada por excavaciones que desenterraron restos humanos; de los 135 esqueletos encontrados, 109 eran femeninos. Otras teorías mantienen que era la residencia de la realeza y nobleza Inca, y que se construyó con el propósito de refugiar al emperador y a aquellos cercanos a él en caso de ataque; y bien protegidos que habrían estado aquí - el sitio se encuentra al borde de escarpados precipicios y es prácticamente inaccesible.

Otro de los misterios de Machu Picchu es el destino que corrieron sus habitantes. Unos expertos han sugerido que pudo ser el resultado de una guerra con una tribu enemiga. Estas guerras eran muy violentas y despiadadas y a menudo resultaban en el exterminio de comunidades enteras; vamos, que estos Incas una vez que se ponían no dejaban títere con cabeza. Otros sugieren que una epidemia pudo haber acabado con toda la población. Pero nunca llegaremos a saber lo que pasó en realidad.

Sea como sea, se cree que la ciudad ya estaba despoblada para cuando llegaron los españoles. Y es que con lo eficaces que estos fueron encontrando, saqueando y destruyendo todos los demás sitios incas, sin embargo dejaron a Machu Picchu intacto. El hecho de que el sitio está en tan buen estado de conservación (lo único que le falta son los tejados de paja), y que las crónicas españolas de su tiempo no le hacen mención ninguna, sugiere que los españoles nunca supieron de su existencia.

Y así fue que Machu Picchu se perdió en la memoria de los tiempos y en la jungla peruana que lo envolvió, hasta que un profesor americano de nombre Hiram Bingham lo descubrió en 1911. El no fue el primero en saber de su existencia, sin embargo; la gente local conocía la ubicación de las ruinas y de hecho fue un pastor que vivía en los alrededores quien le habló de ellas y le guió hasta allí. Así que estrictamente hablando Bingham no fue la persona que las descubrió sino más bien quien las dió a conocer al resto del mundo. Durante los años que siguieron, Bingham regresó varias veces con una serie de expediciones que trazaron mapas y realizaron excavaciones, desenterrando unas 5.000 piezas arqueológicas
MACHU PICCHU: The Sacred Rock/ La Roca SagradaMACHU PICCHU: The Sacred Rock/ La Roca SagradaMACHU PICCHU: The Sacred Rock/ La Roca Sagrada

Before a village could be built, a sacred stone had to be dedicated to the site. This one is meant to be shaped like the landscape behind (not visible with all the clouds!) ********* Antes de poder construir un pueblo, se le tenía que dedicar una piedra sagrada. Esta se supone que tiene la forma del paisaje de fondo (¡que no se ve por la niebla!)
que se llevó a los EEUU con él y aún no han sido devueltas a pesar de repetidas peticiones del gobierno peruano.

El complejo cubre un área de aproximadamente 5 kms cuadrados, y se divide en dos áreas, el Sector Agrícola y el Sector Urbano. El sector agrícola consiste de un número de canales de riego y terrazas que hacen las veces de plataformas de cultivo y de muros de retención para resistir los efectos de la erosión. El sector urbano está subdividido en áreas más pequeñas tales como el El Barrio Sagrado (religioso), con palacios y templos; el Barrio Real, con residencias para el Inca, la familia real, los sumos sacerdotes...; y el Barrio Industrial con estructuras que se creen sirvieron como talleres. La zona de las Cárceles se encuentra dentro del Barrio Real. En vez de escribir párrafos detallados describiendo todos los rasgos principales (que podría llevar bastante tiempo), pensamos que mejor añadíamos comentarios breves bajo las fotos; menos trabajo y creemos que más fácil de seguir también. ¡Siempre podéis acudir a google para más información si tenéis más sed de conocimientos!

No importa las veces que hayas visto fotos o documentales acerca del lugar; cuando entras y lo ves con tus propios ojos no puedes dejar de sentirte totalmente maravillado. Cuando llegamos nosotros el resto de la muchedumbre parecía tener prisa por subir hasta el punto más alto para lograr obtener “la vista clásica”, pero la niebla era realmente densa y nos imaginamos que aún tardaría bastante en despejarse (y acertamos), así que elegimos ir en dirección contraria y explorar el resto del complejo. Fue algo mágico el poder tener todos esos rincones para nosotros solos y disfrutar de la paz y tranquilidad que reina en el lugar antes de que llegaran las multitudes.

Pasamos un montón de tiempo recorriéndonos las partes más bajas y remotas, hasta que a eso de las 9 no podíamos ya más con el hambre y salimos a desayunar. No te está permitido entrar con comida al complejo y, aparte del hotel de lujo que hay junto a la misma entrada, sólo hay un otro sitio donde comprar comida, así que te cobran lo que les da la gana - pagamos como el doble de lo que habríamos pagado en el pueblo. Después de desayunar y con renovadas energías nos dirigimos al punto más alto del sitio para disfrutar
MACHU PICCHU: Terraces, Agricultural Sector / Terrazas, Sector AgrícolaMACHU PICCHU: Terraces, Agricultural Sector / Terrazas, Sector AgrícolaMACHU PICCHU: Terraces, Agricultural Sector / Terrazas, Sector Agrícola

When cultivated, the terraces would have allowed the city to be completely self-sufficient ********* Una vez cultivadas, las terrazas habrían permitido a la ciudad ser completamente auto-suficiente
de esa “vista clásica” ya que la niebla por fín se había dispersado. Realmente es una vista increíble y pasamos un buen rato intentando reconocer las estructuras más prominentes desde esta posición estratégica. Mientras preparaba el disparador automático para sacar la foto que encabeza la página, 3 personas distintas se ofrecieron a sacarla por nosotros, pero fallaron miserablemente por mucho que les expliqué en detalle lo que quería mostrándoselo en la pantalla - para empezar, los 3 se las arreglaron para cortar el pico del fondo por la mitad, así que tiramos la toalla y volvimos al plan original de utilizar el disparador automático - ¡perfecto! ¡Menos mal que ya no utilizamos cámara de película!

Ese pico de la foto se llama Waynapicchu (“Montaña Joven”, 2.634 m) y la caminata de una hora hasta su cima viene altamente recomendada por las vistas circulares tan increíbles sobre las ruinas y los picos y valles que las rodean. Antes de emprender la subida, pasamos por el Barrio Sagrado (que aún no habíamos visitado), pero siendo uno de los sitios más populares estaba abarrotado de gente, así que pensamos que mejor lo dejábamos para más tarde porque no podíamos retrasar la subida
MACHU PICCHU: VizcachaMACHU PICCHU: VizcachaMACHU PICCHU: Vizcacha

Abundant in South America, this rodent looks like a cross between a rabbit and a chinchilla ********* Abundante en Sudamérica, este roedor parece un cruce de un conejo con una chinchilla
a Waynapicchu mucho más (no está permitido comenzarla después de la 1, hay un puesto de registro donde controlan el número de personas que suben cada día).

La pesada subida a Waynapicchu lleva algo más de una hora; el camino es bastante estrecho y nos sentimos agradecidos de que en ciertos puntos había cuerdas a las que agarrarse, porque la caída vertical que tienes a un lado no es para los débiles de piernas. Pero el esfuerzo definitivamente merece la pena porque las vistas son verdaderamente espectaculares, y sin duda alguna de las mejores que hemos disfrutado hasta hora - incluso si las ruinas no existieran.

Después de Waynapicchu subimos Huchuypichu (“Montaña Pequeña”, 2.479 m) que es el pico más pequeño detrás de la cabeza de Mark, a la izquierda. Las vistas no son tan circulares porque Waynapicchu está por medio, pero sí se obtiene desde la cima una vista “de pájaro” mucho más cercana de las ruinas así que sólo por esto bien que mereció la pena la subida también. No había nadie más así que nos quedamos aquí bastante rato disfrutando de las vistas y absorbiéndolo todo bien, y cuando regresamos al puesto de registro la chica nos dió un gran suspiro de alivio. La boba se había olvidado de decirnos que siendo domingo cerraban una hora antes y andaba ya toda preocupada pensando que nos había pasado algo y considerando mandar a alguien a que nos buscara. Y mientras tanto nosotros pensando que teníamos todo el tiempo del mundo. Mark se llevó una jugosa manzana como premió por ser la última persona en salir.

Nos llevamos una grata sorpresa al descubrir que la gran mayoría de los visitantes se habían cansado y regresado al pueblo, de manera que aún quedando dos horas más antes del cierre, el sitio estaba prácticamente desierto. Aparte de unos tres grupos y un pequeño número de rezagados como nosotros, nos quedamos con el sitio casi para nosotros solos otra vez, ¡genial Con el número de visitantes reducido casi a cero, los habitantes usuales empezaron a salir de sus escondrijos; aparte de varios pájaros nos encontramos con un par de lagartos disfrutando de los últimos rayos del sol y una vizcacha. Esta última fue toda una sorpresa, ya que yo lo que quería era sacar una foto de una planta y según estoy enfocando la cámara el bichito éste apareció
AGUAS CALIENTES: Pachacutec Inca YupanquiAGUAS CALIENTES: Pachacutec Inca YupanquiAGUAS CALIENTES: Pachacutec Inca Yupanqui

Revered as possibly the greatest Inca emperor: Visionary politician, skilled architect, efficient administrator and fierce warrior, he initiated the expansion of the empire beyond the borders of what is today Peru ********* Venerado como posiblemente el más grande emperador Inca: político visionario, experto arquitecto, eficiente administrador y feroz guerrero, inició la expansión del imperio más allás de las fronteras del actual Perú
por detrás y se sentó al lado de la planta durante varios minutos, ¡parecía que estaba posando y todo!

Nos quedaba ya menos de una hora antes de que nos echaran cuando decidimos volver al Barrio Sagrado. Nos quedamos alucinados al ver a un individuo dentro de una zona acordonada, sentado encima de uno de los símbolos más sagrados (si no “el más” sagrado) en todo el sitio, de frente al sol poniente y meditando en una especie de posición de yoga. Había con él una chica mucho más joven rodándole con una videocámara y sacándole fotos. Otra pareja de turistas le miraba también con total incredulidad, pero nadie se atrevió a decir nada durante varios minutos, aunque sí hicimos comentarios entre nosotros. El tipo no parecía ni haberse percatado de nuestra presencia, hasta que ya no pude callarme más y le pregunté si tenía planeado bajarse pronto, recordándole que la cuerda estaba ahí por algo y que no debería haber entrado al sitio para empezar. Al principio me ignoró por completo, pero como insistí, volvió la mirada y fresco como una lechuga me respondió que tenía “una buena razón para estar ahí”. Después de un “intercambio de opiniones”, al que se unió Mark diciéndole que era un desconsiderado y que si se daba cuenta de que éste era un sitio sagrado que debía respetar, no utilizar de asiento, fueran las que fueran las razones que tuviera, nos respondió en un tono más que arrogante que no tenía prisa por bajarse, y añadió “denunciadme si queréis”.

No necesitó decírnoslo dos veces. Como era hora de salir de todas formas, nos dirigimos a la entrada y se lo comentamos a los empleados. Desafortunadamente se debió oler que efectivamente nos íbamos a chivar y salió por la puerta un par de minutos después de nosotros, así que no le pillaron con las manos en la masa. Pero la tecnología moderna se volvió contra él cuando enseñé una foto que le había sacado como prueba a los empleados, que se quedaron horrorizados y llamaron a la policía sin perder un instante. La policía dijo que le estarían esperando en el pueblo y pidieron que nos acercáramos a la comisaría cuando llegáramos nosotros (tuvimos que esperar al siguiente bus porque el que abordó él ya estaba lleno). Cuando llegamos a la comisaría ya le estaban interrogando y le habían confiscado tanto la cámara como la cámara de video. Nos recibió el administrador de las ruinas, y otra señora que no sabemos quién era; nos pidieron nuestra versión de los hechos y nos agradecieron vehemente y repetidamente por haberle denunciado. Al parecer encontraron gran cantidad de material incriminatorio en las cámaras, que sospechaban iba a ser utilizado como marketing para una escuela de majaretas que tenía planeado abrir en el extranjero (la palabra “extraterrestres” salió en la conversación - hay gente que cree que Machu Picchu fue en realidad construida por extraterrestres, ¡y aún espera que vuelvan de visita algún día!), y temían que habría animado a otros a hacer lo mismo. También nos pidieron que no publicáramos la foto en la web (por esta misma razón), ni diéramos todos los detalles, así que respetamos la petición, sólo que aún queríamos contar la anécdota porque nos produjo una satisfacción tremenda enseñar una lección a alguien que no supo mostrar respeto por el lugar que estaba visitando. Aunque hemos de añadir que nos decepcionó que la policía no nos pidiera prestar declaración jurada, ¡pero quizás hemos visto demasiada tele!

En agradecimiento, el administrador nos consiguió un descuento considerable en un hotel bien majo (el sitio donde pasamos la noche anterior era horrible), y nos llevó a los baños termales que dan nombre al pueblo, pagando tasa de residente y no de turista. Las piscinas son todas naturales, tienes diferentes temperaturas y apestan a sulfuro. Esto no parece importarles a los del pueblo, que se apelotonan en ellas como si fueran garbanzos en remojo. A nosotros no nos pareció particularmente agradable pero no queriendo ofender nos quedamos un rato y después nos disculpamos con la excusa de que llevábamos en pie desde las 5 de la mañana y regresamos al hotel a por una buena ducha.

Al día siguiente regresamos a Cuzco por una noche más antes de dirigirnos a nuestro próximo destino, cuya existencia también ha sido ligada a actividad extraterrestre. ¡Pero qué obsesión con las criaturas verdes (no los peruanos, sino “expertos” extranjeros), ni que fuera un episodio de Expediente X!

Advertisement



12th November 2006

Que fotos más guay
Hola Mark y Maria, somos David y Alba. Hemos estado viendo las fotos que mandais y nos gustan mucho, sobre todo las de los bichos. Nos hemos reido mucho de esos trajes tan raros que os habéis puesto. Y vaya morro que tiene el osito que lo está viendo todo, pero que tenga cuidado con los cocodrilos y las pirañas no se lo vayan a merendar. Un beso para los dos de los cuatro.
13th December 2006

Well Done
Well done on getting the chap reprimanded by the police - so many people would have just walked by and not said anything. Plus - it does make for an exciting tale to tell too! ;-))
11th June 2008

I LOVED READDING ABOUT UR EXPERIANCE TO MY COUNTRY. MY FRIEND AND I ARE GOING IN A FEW WEEKS SO IM REALLY GLAD THAT I RAN INTO UR BLOG. THANKS FOR THE DETAILS. RJ =0)
3rd September 2009

Agradecido
Holas Mark y Maria, gracias por visitar mi pais, Peru, y por esa lección que nos han dado protegiendo celosamente el valor de nuestras ruinas, de gente obtusa como el tipo ese. Venga, -como dicen los españoles-, que espero que continuen sus travesias. Recien he dado con su blog pues estuve buscando informacion del Cusco y Macchu Picchu, y es que en unas semanas (23 de septiembre 2009 para ser mas preciso) ire por fin !!! a conocer esta maravilla del mundo !!!. Felicitaciones, me encantó el blog, las fotos, el relato muy didactico. Abrazos, Helard

Tot: 0.392s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 21; qc: 109; dbt: 0.1209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb