We survived the jungle


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
September 21st 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

But first we had to get from our hotel in Lima to the airport. Dot was edgy because she was woken by ¨gunshots¨in the middle of the night. Could have been fireworks, but strange time to have them, 3 am! The Mini Bus ride - all eight of us with our luggage was like a ride down the rapids in a sardine can. Cramped and frenetic!! Our first look at the Andes was a little bland thru the clouds but they started to impress when the snow caps appeard a little later.
We touched down in Puerto Maldanado at about midday.....talk about steamy ! We bussed it to the centre of town for a quick guided tour of the local market to stock up on essentials for the next two days in the jungle. After an incredibly dusty 45 minute bus ride we were piled into skinny wooden outboard powered canoes, and motored for 2 hours up river to our lodge in the heart of the Amazonian jungle.
First up we were greated with a refreshing jungle cocktail produced from a local bush, then told to grab our torches for a night trek through the jungle to get acquainted with the local wildlife.
The following morning we were woken at 4:30 am for our 5km trek to the local oxbow lake (whose name escapes us at the moment) to see the giant otters. Along the way we saw a deer, monkeys, numerous birds and insects. Then 5 km home again.
In the afternoon we had some free time and on returning to our room we were challenged by a beautiful, though rather large and agressive Macaw. Stunning plumage but it took some convincing to get Dot past it into the room. Then it tried to open the door and join us. How rude.!
Sport for this evening was Caiman spotting by spotlight from our canoes. We saw several and one on the bank posed for photos and then slithered into the river towards our flimsy little boat. All very exciting !
Next day was back the way we came. The jungle lived up to its reputation as a steamy, exciting and vibrant experience that we will long remember.
We are now in Cuzco preparing for our 6 am start tomorrow, for our Inca Trail Trek. Cuzco is a butiful historical city and we will have a look around today and report after our next adventure.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb