Rest Break After Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Callao
February 15th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we got back to the ship from Machu Picchu on Wednesday morning, the ship being in port until Thursday evening and so to my relief, realized we had time to do a trip and some shopping, although not that day as we were too tired so took it easy.

Woke up Thursday Morning as fresh as a daisy, well almost, to the view outside the cabin window of the port of Callao, Lima in Peru. Callao has a population of 700,000 and is the port for the city of Lima, Peru's capital, but the two cities have merged and the area is now one huge metropolis of 9 million inhabitants. Lima was the vice regal capital, of which the splendid historical centre, designated by UNESCO as a WORLD heritage Site, is a fitting legacy.

So our trip. Well we went to lunch with a Peruvian gentleman by the name of Francisco Diez Canseco, president of the Peace Council in Peru. What an interesting guy he was, could have listened to him for hours whether you agreed with his politics or not. He was apparently an ex MP in Peru. Same problem as us in the UK in so much that he has four children, three still at home which he is not able to get to move away.

After that, back to the ship, dinner and then to the show. Well we had a comedian by the name of Dave Buck. Never heard of him and probably will not hear of him in the future, will say no more.

So today, Friday, we are at sea arriving at our next destination on Saturday morning, Manta in Ecuador. There you go Ash, found out the country, a joke between the two of us. Sea on Sunday and then Monday another highlight, passing through the Panama Canal. Will report back on these two destinations next time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb