Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
February 15th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok where were we. Ah yes, Bobby Crush, a wonderful artist , hope you have all been on the web to download some of his music, no doubt JT already has his albums on vinyl. Sadly, we had an announcement over the ships tannoy and to quote, "Bobby Crush has now departed the vessel" Oh well there will be another time.

So we arrived in Arika, Chile, on Monday, but not able to say much as to what it was like as we departed the ship ourselves to fly off to Manchu Pincchu. Just a few facts about Arica which I was able to collect for you all. The population is 160,000 and is the most northerly city and port in the Republic of Chile and is only 12 miles from the Peruvian border. This part of South America has always been prone to earthquakes and the city was devastated several times in the 17th century. A further disaster was the decline in output from the Potosi silver mines and, to make matters even worse, a malaria outbreak in 1713 decimated the population.

OK, now for Machu Picchu itself. As I said, we left the ship first thing Monday morning to take the short flight to the city of Cusko, some 13,000 feet above sea level. The flight took just one hour but that was one hour too long for me, I hate flying. When we arrived, having crossed the border from Chile into Peru, and having had to put our watches back by one hour, we had lunch and then a tour around the city.

Well what a tour, first we went to a church, then a cathedral, then another church and then, yes you guessed it, another one. To make it a bit more interesting, we were taken to an artists gallery, although by this time it was getting late and he was about to close. So back to the hotel which I must say was very impressive and the food was out of this world. An early night was had as we were being given a wake up call the next morning at 0430, yes that's correct 0430.

Breakfast was had and then away to get the train down to Machu Picchu shortly after 0500. The train journey itself was something, a single track railway, having to shunt backwards and forwards onto different tracks to allow the odd train to pass coming in the opposite direction. The train took some four hors to arrive at the destination, although we were given a light meal on board.

Arrived at Machu Picchu, some 9800 feet above sea level, and went to lunch before taking the tour. Now Machu Picchu itself is the name of the mountain that the city was built on, the city itself being known as "The lost city of the Inca's".

Not much I can say about the tour as the sites we saw cannot be described in words, it was amazing. Hope the pictures give some idea as to what it was all about. Have lots more pictures if anyone is interested when we get back home.

After the tour, back on the train for our return back to the hotel. Well we thought, another four hours and a meal, but how wrong can one be. The meal was served, cleared away and, to our surprise, music started in the carriage and what I can only describe as a Peruvian clown went up and down the gangway. And that was not all, no way. After he went the music changed again and we were treated to a fashion show, again up and down the gangway. Can you imagine this at home? Call Health and Safety.

Back at the hotel thinking we were in for a quiet evening after dinner, but no chance, we were again treated to a Peruvian band and dancers. All to much excitement for us in one day so off to bed.

Next morning up at 0600, breakfast and the flight back to the ship. The vessel had itself crossed into Peruvian waters so we joined it at its next port of call, which was Callao, Lima. But more on this next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb