The first day


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ayacucho
August 15th 2005
Published: August 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Buenos dias!

The day started with breakfast and went into our first meeting with the program director, Rudy. He explained a bit about the history of Ayacucho and then we went to visit some work sites.

The first site we visited was the URPI orphanage. It is close to where we live. It is a boys orphanage ages 6-16. This is one of my work sites so I was glad to see it. The boys were so happy to see us. They were anxious to chat with us and pose for pictures. It was unbelieveably heartwarming to se their smiles and feel their arms around you. I know I will love it here.

The second site was a soup kitchen. It was very small, but warm and inviting. The women were cooking when we arrived, but no children were present yet.

The third place was a school. Before our bus even came to a stop, kids were running into the streets to greet us. Just like the orphanage, smiles were abundant. All of the children were happy; huge smiles on their beautiful faces. I have taken so many pictures, probably over 500 so far.

We also visited a health clinic and the outside of the prison. After lunch, we had a tour of the city. The city has many university students and all the places we visited were alive with people. It seems like a fun place. We visited a market, which might cause me to be a vegetarian. I don´t think I need to elaborate.

We finished the day with dinner. We were supposed to have our first Spanish class tonight but the teacher couldn´t make it. We are going to have it tomorrow. It was a great day. Thanks for all the emails. Keep them coming. Gracias por leeando mi journal.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb