The White City


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
October 29th 2005
Published: November 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lima to Arequipa


Arequipa is known as The White City, since many of the buildings were constructed using sillar, which is a white volcanic stone. They were holding regional elections when I arrived, which made the bus from Lima twice as crowded and twice as expensive. Voting is mandatory. They vote much like we do in the States, with simple ballots dropped into boxes at churches and schools. I found the climate warm and mild, and the people very down to earth. There are a few sights to see in Arequipa, one is the Santa Catalina Monastery and the other is a museum housing Juanita, the Ice Princess. She is a remarkably well-preserved mummy of a young girl sacrificed by the Incas around 500 years ago. Unfortunately you can´t photograph her; she is kept in a dark room under freezing conditions, inside a special glass box donated by Japan. Santa Catalina Monastery is a beautiful walled-in city within the city, which housed well-to-do nuns for centuries. Inside there are streets, homes, churches, communal kitchens, and huge fountains. Nearby, the main square is lovely, if rather overpopulated by pigeons.

After a few days in Arequipa, I headed out to see Colca Canyon. It is one of the deepest in the world at just under 11,000 feet. If you´re lucky you can spot the elusive condor, which is endangered. I saw three of them, but couldn´t get a good photo. Before the canyon, one stops at a village called Chivay. The kids find interesting ways to entertain themselves. For example, I saw two boys under six years old throwing ten-inch iron nails at each other´s faces. None of the adults walking by bothered to say anything. I told them to be careful, but they didn´t listen...They were just having so much fun and giggling all the while!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

On the Way to Colca CanyonOn the Way to Colca Canyon
On the Way to Colca Canyon

Chivay is beautifully set among mountains and fertile farmland.
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

At other places along the canyon, it is twice as deep as the Grand Canyon!


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb